Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 23

Author Topic: Catfia: Dogs vs Cats Untitled Cat Game (Mafia Victory)  (Read 14577 times)

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Catfia: Dogs vs Cats Day 1 (7/7)
« Reply #75 on: October 28, 2023, 07:36:15 pm »

Alright.  My observations at this point:

a1s:  I am deeply disappointed with.  They've been online more than once today, and posted in another thread today:

I will kick off the bidding at 1 prestige.

But they aren't here at all and it's been more than 24 hours since the game started.  I almost started to ask if they could be prodded, but they had to have gotten their role PM less than 24 hours ago.  Despite that, @TricMagic, is it reasonable to ask you to please double-check and make sure the role was sent to them correctly, and they're not just innocently ignorant of the game?  I don't expect you to confirm or anything with us, but your own check would be awesome if you choose to check.  If some accident happened to mean they didn't get notified, I'd want to stop feeling so disappointed at them.

Maximum Spin I've already voted red for.  If there's anything not scummy about this player's play, I missed it.  I've already discussed some concerns, I have more than I've discussed.  Dude, if you are town, you're hurting town, maybe get some sleep, think about it, and come back and play for town to have a chance to win, presuming you're on town's side.  Otherwise, you're playing great, keep it up, you're currently my lynch choice, no longer a probe, though I'm still listening just in case.

Crystalizedmire  So, trying to get town power roles to reveal is a typical scum tell.  Discussed in many places, one the OP "Spoiler: A List of Common Scumtells" in this thread:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=130600.0, "Rolefishing: Trying to find powerroles (cop and doc in vanilla Mafia), often via questioning."  Also moving to defend Maximum Spin, and also a1s.  While clearly there can't be 3 scum in this game, presuming Cry and Max are scum, a1s is currently the townie least dangerous to scum, since a1s hasn't even spoken yet.

Additionally, Cry suggested that the cop should inspect Max.  If Max is godfather on a Cry/Max scum team, this is the most useful for scum possible inspection to have happen, as it may cause town to believe that the godfather is town for sure.  Now, this presumes that Cry/Max is the scum team; Cry may be a townie and a new mafia player entirely, with just 2 finished Bay 12 forums Mafia games ever, and possibly genuinely didn't know or research any assumption they may have had about how cops and godfather roles work.  Failing that... a Cry/Max team could have Max, supposedly a very strong player, advising and guiding Cry.  I can't be sure of this, but what I see looks consistent so far that this is possible and may actually be likely.

Therefore, if nothing changes and we do lynch Max today, and Max is indeed proven to be godfather mafia, whomever our cop is should surely inspect Cry, based on these connections.  I give this advice now because if that flip happens, it's already night and I can't say so then.  I'll also mention, I'd give this advice now anyway, even if I were the cop myself.

I'm so suspicious of these players, they're throwing so much 'feels like scum, reads like scum' to me that my reads on the rest of you barely matter to me, since I know we're only looking for two scum.

I will mention my initial concern was a Max/TCk team, because of Max's initial suggestion to lynch either TCk or myself based on images.  However, I don't see a Max/TCk connection based on discussion since.  And suggesting two townies as lynch choices, instead of a townie/partner, is arguably an even more normal scum behavior than my initial concern about long-range bias shaping.

But, briefly, I'll mention that TCk, sof, and Qua read as reasonably town to me, and compared to how shockingly scummy these two are, I'm fairly done with collecting evidence at this level.

My advice to Max and Cry:

If you're town, play it, show it, be it.  Play to help your team win, even if you die today.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Crystalizedmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 28, 2023, 08:12:33 pm »

Crystalizedmire  So, trying to get town power roles to reveal is a typical scum tell.  Discussed in many places, one the OP "Spoiler: A List of Common Scumtells" in this thread:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=130600.0, "Rolefishing: Trying to find powerroles (cop and doc in vanilla Mafia), often via questioning."  Also moving to defend Maximum Spin, and also a1s.  While clearly there can't be 3 scum in this game, presuming Cry and Max are scum, a1s is currently the townie least dangerous to scum, since a1s hasn't even spoken yet.

Additionally, Cry suggested that the cop should inspect Max.  If Max is godfather on a Cry/Max scum team, this is the most useful for scum possible inspection to have happen, as it may cause town to believe that the godfather is town for sure.  Now, this presumes that Cry/Max is the scum team; Cry may be a townie and a new mafia player entirely, with just 2 finished Bay 12 forums Mafia games ever, and possibly genuinely didn't know or research any assumption they may have had about how cops and godfather roles work.  Failing that... a Cry/Max team could have Max, supposedly a very strong player, advising and guiding Cry.  I can't be sure of this, but what I see looks consistent so far that this is possible and may actually be likely.
First of all: I was aware of what a godfather is. I only remembered one of the variants where the godfather performs the mafia kill and forgot about the fact that godfathers read as innocent to cops.
Secondly: I didn't suggest that cop should investigate Maximum. I said that if I was cop I would investigate him because he is the hardest to read according to experienced players.
Thirdly: I wasn't trying to defend Maximum Spin, I was just sure that a1s is town. I actually think Maximum's one of the scummier players(now that he's actually posting) and that both their playstyles hurt the town more than the scum.
Imp, I find it somewhat suspicious that you would misinterpret my response to your own question.
she/her

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 28, 2023, 08:15:02 pm »

Yeah, okay, just gonna Imp on the grounds that the only good reason to willfully ignore my argument and shade people for NOT PLAYING RIGHT is being scum. TBH, this was already what I was thinking anyway, and if you're not even going to answer my explanation, just huff about it, it's obvious.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 28, 2023, 08:17:30 pm »

By the way,
3. Only consider my evaluations once I'm dead or when I'm really certain that one player is not scum
I was just sure that a1s is town.
Unless you deny it, I'm going to take this accordingly.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 28, 2023, 08:36:49 pm »

My response to this is to look to the rest of the team.  I'm still not happy with the 'town play' of either of these two I am concerned about.

But I'm still listening to everything anyone says, and I'm absolutely interested in participating and assisting the rest of you, be that answering questions, considering ideas, or anything else.  This game's far from done, and I hope we all keep talking as we have anything to say.

sofanthiel

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Cod
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 28, 2023, 10:42:31 pm »

I love how much you're talking, Max the said was sleepy and don't wanna talk one!

I'll think over what you said soon.

However, you really do appear willing and able to talk when it pleases you.

How about you go back through the thread, and answer the questions that have already been asked of you that you have not so far answered?

As much as I still don't consider you scum, completely ignoring Spin's reasoning and accusing him for actively participating in the game we're playing is the least town thing EVER!

Crystalizedmire  So, trying to get town power roles to reveal is a typical scum tell.  Discussed in many places, one the OP "Spoiler: A List of Common Scumtells" in this thread:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=130600.0, "Rolefishing: Trying to find powerroles (cop and doc in vanilla Mafia), often via questioning."  Also moving to defend Maximum Spin, and also a1s.

Claiming special roles is a legitimate strategy in some cases--maybe even in this one, according to Max (I'm still crunching numbers in my head on that).  Additionally, Crystal defended neither Max nor a1s, besides that statement about lurking not necessarily equaling mafia behavior.  That was, at least in my eyes, obviously playing devil's advocate by bringing up past experiences, a very common trait among newer players.  What's most concerning is that, while we're here waging canine warfare, TCk only posted 4 times and Quarque thrice; both of those numbers are, of course, infinitely better than 0.  I am of the opinion that we should lynch a1s, which bears no explanation, though I am less sure of my initial judgement with every post I read.
I forgot my love of rolling down the hill on the lawn.
I never noticed it until it was gone.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 28, 2023, 11:26:12 pm »

I am of the opinion that we should lynch a1s, which bears no explanation, though I am less sure of my initial judgement with every post I read.
I'm not voting a1s until Cryre responds to what I said, or someone else states that it's wrong.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 29, 2023, 12:51:54 am »

As much as I still don't consider you scum, completely ignoring Spin's reasoning and accusing him for actively participating in the game we're playing is the least town thing EVER!

Understood.  I do tend to lose patience with people who I believe to be either:

1) Playing incredibly poorly for their team consistently and despite multiple chances and requests to improve (this is Max if Max is town)
2) Obviously not town.

See, to my observations, Max is so extremely scum-revealed, it's really worrisome to me if they're actually town.  A newbie I'd challenge differently, but Max has possibly participated in more than 50 games in this forum, and appears to be commonly considered a strong player.

The goals of a town player should be a town win.  And Max is simply not showing this, not moving towards this, in any post made yet since this game started.

Max post 1: Here, Max proposes we lynch 2 folks based on their image selection, which I already explained I found concerning because of connection/bias risks.  Otherwise, it's decent opening for either town or mafia, but the rest of what's said doesn't really move towards a town win.  And it's scum that wanna waste time, time favors scum in these games (as days pass, not within the same day).

Max post 2: Max goes for the dog in the know, starting the framework to try and get that player to 'reveal by having everyone else confirm they're not'.  I've already discussed why I feel this helps scum, not town, especially on day 1.  Max's later posts go intensely into complex and almost distracting-level explanation of why this supposedly would benefit Town, and frankly, the arguments don't address my concerns or clearly state the benefit, to me it looks like 'technobabble' of a sort.  Scumplay.

It seems really important to Max that the Dog in the Know be revealed.  Perhaps because Max at this time has no better strategy, or because Max actually agrees with me that the scum want to know, (cause he's scum and wants to know) and is trying to help as many town participate because it sounds like something town would want to do (no, town, this is a poor idea to cooperate with - or please explain why you think it's a good idea for town for that to happen, on Day 1.)  However, to all my evaluation and understanding, this doesn't help town, but does help Max if he's scum.  It's decent scumplay, except that it only barely looks like townplay and doesn't provide much cover.  Unfortunately for Max, scumplay that doesn't look like townplay looks like scumplay.

Max post 3: Here Max makes the claim that he's sleepy and doesn't want to talk much (maybe he just talks a lot later even though he doesn't want to?  But he totally doesn't follow up on.)  He also suggests we lynch our completely silent person.  Which isn't a bad move, it's an obvious call, especially if the town doesn't have anyone actually scummy to lynch, as 'complete silence' can be scummy or not.  Except really, consistently, Max is scummy, and 'lynch this other target' is decent scum play.  Note how much Max talks though later, about what Max cares about, getting the Dog in the Know to reveal.  Max puts several hundred words into this across a few posts.  And again, I evaluate knowing who the Dog in the Know is to be of value and interest to the Mafia, not of deep use to the town on Day 1 (not worth the risk to that dog, for sure!)

Max's post 4: Asked who Max thinks is most likely to be town, besides themselves, names someone not even a player.  Totally useless for any use other than distraction.  Also means Max doesn't have to think or explain his thinking - which if he's scum, it's harder to do - as Scum, Max knows who the town are, so having a 'towniest pick' is harder to think about, and harder to care about.  His 'towniest pick' might reveal his scum thinking and observations, so as scum, naming Tric is a protective joke - if we let him get away with it.

Max's post 5: Here Max sort of supports Cry's weird logic about endless loops.  His claim doesn't move towards a town win, and weirdly both Cry and Max seems to think that if town nolynchs day 1, then town is 'trapped' into nolynching day 2, and they both suggest this could lead to an endless cycle... really weird thinking.  Why would town, who have one power, the vote, endlessly no-lynch?  Why would we even expect that to happen?  That's not town thinking.  It could be confused newbie thinking.  Max supposedly isn't a newbie.  However, for scum, anything that doesn't help town move effectively towards a town win is useful.  I continue to see a pattern of 'not useful for town' actions and choices from Max, and that alone looks scummy (but it's not alone, there's also the various pro-scum actions)

Max's post 6:  Here Max starts to explain why town should give up the dog that knows, and why the dog that knows should also permit this.  I explain why I think this is a town-terrible idea here.  I'm still interested if anyone besides Max is willing to discuss if they see any problems with my logic.  Max, as scum, has problems with me pointing to the hole in his donut, which is also a rather scummy thing to do.

Max's post 7: Here, Max declares 'Everything about your reasoning is fundamentally screwed up' to me.  Pretty lazy thinking, again as a scum it's harder to do the mental work to explain as town and ignorant might.  Also, he doesn't need to debate, reason... he has one goal as scum, just keep enough town confused to make his scum job easier.  He goes into a defense/attack against my reasoning that really talks around my concerns, and continues to protect scum interest in that kinda confusing way.

Max's post 8: So here, Max declares he only answers questions if he feels like it.  How does this help town, ever?  Sure helps scum though.  And he calls it 'one of his rules'.  Been one of his rules for long, this Max who's participated in what seems to be more than 50 games on this forum?  Who cares, really.  It's not the first false claim made this game, and it does not help town, as nothing this player has said yet has worked towards trying to help town.

Max's post 9: Here, Max simply insults more directly those whose questions he hasn't answered, and again fails to help town in any way.

Max's post 10:  Sometimes called OMGUS, or oh my god, you suck, in response to post explaining my increased suspicion of Max, and identification of who I think Max's partner appears to be, he votes his accuser with reasonings mostly around 'you suck and you are accusing me'.  His reasoning?  That I'm ignoring his argument (wait, isn't he's the one who said he only answers questions that he chooses to?) and shading people for not playing right - well, consistent poor play, especially from non-newbies is exceedingly scummy.

A reasonable town behavior is to explain oneself, or just keep hunting for scum.  Not to OMGUS, which doesn't actually help anyone, but a trapped/revealed scum might not be able to think of anything better to do, I guess.  OMGUS is definitely a well-recognized scumtell.

Max's post 11: focuses on things Cry recently said, which might help obscure the possible, and perhaps likely, connection between Cry and Max as scum partners.

Max's Post 12:  This one I don't have a firm stance on.  It doesn't clearly support town to me, and I am still open to Max being town and making choices that don't support town over and over and over again, though I'd need help to see and understand this.

Scum thrive on confusion and distraction.  Town don't.  I'm not super motivated to chase Max's claims and confusions past where I already did.

completely ignoring Spin's reasoning and accusing him for actively participating in the game

There comes a time when I stop debating with super scummy players, and you might have that point too.

I can't know if you're there or not without you talking about where your thinking is.  I was done talking to Max - he's looking, sounding, and acting so obviously scum, I don't see what's left for me to say to him.

Cry's looking seriously scummy to me too, though less completely, but so much so that I decided to stop probing and turn to you all with my concerns.  I see this stuff clearly - I have no idea what you do or don't see.

Why I am on Max about his participating, he is the one who claimed, in his post 3: that he's sleepy and doesn't want to talk.  Yet he stays and talks, for hours, and talks a lot about stuff of interest, frankly, to scum, and without trying to help town.  Not doing what you say is scummy.  He doesn't want to talk about the stuff that would help town/hurt him-as-scum.  That's what I'm calling him out on - it's actually also another basic scumtell:  "FTD - Failure to Deliver, also known as Toaster's #1 Scumtell. The act of promising to post more information at a later time, and then failing to do so. A very difficult action to justify as town, because it means you are either lazy or lying, it is therefore seen as a pretty solid scumtell."  From Spoiler: CEAs (Commonly Encountered Abbreviations) and Other Terminology Commonly Found in Bay12 Mafia  Though in this case, the failure to deliver is making the claim he doesn't want to talk now, and then talking up a storm - about stuff not helpful to town.

Now, where do my observations appear incorrect?  Can you guide me to see how he looks less scummy to you, than apparently my most scummy ever statement did?

I stopped being 'uninformed' the moment people started posting.  I'm not 'informed minority'.  I'm town, but I'm me, with all that means and the information's flowing with every post every one of us makes, and once we post, what we didn't say is also a screamingly loud statement of information about our intentions, goals, and comprehension.  That I am me and what I am, how I think, might make me hard to understand - but I am willing to discuss with you and those acting pro-town for days, as well as listen to you and attempt to see as you see to the best I can.

I did that with Max, trying to see from his stated viewpoint, until I felt like I could see nothing but scum - and with that viewpoint as I try to feel and understand him, hey, I'm done with Max.  But I do get that you're not there in your thinking, so please, let's discuss.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 29, 2023, 01:06:15 am »

Additionally, Crystal defended neither Max nor a1s, besides that statement about lurking not necessarily equaling mafia behavior.

To my observations, Crystal defended both Max and a1s twice:

Maximum and a1sdog3god's behaviour doesn't seem suspicious to me

Maximum Spin seems to be Maximum Spin but less talkative and he has a mafia game to set up so I think it is reasonable that he's mostly joking

Do you see this as something other than defense, sof?

The Canadian kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cat in the Hat demands I hand over my kneecaps
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 29, 2023, 01:12:06 am »

Pfp and going to be basically pfp for the weekend
Also sorry for lurking a bit, got caught up in stuff and all I could really do is follow this conversation

Going to say, flying all over my head due to self dumassery but
Really stupid question: what's stopping the Mafia from denying it as well for the dog in the know? Or at least any way for mafia to somehow subvert this?
May forget some things but my thoughts
Cop reveal d1 dumb I consider since that paints a target on the cop back, and dogtor have to choose between either protect themselves or protect the cop because if cop role claims, then mafia would kill someone else if they think the dogtor will protect the cop.

lost a bunch of other thoughts

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 29, 2023, 02:25:36 am »

What's most concerning is that, while we're here waging canine warfare, TCk only posted 4 times and Quarque thrice; both of those numbers are, of course, infinitely better than 0.  I am of the opinion that we should lynch a1s, which bears no explanation, though I am less sure of my initial judgement with every post I read.

To this thinking, I absolutely agree, while having sympathy and understanding for the human side of each player.

Yes, we need every player to participate, that's a desperate need.  Inactive players hurt their teams terribly, no matter what team the player's on.

In fact, wow, it's hard to look more scummy than a completely inactive player, to participate in ways that actually look more harmful to town than complete silence.  But Max is currently there, to my evaluation.  If we don't have a 'more scummy than inactive' player, and especially if every active player looks town, that's a great reason to vote out the inactive.  However, I'm sure we'll all stay open-minded and evaluate as the days pass.  We have more than 90 hours, well more than 3 days real-time, before the day ends.

However, if we have someone we agree is behaving really scummy, even though they're active, and there's an inactive person, it is terribly risky for town to vote out the inactive.  This leaves the detected scummy one in play, and we don't have a blocker role like a jailer that could sit on the suspected person and make them safe for the rest of us while we remove the possible other scum and or at least 'properly punish' the person not even bothering to be here even if they're town.

We're not there yet, we have so much time before day ends and no chance of a hammer, and a player request to not rush the game.  So, by all means, take all the time to be sure that works for you - and I say that to everyone.  But please don't stand on principal and lynch inactives over strong scum, if you come to believe someone is strongly scum-seeming.

That risks leaving 2 scum, with our inactive town lost, then at best 4 town against 2 scum... and at worst they get a kill that night, so it's just 3 town and 2 scum.  We didn't have to have that happen, if there's a very scummy active player it's actually better odds for town to take out the scummiest.  If we're right about scum - then there's 1 scum against whoever is left of town, if they get a night kill or not.  It gives so much more chances to find the remaining scum for town.

And frankly, if it comes down to punishment.  if someone plays so not-town-like that they hurt the town in activity more than a completely inactive person, and the town has to suffer from perhaps wrongly voting the inactive or wrongly voting the really scummy one?  Let's take out the scummy one, seriously.  Let the community teach and handle its own.  It shouldn't be hard to look more town than a completely inactive person, really.

I encouraged Max to rest and talk when they felt like it.  I encourage everyone, take care of yourself, be here when you can.  Maybe someone works weekends, or at other times.  Do what you have to.

That said, yes.  We desperately need everyone here often.  Do what you can, please.  We have no game without us all, and it's a better game with us.  And... your lack of vote might be what kills your own team, as they struggle desperately, having worked so hard and just needing you to help, but you're not there.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 29, 2023, 02:52:40 am »

That's a lot of posts I want to have a better look at. Couple of quick points though:

- Maximum Spin always comes across as scum, it's part of their meta. I learned to look for specific telltale signs that may or may not work and will make up my mind later this day.
- a1s hardly posts during weekends, I wouldn't read too much into it.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 29, 2023, 04:12:20 am »

I love how a GM error started a meta discussion that made my head spin.

And day 1 is the least useful and interesting day for that person to be revealed; to me that's only town-useful in case we wanna have the doctor considering if they wanna protect that knowing role, and that's seriously marginalized in every case I can think of playing out.

[snip]

Folks, is there error you see in my reasoning?

Ok so this part of your reasoning I couldn't follow. Why is it not more than marginally useful for the doctor to know what dog they should protect?

Crystalizedmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 29, 2023, 07:12:49 am »

By the way,
3. Only consider my evaluations once I'm dead or when I'm really certain that one player is not scum
Unless you deny it, I'm going to take this accordingly.
Yes, I'm sure that a1s is not scum
she/her

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 29, 2023, 09:30:48 am »

God, what an incredibly stupid argument.

I'm really just going to respond to two points right now.

1) Yes, I've always, since the beginning of my play here, refused to answer questions based on my own personal whims. I even got lynched for it a couple times! But eventually everyone was forced to accept it and, indeed, people have come to regard me as a strong player... and over time, the obsession with asking questions has faded away as players came to realize that it doesn't really work. You have to accept that the world has moved on from that playstyle, and rightly so.

2) I said I didn't feel like talking much at one time, and then, at a later time, was more in the mood to talk and explain. Once I have declared one mental state, am I obligated to stay in it forever? Time passed, things change.

Incessant harping on weird made-up "scumtells" without any regard to the player's normal behavior or actual motives is something I consider a major scumtell for competent players. Especially when it also involves treating jokes as "slips". It puts me in the mind of, say, notquitethere in webadict's Supernatural, trying hard to find a reason to get one particular other player out. So I guess my vote has found its home for the day.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 23