Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 23

Author Topic: Catfia: Dogs vs Cats Untitled Cat Game (Mafia Victory)  (Read 14591 times)

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Catfia: Dogs vs Cats Day 1 (7/7)
« Reply #90 on: October 29, 2023, 09:32:01 am »

Ok so this part of your reasoning I couldn't follow. Why is it not more than marginally useful for the doctor to know what dog they should protect?

Mostly because of the meta around role reveals.  It's very useful for the mafia to know specifics about town, but that doesn't necessarily confirm who they are striking that night.  That predictive dance is complex and can have other factors.

Like, if cop does decide to reveal then does mafia night target the cop, or presume that doctor protects the cop, so the mafia has 4 unprotected targets to kill if they are right about the presumption?

The same thing can happen with our Know.

The mafia can also attempt to appear to be the Know, since they also know for their own reasons, and they could have one of the mafia reveal they know one of the town, but not others.

If a mafia claims cop or doctor role, the real cop or doctor can choose to role reveal, and then we know to kill one of the two then the other if needed.

If a mafia claims to be the Know, we all were told the real Know can't reveal it, but the real Know also surely got a private message from Tric about it, with contents that the rest of us may not fully know.  That one dog knows what they cannot say, exactly, and the mafia can only guess, and the rest of us can only guess.  But the mafia could attempt to use individual town decisions to influence, and their 'fake know' could actually be doing stuff that only Tric and the real Know can recognize as not even following the rules that the real Know has to follow.  Thus the fake mafia know might even claim a bit more boldly than the real Know can, because the real Know has rules that forbid exactly what the fake know is doing, since the fake know only knows what we were publicly told.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 29, 2023, 09:33:43 am »

God, what an incredibly stupid argument.

I'm really just going to respond to two points right now.

1) Yes, I've always, since the beginning of my play here, refused to answer questions based on my own personal whims. I even got lynched for it a couple times! But eventually everyone was forced to accept it and, indeed, people have come to regard me as a strong player... and over time, the obsession with asking questions has faded away as players came to realize that it doesn't really work. You have to accept that the world has moved on from that playstyle, and rightly so.

2) I said I didn't feel like talking much at one time, and then, at a later time, was more in the mood to talk and explain. Once I have declared one mental state, am I obligated to stay in it forever? Time passed, things change.

Incessant harping on weird made-up "scumtells" without any regard to the player's normal behavior or actual motives is something I consider a major scumtell for competent players. Especially when it also involves treating jokes as "slips". It puts me in the mind of, say, notquitethere in webadict's Supernatural, trying hard to find a reason to get one particular other player out. So I guess my vote has found its home for the day.

Beautiful.

So, experienced townie.  Explain to us how with your posts you are and have been scumhunting and progressing town goals, instead of wasting time.  You know, doing town's job.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 29, 2023, 10:05:52 am »

The one in the Know cannot reveal they are in the Know. As stated in edited OP.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 29, 2023, 10:07:21 am »

Going to say, flying all over my head due to self dumassery but
Really stupid question: what's stopping the Mafia from denying it as well for the dog in the know? Or at least any way for mafia to somehow subvert this?
Denying it means you say you aren't the dog in the know. The mafia can do this, but... then the only one who wouldn't deny it would be the actual dog in the know, so we have at least two confirmed town (the dog, and the one the dog says is town). Confirmed town can be incredibly strong. Of course, there's a small chance that the mafia could fakeclaim it and then the real dog in the know doesn't say anything... but since the real dog is town, this would just be moronic. It's willfully kneecapping your own team.

Cop reveal d1 dumb I consider since that paints a target on the cop back, and dogtor have to choose between either protect themselves or protect the cop because if cop role claims, then mafia would kill someone else if they think the dogtor will protect the cop.
Ehhhh, in this particular game, there's only exactly one player, the henchman, who the cop can actually catch. This means that the value of the cop is actually limited. If I were mafia, and a cop claimed d1, I'd be more interested in thinking about who that player will actually investigate before deciding whether he's worth killing right away.
Also, kind of important, it's not vanilla for doctors to be able to protect themselves. I don't know what tric did in this particular game, but I wouldn't bet on that being an option.

Mostly because of the meta around role reveals.  It's very useful for the mafia to know specifics about town, but that doesn't necessarily confirm who they are striking that night.  That predictive dance is complex and can have other factors.

Like, if cop does decide to reveal then does mafia night target the cop, or presume that doctor protects the cop, so the mafia has 4 unprotected targets to kill if they are right about the presumption?

The same thing can happen with our Know.
First of all, it won't because being the Dog in the Know isn't a priority target for the mafia in any way. From the mafia's position, the Dog in the Know is barely different from any other townie.

But more importantly, if it did happen, it wouldn't matter! The mafia never actually know who the doctor will target, there's always WIFOM in every kill when there's known to be a doctor. To take the cop example, very often doctors don't protect the claimed cop because they expect that mafia will assume a claimed cop is protected and kill someone else... and usually, the mafia do assume that, so it's the right move. Ultimately, the game is no different either way.

To put it simply, your argument is incredibly superficial. You're just like... "the mafia always wants to know special roles, this is a special role, therefore the mafia want to know it!" but that's completely ignoring the actual dynamics of the situation, what the role does and why anyone would care. It's applying a general rule that doesn't really exist.

The mafia can also attempt to appear to be the Know, since they also know for their own reasons, and they could have one of the mafia reveal they know one of the town, but not others.

If a mafia claims cop or doctor role, the real cop or doctor can choose to role reveal, and then we know to kill one of the two then the other if needed.

If a mafia claims to be the Know, we all were told the real Know can't reveal it, but the real Know also surely got a private message from Tric about it, with contents that the rest of us may not fully know.  That one dog knows what they cannot say, exactly, and the mafia can only guess, and the rest of us can only guess.  But the mafia could attempt to use individual town decisions to influence, and their 'fake know' could actually be doing stuff that only Tric and the real Know can recognize as not even following the rules that the real Know has to follow.  Thus the fake mafia know might even claim a bit more boldly than the real Know can, because the real Know has rules that forbid exactly what the fake know is doing, since the fake know only knows what we were publicly told.
I am honestly fairly confident that the real Dog in the Know didn't receive any more information about what that means than Tric told us in the thread, because A) this is supposed to be an open setup anyway, and B) you just don't know Tric like I do. The Dog in the Know was a mistake to begin with, so it's crazy to assume there are special rules. However, regardless, what the real Dog in the Know can and cannot do is irrelevant if the rest of town agrees to use their own freedom of action to narrow it down. I guarantee you that Tric is not obligating the real Dog in the Know to say something specific in order to deny being so, just not affirm being so.

And yes obviously the mafia can fakeclaim it, but that's actually still town-beneficial because, if there are two or three possibilities, we now know mafia is among them - unless town are being truculent, *cough*. Mafia have to choose between allowing us to have confirmed town, or narrowing themselves down to a much smaller group. There's a particular move here that I think is probably the mafia-optimal choice, but I don't want to explain it because I suspect the mafia don't actually know it. Suffice to say that if there are two or three people not claiming not being the Dog in the Know, then we definitely lynch among them. Since the real Dog in the Know would certainly, I hope, be smart enough to signal who the knowledge-target is, then even if we are completely wrong and lynch the real one, mafia are still constrained to choose between trying to kill the target or letting us have one confirmed town next day.

Of course, that would become useless if some particularly dumb town members refuse to deny being the Dog in the Know based on faulty theories, allowing the mafia to skate by by denying it while making it look like some of them are mafia. I'd really hope that nobody is foolish enough to do that.

And of course, if any player who isn't the Dog in the Know clearly appears to be implying that he is, let's call that player "Cryre", I would hope that the real one would contradict this, and that no other town player who doesn't actually know would do so, since otherwise I am going to assume that extremely hypothetical player who doesn't exist is telling the truth, for now.

So, experienced townie.  Explain to us how with your posts you are and have been scumhunting and progressing town goals, instead of wasting time.  You know, doing town's job.
I am not obligated to explain anything to you. In the event that you're actually town, your fixation is completely nonproductive.

Last edit before posting: Tric basically just confirmed what I thought, that there isn't anything more complicated to it than what we were told. Why would anyone just assume there would be?

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 29, 2023, 11:36:49 am »

Given how discussion has started centering around, do you think I should just reroll everything and restart the game? Thought it would work out, but apparently not. Mafia motivation is low. Granted, given a1s hasn't even posted..
« Last Edit: October 29, 2023, 11:39:49 am by TricMagic »

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 29, 2023, 11:42:22 am »

Interesting.

As I see it ... and let's presume that a1s continues to be silent.  They're online as of a few minutes ago, and still not participating here that I can see.  So my scenarios all assume a1s remains silent until that one does speak.

We have a fairly open claim, supported strongly (to my standards) that Cry may have already implied they are the Know, and that they know a1s.  So my scenarios are going to presume that this is one of the 'know' claims.

In short, I see a lot of ways this can help scum and no clear way this is likely to help town.  While town could make it work if things go 'perfectly' for town, it's risky as heck and appears to me to help scum a lot.

Even if a1s gets active, which complicates the threads even more, but as I trace them, this reveal would still help scum in most possible ways this can work out.

That said, Max is strongly supporting the reveal, and Crys has essentially set up as the (or a) revealer.

Max and sof have said 'not Know'.  I have said, "bad idea to get involved in this, town" and tried to explain why twice now.

What does everyone else think?

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 29, 2023, 11:43:25 am »

Given how discussion has started centering around, do you think I should just reroll everything and restart the game? Thought it would work out, but apparently not. Mafia motivation is low. Granted, given a1s hasn't even posted..

This looks playable to me.  I will play this game or the reroll, it's your call in my eyes.  My motivation for mafia's pretty high.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 29, 2023, 11:47:20 am »

Or I could modkill Crys for letting it be so blatant. Cause that's multiple people who have fingered them.
Probably should have rerolled in the first place.

Note of Game Restart. Please post IN in discord to make sure everyone is actually in there too?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2023, 11:49:51 am by TricMagic »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 29, 2023, 11:55:21 am »

Or I could modkill Crys for letting it be so blatant. Cause that's multiple people who have fingered them.
Probably should have rerolled in the first place.

Note of Game Restart. Please post IN in discord to make sure everyone is actually in there too?
Link is https://discord.gg/fapFXJ6QQ
Sighs in twitchy fingers. Sorry for the double post.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 29, 2023, 11:59:17 am »

To be fair, my second pick for know/implication of know was sofanthiel, who was buddying me from early on and said several 'suggestive of know' things, including:

This, though backed up by supposition about when I joined the discord, "I'm still inclined to believe that you're town"  "I reckon our frequencies are aligned and wavelengths harmonized (though I hope someone particular is also witnessing these sick lines!)" and "Ohhh, I see now; I assumed you tried to imply that you were actually the Dog in the Know by formatting "not" like that." which could look like a dog in the Know freaking out about a second Know claim.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 29, 2023, 12:02:52 pm »

All told though, all my concerns about Cry that didn't involve Max I had for sof, just to a weaker extent (sof looked more subtle about dog in the Know, and more believably Know to me, in subtle ways) and using the discord join time as an excuse to help hide their knowing (smart if so, though clearly not).  If Sof's scum, so scary that scum :D

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 29, 2023, 12:04:00 pm »

Honestly not sure I should reveal roles or not. You're free to if you wish while I wait for Ins.

Max gets more time to work on their game.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 29, 2023, 12:10:50 pm »

well I was scum for the third time out of three games played lol

Competing with Fallacy for title of eternal scum

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 29, 2023, 12:11:32 pm »

In for the new game and thanks for the restart.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 29, 2023, 12:20:33 pm »

well I was scum for the third time out of three games played lol

Competing with Fallacy for title of eternal scum
Great, I was right.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 23