Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 23

Author Topic: Catfia: Dogs vs Cats Untitled Cat Game (Mafia Victory)  (Read 14528 times)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: Catfia: Dogs vs Cats Day 1 Take 2
« Reply #150 on: October 30, 2023, 10:15:30 pm »

You didn't direct this question.  I can't remember if I played with wuba or not.   I last played nearly a decade ago.  I've read so much, and have a decent memory (that doesn't really focus on names much, more info in general)
I did mean you, but fair enough. I continue to be curious about exactly what playstyle it is that you detest so much.

I'm caught up on the thread, but it's getting late and I'm not sure I want to say anything right now. I have two decent townreads, at least.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 31, 2023, 01:11:37 am »

I'm begging you please not to rehash every little bad joke other players make in your analysis though.  :-X

Hehe!  I'm just going to comment about that... when I analyze, I'm looking at content.  If somebody makes a post that contains stuff that seems significant to me and happens to joke as well, I'm probably only going to mention the joke if I think it's relevant.  But what if the post appears to me to just be a joke?  That the person's active matters.  But how are they active?  Are they just goofing around, letting time pass until they can use their scumkill?

Also, I may read something as a joke that you read as useful or meaningful in a different way.  That gives you the chance to notice 'scummy imp's writing off good play as jokes again' or 'wait, that wasn't a joke - oh!  Imp may not realize that this word has a special meaning in Mafia' and then maybe you tell me something town-useful for me to know and help me be a better player than I was before.

For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 31, 2023, 03:54:01 am »

I heard that a1s is definitely a good dog.
I know you're making fun of me, but that just portrays me as a non-threatening goof.

a1s: Who sent in the best doggie photo?
Max did. That's not an endorsement for him being town, though.

I will try to share my reads now:
It's pretty suspicious that Max has claimed doctor. I know he trollin as a tactic, but still.
Imp talks with machine-gun speed. Is that a sign of a guilty conscience? Or do they just know what they're doing?

More reads after I drink some coffee.

I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 31, 2023, 11:08:56 am »

I heard that a1s is definitely a good dog.
I know you're making fun of me, but that just portrays me as a non-threatening goof.
I wouldn't call it making fun of you, exactly. Just referencing you as an opportunity to defer a question I particularly dislike answering.

I'm not so sure you're non-threatening, either. I remember you as scum in... Fallacy's godawful shooty game, was it? Not to contradict myself about questions, but would you say you're playing differently now?

Guys, I clearly claimed doctor because I'm the doctor. I don't know why you're making such a big deal out of this. I definitely die n1 anyway, so I might as well admit it.

All right. I want to hear more from Canuck, sofa, and Crymea River right now. You give off the impression of not having much of a clue what's going on.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 31, 2023, 11:39:38 am »

Maximum Spin

I will just put my cards on the table.

From observing Maximum Spin's behavior, I've noticed some tendencies that appear consistent across different alignments but also some key differences between "Town Spin" and "Scum Spin."

Common Traits:
  • Dislike for stupid questions
  • A tendency to play cautiously and not reveal too much about their thoughts.
  • A general intelligent, but somewhat withdrawn playing style, which is notably distinct from Imp's more engaging approach.

Distinguishing Scum Spin:
  • Scum Spin seems to exhibit an even more smug and dismissive attitude compared to Town Spin.
  • Their jokes often take on a snarky and indifferent tone, showing a certain level of carelessness.
  • Town Spin is laser-focused on WINNING. Scum Spin somewhat lacks the clear focus by comparison.

I didn't take their day 1 doctor declaration serious at all, especially given the jokey overall post. But the string of snarky jokes they started with, with little more than a mock accusation of Sofanthiel, set off my scum alerts screaming.

Now the drawback of saying this all out loud so early is that they can now change their behavior and deny it, but I made up my mind. If this is Town Spin I will eat my hat.

(luckily I have no hat so that's a safe promise)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 31, 2023, 12:11:39 pm »

I actually haven't made any jokes this game.

Well, I don't think this is within your scum meta, so...
I guess I should be voting a1s.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 31, 2023, 12:47:37 pm »

I'm speaking less because I really want to listen.

A few thoughts though.

I note everyone has spoken in the thread multiple times since Max claimed doctor.  I note there are no direct counterclaims.  To my thinking, three things are possible:

1)  Max is town and doctor, nobody counterclaims because no other town sees any advantage in lying about it, and scum doesn't want to go down that rabbit hole either.

2) Max is town, but not doctor.  Nobody counterclaims because the real doctor is still thinking about what to do, maybe even wondering if Max is town trying to protect the real doc or scum trying to protect scum.  That could get really interesting if scum decide to claim doc, and the real doc now knows there's 2 'not docs, but claiming doc' out there.

3) Max is scum.  Nobody counterclaims because the real doctor is still thinking about what to do, maybe even wondering if Max is town trying to protect the real doc or scum trying to protect scum.

I'd appreciate if everyone would at least briefly discuss their ideas about my thinking about this.  Where is this thinking right and/or wrong, and why?  Max, if you don't mind, discuss last?

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 31, 2023, 02:13:11 pm »

Almost 1/3 of D1 has passed.  I see this as our vote count and voting statistics:

- Maximum Dog (1)- Quarque
- The Canadian "Dog" (0)-
- sofanthiel's D.O.G. (0)-
- Quarque the Dog (1)- Crystalizedmire
- a1sdog3god (2)- Imp, Maximum Spin
- What's Imp Dog (0)-
- Crystalizedogs (0)-
- No Lynch (0)-

Not voting: The Canadian kitten, sofanthiel, a1s

~48.5 hours remaining

Vote switches:
Max switched from sof to a1s.
Qua switched from Imp to Max.

Have never voted:  TCk, sof, a1s

sofanthiel

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Cod
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 31, 2023, 02:41:00 pm »

I'm begging you please not to rehash every little bad joke other players make in your analysis though.

Hey!  I'm at least a little bit funny some of the time... hopefully.

I want to hear more from Canuck, sofa, and Crymea River right now. You give off the impression of not having much of a clue what's going on.

That's because there's not much to have a clue about on day 1.
My only true read per se is that Max claiming doctor in the very first post and subsequently adding onto it with an absurd statement, thus making the original assertion seem like it was always intended to be a joke, appears as an orchestrated plan B, set in place in case the accusation wasn't taken at face value (which, thankfully, it wasn't).  I will also say that Imp's interactions with Quarque almost make Qua come across as unusually unaware--a trait I don't really associate with that player.  I know this may be a pretty out-there theory, but what if it's somewhat intentional from Imp's side, perhaps as an attempt to give the impression of being the more experienced player, the one in control?  I will admit, however, that I feel similar about myself when interfacing with Imp, so maybe there's no subconscious deception happening on that front after all?
I forgot my love of rolling down the hill on the lawn.
I never noticed it until it was gone.

Crystalizedmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 31, 2023, 02:53:27 pm »

1)  Max is town and doctor, nobody counterclaims because no other town sees any advantage in lying about it, and scum doesn't want to go down that rabbit hole either.

2) Max is town, but not doctor.  Nobody counterclaims because the real doctor is still thinking about what to do, maybe even wondering if Max is town trying to protect the real doc or scum trying to protect scum.  That could get really interesting if scum decide to claim doc, and the real doc now knows there's 2 'not docs, but claiming doc' out there.

3) Max is scum.  Nobody counterclaims because the real doctor is still thinking about what to do, maybe even wondering if Max is town trying to protect the real doc or scum trying to protect scum.
I feel like 2 and 3 are the most plausible because a doctor claiming is a death sentence because scum will target them
Then I realized that it is very possible Maximum Spin that would claim doctor for pure wifom so scenario 1 isn't impossible.
This is assuming Maximum Spin is at least partially serious though.

All right. I want to hear more from Canuck, sofa, and Crymea River right now. You give off the impression of not having much of a clue what's going on.
Yes, we do not have a clue of what's going on, this is day 1 after all. Also, I'm terrible at reading people so I'm just going to pressure vote a1s.
she/her

sofanthiel

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Cod
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 31, 2023, 03:07:49 pm »

I feel like 2 and 3 are the most plausible because a doctor claiming is a death sentence because scum will target them

It's also plausible that it was an attempt to bait the real doctor into counter-claiming, which would've prompted Spin to respond by pretending that he was just messing around.  Long story short, we wouldn't have a doctor upon waking up the next morning!
I forgot my love of rolling down the hill on the lawn.
I never noticed it until it was gone.

The Canadian kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cat in the Hat demands I hand over my kneecaps
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 31, 2023, 04:26:03 pm »

Same as Sofa, I don't have a clue on what is even happening currently, other than the dogtor claim stuff

Also dropping a vote on Maximum Spin
The dogtor claim does not sit right nor is sensible to do so d1

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 31, 2023, 04:46:56 pm »

Since everyone else has voted, I guess I should too: Maximum Spin
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Crystalizedmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 31, 2023, 04:48:02 pm »

It's also plausible that it was an attempt to bait the real doctor into counter-claiming, which would've prompted Spin to respond by pretending that he was just messing around.  Long story short, we wouldn't have a doctor upon waking up the next morning!
I actually didn't think of that. Maximum Spin
she/her

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 31, 2023, 04:52:32 pm »

Counts Everyone but Qua has responded since my question about Max's doctor claim.  Everyone's had a chance to answer me or not, except for Qua, and Qua said a bit about their thinking on the ideas before I spelled them out here.

So, Max, my request that you speak last about it is essentially complete.  I don't think you'd do what I ask anyway, but removing my request, especially given how things have changed since I made it.

I have more to say (and am really glad I got to hear several others speak, even if briefly!) but wanted to say this fast and first.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 23