Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 23

Author Topic: Catfia: Dogs vs Cats Untitled Cat Game (Mafia Victory)  (Read 14454 times)

Crystalizedmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Catfia: Dogs vs Cats Day 1 Take 2
« Reply #180 on: October 31, 2023, 07:02:35 pm »

Cry:  Your play's reasonably town to me.  I want to ask though, yesterday, you even quoted me quoting Max's dogtor claim, but you didn't address any questions to Max, you asked me about my somewhat poeticness.  Why'd you let a day pass without a reaction to Max's claim?  What did you think initially?  You've told us you didn't realize it could be part of an attempt to make the doctor reveal, Max to reveal 'jokester/liar/townie don't lynch me please I was trying to help' - okay.  But what were you thinking, and why'd you let it pass without challenge?
I was focused on your reaction because I thought it was a bit poetic. I thought nothing of Max's claim other than 'Maximum Spin is joking' and I let it pass without a challenge because of that.
she/her

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 31, 2023, 08:04:33 pm »

Also, Max - please share what you choose to say of your current read on everyone?
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 31, 2023, 09:02:34 pm »

I am wondering if your playstyle's to look at least somewhat scummy every game, regardless of if you are town or scum.
Not intentionally, but it tends to work out that way. My playstyle has two core parts. One is to take bold brash actions and control the game evolution, forcing others into a reactive position. The other part is to just do whatever I feel like doing at any given moment, because life's too short to overanalyze things. My unpredictable YOLO style makes me dangerous and weird, which keeps everyone guessing. Then I eat the other players' brains and learn their alignments.

What are you doing, Max, and how does it help town?
I actually had a whole analysis in my head back when you asked me not to post until last - I actually was going to do what you asked, it was a reasonable enough request, you know - but I'm just not feeling it now. The moment passed, but I'll see what I can salvage.

Broadly, there are five possible roles in this game: DOCTOR, COP, NORMIE, GODFATHER, and HENCHMAN. Each one has different possible motivations for making a claim. I'll forgo the obvious - of course I'm going to say that I'm town - and just focus on the first three.

The doctor, of course, semi-ironically, has the least reason to claim doctor on the first day. However, the obvious exception is if the doctor is me. The thing is, I'm almost certainly the first player to be killed here. I'm dangerous and weird. It's just a personality flaw. I'd be willing to bet that, if the first half of the game had gone into n1, sofanthiel and Quarque would have killed me. Most of the players are, well, noobs. So, if I'm actually the doctor, I know that I'm probably going to get killed and my value to town is thus limited. Under the circumstances, I might just claim right away to bait the kill, trying to make it a sure thing so that I can guarantee that the cop doesn't get killed instead. On the other hand, I might also be thinking that, if I claim as a joke, making it seem like I want the mafia to kill me first, they might assume I'm nobody important and actually try killing someone else instead. I might even hope that one of the vanilla townie players might have the presence of mind to counter-claim me in order to trick the mafia and draw the bullet to a less important role. Of course such hopes would clearly be misplaced in this noob-filled game.

For the cop, claiming doctor and essentially begging to get killed is a risky play, but a potentially powerful one if the real doctor catches on to the underlying message: protect me so that the mafia try to kill me and fail. It even sets up a future cop reveal insofar as claiming a power role, but lying about which one, is a relatively common and understood town misdirection. So this claim would tend to promote town trust toward that player, providing you DON'T get killed. But then, if you're me, and you're assuming you get killed anyway unless the doctor protects you, it's the obvious tactic to try to get the doctor's attention.

For the normie, basically the same calculus applies, except that it's suddenly a win-win. The vanilla townie's goal should basically always be to draw the kill away from the actually useful people, and if you can draw the kill AND the protect, all the better. It might fairly be said that a more experienced player like me shouldn't be too foolhardy about this when his expertise is more useful for town alive, but that obviously doesn't avail when you're me and you definitely get killed regardless. Of course, in that case, the ideal scenario is, once again, that the doctor catches on and quietly protects you. But I think we've proven that this is also too much to hope for.

I will, of course, not be telling you which of these scenarios applies. That would undermine the whole point.
You can also figure out for yourself some motivations a mafia version of me might have to do these things, but I think you'll have to admit that the motives are clearly weaker for scum. It's drawing a lot of attention for minimal benefit. Even if you think the idea is to draw out the real doctor to counterclaim... I legitimately do not think any of you would be complete enough morons to do that. Nobody would ever do that, that's just stupid. In that scenario, the real doctor would, of course, have to evaluate for himself whether to assume the fake claim is scum or town, but either way, just take the smokescreen that's offered to you. In particular, though, I think it would be especially foolish for the henchman to make that claim, because it's just begging to get investigated. The godfather might want to do it for that very reason, but it's certainly risky. I admit I believe that it's fully within my range of what I might do, but only because everything is.

Okay, I guess I ended up writing plenty after all. When I get into it, it flows.

Also, Max - please share what you choose to say of your current read on everyone?
Sure. I feel like couch, cryer, and kitteh all basically seem like noobs with no idea, so they're probably not scum. You, Quarque, and steak sauce are my logical POE. Still, I know from that previous game with Snowkiller that some of the noobs do have balls, so - particularly if you really are town - I wouldn't rule them out completely.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 31, 2023, 09:12:03 pm »

Sure. I feel like couch, cryer, and kitteh all basically seem like noobs with no idea, so they're probably not scum. You, Quarque, and steak sauce are my logical POE. Still, I know from that previous game with Snowkiller that some of the noobs do have balls, so - particularly if you really are town - I wouldn't rule them out completely.
[/quote]

Hugely appreciate your answers.

I'll digest the rest as I can, but wanna check here a little more.

"couch, cryer, and kitteh all basically seem like noobs with no idea, so they're probably not scum"

looks up mafia POE, ahh, process of elimination

Why can't scum seem like noobs with no idea, or why is that rare?  For that matter, is that an unlikely way for a scum to try and hide?

"Snowkiller"  - which one of us is that?

Are you aware that your currently provided reads are really short, not really town-useful, and pretty low effort?  You do say a lot about your thoughts about the doctor call, which I appreciate.

What are your thoughts about how each player has played, if any of them seem townlike, scumlike, and why?

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 31, 2023, 09:34:03 pm »

Max, also.  About your analysis, you don't even seem to consider how the rest of town might react to the doctor claim.  You seem to predict that if you're claiming doctor while actually not being doctor, you're setting up for the doctor to protect you in the night.

You don't even seem to think it possible that the town might consider lynching you, on the possibility or likelihood that you may be a super audacious scum claiming doctor, with or without the concerns some stated as they placed votes.  What was your consideration about that, if any?  You don't even mention it now, when it's what's potentially about to happen.

You currently sit with 5 votes on you.  Are you the sort of player who, as town, allows the town suffer for the way they read your behavior?

To me, right now, you read as more likely to be scum than town.  I don't see scum hunting, I don't see you trying to prepare your town for victory regardless of when you might die, be it D1, N1, later, or never.

I'm willing to call your audacious claims as 'null'.  But I believe that you work toward your team's wincon, and I don't see you currently working towards a town win.

I also don't know you really well.  Some people don't work well towards their team wincon.  It's an art, to read someone as a player with whatever strengths and flaws and correctly identify them as having 'X quirk' but using it towards a Town win or towards a Mafia win.  I'm also not highly accurate in actually reading town vs scum.  'Scummy' is easy to read.  But I've previously helped lynch my own team because of their difficult to read, or even poor, play. 

So, I just wanna ask, and encourage, play to your team's wincon, whatever that is.  In case we're on the same team, I'd really, really appreciate that.  If you die town I'm going to be pretty disappointed in you, because I don't see you working hard for a town win, and I expect that of everyone, and want to encourage that from everyone.  That said, if you are scum, you're doing great. 

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 31, 2023, 10:05:50 pm »

"couch, cryer, and kitteh all basically seem like noobs with no idea, so they're probably not scum"

looks up mafia POE, ahh, process of elimination

Why can't scum seem like noobs with no idea, or why is that rare?  For that matter, is that an unlikely way for a scum to try and hide?
Well, the scum might be noobs, but they always have an idea, because they know they're the scum. Of course the scum can try and hide that way, I would hope we all know that. I'm just banking on my ability to tell the difference, like in any game. In other words, I'm giving you my impressions as they are, not as they could hypothetically be, and you have to judge based on your impression of my discernment, too.

"Snowkiller"  - which one of us is that?
Nobody. I guess I can't fault you for this because I often call people by weird names. Snowkiller was an actual player in a recent game. Let me look it up...  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=181688.0 is the one I meant, where, as you can see, many of the players here were there.

Are you aware that your currently provided reads are really short, not really town-useful, and pretty low effort?
It's early on day 1 and we've barely gotten anywhere. I don't even really have "reads" yet, I just have thoughts, and I don't like sharing them. Even when under threat of lynching, it's hard for me to want to commit to something this early. Besides, any thoughts I have are probably useless if I die because they'd need to be updated as the game progresses.
What are your thoughts about how each player has played, if any of them seem townlike, scumlike, and why?
I... just answered that...? I think we have very different worldviews. I can pack a lot of meaning into just a sentence or two, so it's important to be able to fully understand what I mean. Let me explain. Sofanthiel, The Canadian kitten, and Crystalizedmire are all playing like people who don't have any information and are scrambling to figure out what's real and what isn't, or, in other words, like town.  At a minimum, I know TCk can fake it, though, and I wouldn't be surprised if the other two can too. Quarque, well, I originally thought was playing like someone who is trying to find somewhere to park a vote which other players will accept, ie, scummy, but, like I said, I don't think that push on me is within the Quarque scum meta, so I'm willing to set that aside for now. a1s seems to be playing like someone who would rather be doing anything else, which is fully consistent with previous scum meta, hence my vote. And you play like you want to control the game too, but with point-by-point dogmatic analysis, which is something I tend to strongly scumread, but is probably NAI. Kind of reminds me of Lenglon a little.

Max, also.  About your analysis, you don't even seem to consider how the rest of town might react to the doctor claim.  You seem to predict that if you're claiming doctor while actually not being doctor, you're setting up for the doctor to protect you in the night. [...] You don't even seem to think it possible that the town might consider lynching you, on the possibility or likelihood that you may be a super audacious scum claiming doctor, with or without the concerns some stated as they placed votes.  What was your consideration about that, if any?  You don't even mention it now, when it's what's potentially about to happen.
I mean, of course I considered it, but YOLO. It's mafia, sometimes I get lynched for being weird and dangerous, not a big deal. It's happened to me a few times. I think I have a better track record of talking my way out of lynches as mafia. Obviously, I did think about the possibility that I might have to, like now, justify the reasoning which would tend to make my original gambit fail, but it didn't stop me from wanting to do it. Like I said in the last half, during the whole claim thing... I'm not big on planning to fail. Everything always comes with the possibility of going wrong. Plan to succeed, and then make it happen.

You currently sit with 5 votes on you.  Are you the sort of player who, as town, allows the town suffer for the way they read your behavior?
Ohhhh god yes. When I've been lynched as town, I think, oh well, your funeral, now I can do something else. I won't pretend that isn't a little selfish, but it's not that I'm actually "allowing the town to suffer", it's that I can only be responsible for myself. I don't control the actions and reactions of others. I want to do the best thing I can with my actions while I have the chance, and if I expect to be killed by the mafia (as I do) I want to leave town set up the best way I can, but once I'm out, that's it. Unless there's ghost stuff, but that's not present here. I'm not even likely to hang around in deadchat. For me, the game's over when I'm dead, because I can no longer influence anything. What other players do is up to them.

To me, right now, you read as more likely to be scum than town.  I don't see scum hunting, I don't see you trying to prepare your town for victory regardless of when you might die, be it D1, N1, later, or never.

I'm willing to call your audacious claims as 'null'.  But I believe that you work toward your team's wincon, and I don't see you currently working towards a town win.
That's fine for you.

I also don't know you really well.  Some people don't work well towards their team wincon.  It's an art, to read someone as a player with whatever strengths and flaws and correctly identify them as having 'X quirk' but using it towards a Town win or towards a Mafia win.  I'm also not highly accurate in actually reading town vs scum.  'Scummy' is easy to read.  But I've previously helped lynch my own team because of their difficult to read, or even poor, play. 

So, I just wanna ask, and encourage, play to your team's wincon, whatever that is.  In case we're on the same team, I'd really, really appreciate that.  If you die town I'm going to be pretty disappointed in you, because I don't see you working hard for a town win, and I expect that of everyone, and want to encourage that from everyone.  That said, if you are scum, you're doing great.
I just don't agree that there's anything wrong with my play. I have made what I consider to be a series of perfectly reasonable moves under the circumstances. I continue to do so now. If I do, in fact, not get lynched, then my position will seem awfully vindicated. But I might not, and I do accept that as part of the cost of doing business.

Only a handful of months ago, like in this game, a start like this would have been entirely successful and probably would have drawn doctor claims from at least two more players. Actually, I really hope you read that game. It's a great example of how this kind of play can work. Instead of boring tedious questioning, we start by setting up a vibe.

Ultimately, I just didn't like the way the game was going the first time around, so I decided to go harder the second time, because, well, honestly, you were boring. I guess it was a miscalculation in that none of the players I used to vibe with are in this game, but I don't regret it. Mafia should be about being in other players' heads, not doing a checklist. Getting into all the player's heads is always playing to my wincon, because it's how I eat their brains.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 31, 2023, 10:14:02 pm »

Besides, you know, even if you do lynch me, it's Halloween night, so I just need a virgin to light the black-flame candle. Can somebody get Jim?

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 31, 2023, 10:30:13 pm »

We've got more than a real-life day to D1 end, it won't be Halloween by the time any lynch happens, alas for your candles and any potential JIMNOSIS.

Hey, they say don't give up.  I see a giant barrel of whine, but I'm trying to parse it.  I'm aware there's playstyles other than mine, and also incomprehensible to me.  But we're boring, heh?  Whatever you say.

Hoping I'll read an 88-page-game that I wasn't part of, gosh.  Might keep me busy for the rest of D1 though, heh, maybe I'd miss some stuff here.

I note that game you link where you suggest this start would have been successful in was a cult game with 11 players and a semi-bastard game as well.  I suspect it wouldn't get one night killed, but converted, perhaps.  And much fun to be had?  I'm unsure.  At a glance I can't even see where your role's revealed.  ... ahh, two glances and Fallacy's off-game ... 33 pages of notes.  And your role there was some incomprehensible to me at this point "The Fallacy’s Horrible Cults Role That Weaponizes Memes (Town)"

Yeah.  Nothing about this has anything to do with town winning this game.  Drat.

I do disagree and dislike the idea that your actions don't affect others, that we can 'only be responsible for ourselves'.  I get it, your worldview, your right.  But that doesn't mean you're correct, mindeater.  Everything we do helps or doesn't help our team.  This game, and maybe future games too.

The Canadian kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cat in the Hat demands I hand over my kneecaps
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 31, 2023, 10:44:15 pm »

Unvote

Just thinking about it, if Maxspin is truly either Mafia or a non-dogtor town role, the actual Dogtor would have spoken up, especially since the majority of us are newbs that would spend less time and just assume that you are scum for claiming.

Let me quickly read through some previous mafia game just to confirm if max is saying about a1s scum meta is true.

Other question would be
Cry: What do you think about the lack of people counter-claiming dogtor?

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 31, 2023, 11:22:09 pm »

Just thinking about it, if Maxspin is truly either Mafia or a non-dogtor town role, the actual Dogtor would have spoken up, especially since the majority of us are newbs that would spend less time and just assume that you are scum for claiming.

Wanna make sure I understand your thinking.

If Max is not dogtor, so somebody can counterclaim for real, you think someone would.  Even though not all of us are newbs, so any of us could be the actual dogtor, including not newbs, but if we have a real dogtor who is not Max, they would counterclaim, for sure?

And newbs will assume Max is scum for claiming, without thinking.  If so, why do you think it is that nobody voted him on it for over a day?

The Canadian kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cat in the Hat demands I hand over my kneecaps
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 31, 2023, 11:58:54 pm »

Because the general attitude was that Max was joking about being a dogtor, where after Quarque accuses Maxspin of scum for being too joking, Maxspin doubles down on the fact that whatever Maxspin said wasn't jokes at all.

Maxspin tend to just die because they get targeted for being one of the better players.
By claiming dogtor, they are attracting attention and likely attracting scum's attention to lynch Max.

I could see holes in my line of thinking now, too bad I can't patch it up in a decent way instead of drafting a new line of thinking.
Also constant fireworks due to Halloween keeps interrupting my thoughts and its very annoying.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 01, 2023, 12:08:20 am »

I could see holes in my line of thinking now, too bad I can't patch it up in a decent way instead of drafting a new line of thinking.

It's okay.  You're not supposed to be perfect or right or anything.  It's much easier if you're honest and possible to understand.

See, the job isn't to find the people who are human and are or aren't perfect or do or don't make mistakes.  The job's to find a way for your team to win.  Different people are better or worse at their jobs, and do them differently.

What matters isn't 'is your thinking the way I'd think' or 'is your thinking perfect' or even 'is your thinking correct'.  It just helps if others can try to figure out if your thinking has a town perspective, or a scum perspective, accounting for that it's also yours.

Also, sure, the more we think usually the better over time we get at it - that's worthwhile too.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 01, 2023, 12:11:24 pm »

Man, the silence is getting to me.  Silence during the day rarely helps town, unless we agree we think we know who the last scum to get rid of is and we just need to see the roleflip - and I'm not there at all.

Same question for everyone, I intend to answer it after everyone else - or a few hours before end of day if not everyone else has answered it yet.

Right now, Max seems a likely D1 lynch, he has currently 4 votes on him.  Even if this has changed by the time you answer this question, I still want your answer.  We've had Max be a likely D1 lynch for quite a few hours now, you've had time to think and feel about this, if you're invested in the game - you know, if you're town.  The scum, they don't have to wonder, they just gotta wait and plan for their chances to do stuff.

How do you feel about this probability?  How sure are you that Max is scum?  How sure are you that his roleflip will help you play the rest of this game, no matter how he flips?  Are you prepared for the possibility that we lynch doctor D1, or why do you think this isn't going to happen when we lynch Max, if that is done?  Have you prepared yourself for the mental and emotional costs that often come with a D1 lynch of a claimed doctor, as well as the mental and emotional rewards that often come with a D1 lynch of scum that made an outrageous not-counterclaimed doctor claim?

Do you see any use or benefit to town in keeping Max alive past D1, compared to the value of his roleflip or outright removal from play at the close of D1?

I prefer to answer last because I'm aware that my detailed and focused answer is likely to affect how some lower-effort and less involved players may answer.  I'd prefer to see their thinking, not my own echoed back to me as best someone else who just chooses that method chooses to give.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 01, 2023, 12:18:28 pm »

Nearly 2/3rds of D1 has passed, with very little activity in the last 12 hours and little change in vote activity since the last tally.  I see this as our current vote count and voting statistics:

- Maximum Dog (4)- Quarque, sofanthiel, Crystalizedmire, a1s
- The Canadian "Dog" (0)-
- sofanthiel's D.O.G. (0)-
- Quarque the Dog (0)-
- a1sdog3god (2)- Imp, Maximum Spin
- What's Imp Dog (0)-
- Crystalizedogs (0)-
- No Lynch (0)-
- No Vote (1)- The Canadian kitten

~27 hours remaining

Vote switches:
Max switched from sof to a1s.
Qua switched from Imp to Max.
Cry switched from Qua to a1s to Max.
TCk switched from Max to unvote.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 01, 2023, 01:02:45 pm »

Same question for everyone
Does that include me? Serious question, to me it seems like you can assume my answers but maybe you really want to know.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 23