Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 23

Author Topic: Catfia: Dogs vs Cats Untitled Cat Game (Mafia Victory)  (Read 14565 times)

sofanthiel

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Cod
    • View Profile
Re: Catfia: Dogs vs Cats Day 1 Take 2
« Reply #135 on: October 30, 2023, 05:44:08 pm »

Maximum Snow
I forgot my love of rolling down the hill on the lawn.
I never noticed it until it was gone.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 30, 2023, 05:46:31 pm »

It's not trolling, it's a legitimate game tactic.

I can't explain it to you, though, or it wouldn't work. So you'll just have to trust me.

The Canadian kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cat in the Hat demands I hand over my kneecaps
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 30, 2023, 05:48:05 pm »

Unfortunately, my 1/2 brain cell does not allow me to process the information I gathered from whatever general scum-hunting tips and tricks effectively so this may just be a long and painful process for me

Sofa: Why are you so friendly to the point its been giving bad feelings about it?

Cry: Assuming you didn't just voted Quarque for the presumably funni, Who else at the start of this game would you have voted for?

Imp: If you were a cop, who would you investigate on n1? If it is the same as your currently voted person, then who would you investigate other than that?

MaxSpin: Who do you think is the best doggie other than you?

Quarque: As so many things went over my head during the last iteration of this game. Why were you considered a demoralized scum?

a1s: Who sent in the best doggie photo? I don't really have anything to ask other than that sorry.

me just staring at the text trying to push this through as best i can for the past 30 mins or so.

PPE: The Spin works in mysterious ways, just as long as they aren't immediately killed in the game

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 30, 2023, 05:51:26 pm »

MaxSpin: Who do you think is the best doggie other than you?
I heard that a1s is definitely a good dog. Can't argue with that logic.

Crystalizedmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 30, 2023, 05:58:08 pm »

Cry: Assuming you didn't just voted Quarque for the presumably funni, Who else at the start of this game would you have voted for?
I did vote Quarque for the funni and because I have to get the conversation rolling. Other than that, I would have probably voted for Maximum Spin who's hard to read according to experienced players.
she/her

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 30, 2023, 06:04:53 pm »

Unfortunately, my 1/2 brain cell does not allow me to process the information I gathered from whatever general scum-hunting tips and tricks effectively so this may just be a long and painful process for me
I feel your pain.  Max's play style gets me there too.  I'm trying to endure and even learn to enjoy it - if it helps reveal scum (be that Max or any other) it has value.  Even if I'd rather we all used any other way to find scum if we could.

Imp: If you were a cop, who would you investigate on n1? If it is the same as your currently voted person, then who would you investigate other than that?

Too soon for me to have a meaningful pick who to investigate N1.  In this game, if Godfather mafia's still alive, any cop read of town is iffy, you either found town or Godfather.  However, any read of scum is for sure the henchmen[sic, that's plural but we only have one].  Once Godfather's dead, then any remaining previously checked folks are for sure town - but then you have to decide if you roleclaim with investigations or not (probably a great idea depending on when, but I'd still wanna read the situation.  I'm newish to Mafia itself).

It's very possible my true pick who to investigate N1 wouldn't be made until we saw the flip of the lynched one.  Especially if we don't nail either scum D1, I really want to find that henchmen N1.  If we nail the henchmen D1, I'm not sure why to investigate at night anymore, everyone will read town.  Killing the Gf ends the game.  It's not like I can clear anyone if that's what happens.

My current vote's RVS; true random.  I do wanna see more effort from a1s still, however I'm watching everyone.  There's no risk of a hammer, nobody's even mentioned if we can have shortens (I don't recommend a shorten either), but I have no fear of my current vote potentially harming town.  I'll move it for any good reason when I have one.  However, a1s isn't scumhunting that I can understand.  That said, I don't understand all styles of scumhunting, I'm not saying I'm happy with everyone but a1s either.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

sofanthiel

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Cod
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 30, 2023, 07:11:57 pm »

Sofa: Why are you so friendly to the point its been giving bad feelings about it?

Hey, let's be fair here; I've been like this in every game I took part in! :)

While I don't see myself as overly nice but rather neutral, to answer your question, the former still beats being mean, in my opinion.
I forgot my love of rolling down the hill on the lawn.
I never noticed it until it was gone.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 30, 2023, 07:13:28 pm »

Initial reads:

Cry:  Opened with a random vote on Qua for reasons linked to out of game statement.  Stated was town when directly asked.  Wanted to know why I was a bit poet-like.  Answered when asked that dislike how emotionally heated discussions can get, and like the moments when they feel like they solve something.  Noted they think Max is trolling, confirmed they voted Qua for random and that Max would have been their second choice for reasons linked to an out of game statement.  Great activity, 6 posts so far.  Reasonable scumhunting, taking some stances on stuff.

a1s:  Opened with an un-requested statement about their innocence.  Responded to my random vote and question with unclear meaning except joking and indication of innocence.  Good activity, 2 posts so far.  No detectable scumhunting, no stances except to assert their own innocence.

sof:  Opened with a joke comment about out of game/first game try related stuff and handling Max's intense weird random vote and claim with some evaluation.  Answers my question and more oddness from Max with reasonable responses.  A third comment, joke about Max's behavior, follow up to first attempt's similar joke.  Answers TCk's random question in a reasonable way.  Great activity, 4 posts so far.  No detectable scumhunting, no stances except to answer others' questions in reasonable ways and to make jokes.

Max:  Omg, do I have to think about this?  Okay.  Opens with an unrequested town claim, and claims doctor, claims GM error that gives them full knowledge of town roles, advises mafia to kill them first, and random votes sof (while not naming sof's supposed partner).  Responds to my request to tell all and mention of disliking his style, ignores my question and just tells me to wait about the style.  (that fits last game; his style D1 before game ended did match my preferences better, so I'm actually hoping).  Chews on sof a bit more, makes more claims that another player evaluates as 'troll'.  Then defends style as not trolling, and demures explaining their style and claims must be trusted.  When asked, speaks up in favor of a1s towniness, reference to a1s's own joke (and likely not an actual evaluated stance).  Great activity, 5 posts so far.  Reasonable scumhunting, taking outlandish stances on several things.  Mostly useful to me in how he may trigger others to behave, I can't stand the style myself.  However, like a sonar ping, maybe he'll make other objects light up, even as he partially deafens me.

Qua:  Opens with a resonse to Cry's random vote, stating innocence and asking about Cry's status and a joke.  Responds to my random opening question about scumhunting by focusing tight on me, with a random vote.  Declines to answer my question about their style, instead focusing on my style.  Responds to my answers and states they try to figure out players like myself, and unasked confirms their vote isn't currently moving.  Good activity, 3 posts so far.  Tunnel-like scumhunting and some focus on self defense.

TCk:  Opened with joke and a voteless comment about Qua as scum.  Answered my random question with ideas about their behavior in an earlier game.  Not at all defensive about previous scum play when their behavior helped them that other game.  Second comment joking and self-praising/self-condemning, again commenting on own scumminess.  Asks random questions of all, starts to express a weak stance towards Max.  Some questions suggest a possible stance.  Good activity, 3 posts so far.  Intermixed behavior, challenging to read, but some detectable scumhunting.

For comparison, Imp's made 10 posts (this is 10th).

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 30, 2023, 07:20:57 pm »

Wanna mention something else about this, kit.  Your questions, responses, and how others react to you - tells everyone stuff, about you and the others.  Everything you do and don't do, and how that affects everyone else, is potentially very useful, especially to town.

Even if you can't personally read someone, you might trigger behavior that others can read.

Just want to make sure you're aware of the bigger picture - you are not the only one reading your questions and their answers, and interaction tends to help town more than anything else could, even if you yourself aren't sure (yet or ever) how to interpret what happens.

That's not stupid stuff, to me, though there can be stupid stuff frowns briefly at Max but good work, no matter what your role is this game.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 30, 2023, 07:29:24 pm »

Did you ever play with webadict?

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 30, 2023, 09:00:20 pm »

@Imp: no I'm not going to hound you all day, especially because your latest post did move my scum-o-meter into town direction. If the trend persists I will explain why later.

I'm begging you please not to rehash every little bad joke other players make in your analysis though.  :-X

Was thinking the same about a1s but you're already on it and there are two scum.

Quarque: As so many things went over my head during the last iteration of this game. Why were you considered a demoralized scum?
Because of a brief post-game analysis I had with Imp. I was demoralized the moment the GM error escalated, anyway let's kindly not keep dregging that up. What are your top two scum reads?

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 30, 2023, 09:16:03 pm »

A question for you, Imp.

If you suspect a player, what do you think is best? Barking about it immediately in the first 24 hours or waiting for them to provide more evidence before presenting your case?

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 30, 2023, 09:52:45 pm »

Did you ever play with webadict?
You didn't direct this question.  I can't remember if I played with wuba or not.   I last played nearly a decade ago.  I've read so much, and have a decent memory (that doesn't really focus on names much, more info in general)

@Imp: no I'm not going to hound you all day, especially because your latest post did move my scum-o-meter into town direction. If the trend persists I will explain why later.

My issue isn't about if you hound me or not (we're all hounds here, right?  Oh 'cept for two who aren't).  My concern is only if your efforts focus on one player alone.  You don't have to suspect many, or share your suspicions at all times.  But you really, really hurt town if you tunnel, especially if you're wrong.  Even if you're right, there's still, as you say, two scum.  Also, it's just lazy/easy play to tunnel.  It can look like scumhunting, and it's potentially fun and easy, even profitable for scum.

If you suspect a player, what do you think is best? Barking about it immediately in the first 24 hours or waiting for them to provide more evidence before presenting your case?

I have no single answer to that, nearly everything to me is specific and context-based.

Who else is in the game?
What do I know of how they've played?
What's the entire game composition like?
Do I think any players are demoralized (imp-tip [like a pro-tip, only I'm an imp, not a pro] I prefer my game-mates to have motivation and positive emotions if possible.  I'd like you all active, involved, learning, feeling challenged but not too much, hopeful even if just about how great your next game's gonna go with how much you've learned and your great ideas to try next, and ideally proud of how each has done and involved and all that good stuff)?
What are my real goals that game?
Do I think anyone else has seen what I have seen, and do I think they'd understand it and evaluate my information and myself in a way that helps my team?
How sure am I of the meaning of what I saw?

A perfect example of that was the very end of last game, when I voted sof as soon as I saw the game was ended, and explained why.  I considered sof most likely mafia trying to appear Knowing (or just buddying me), or the Know, based on their behavior towards me and what specific words they said.  I note that when I revealed this, I got some pushback.  Max in particular strongly disagreed with my view that sof might be hinting that sof Knew (maybe because sof said 'not in the Know' - but I can think of at least 1 reason why I could have been the Know and would have chosen, at some point especially early, to claim not-knowing status.  There are reasons for town to lie at certain points of play frowns at Max and they can even be potentially good for town reasons, especially if interpreted correctly by fellow town).

But I didn't reveal my supposition of sof as possible scum or possible Know until after that game had ended.  And I can't tell you when I would have revealed it as the game continued, because that would have been determined by the exact details that played out.

The Canadian kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cat in the Hat demands I hand over my kneecaps
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 30, 2023, 09:56:12 pm »

What are your top two scum reads?

I would say a1s and MaxSpin currently
reasoning would be weak because no really strong opinions

a1s for being vague and not interacting much but that can be said of me as well I guess. I should wait until they respond to stuff before revaluating if I find them scummy

Maxspin for Dogtor claiming right now, but since Maxspin is Maxspin, I would figure this is a Maxspin ploy to either help town or scum somehow. Does not make sense to me now that I taken time to think of it but, I just find the Dogtor claim odd currently

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 30, 2023, 10:05:01 pm »

I have no single answer to that, nearly everything to me is specific and context-based.
Just what I was thinking. I need to sleep on this.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 23