Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 31

Author Topic: Greatest War Southern Star Thread - Spring 1912 (Prelim 2 Revision)  (Read 13192 times)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: Greatest War Southern Star Thread - Spring 1912 (Prelim 1 Design)
« Reply #180 on: October 14, 2023, 08:03:06 pm »

I'd rather not force us to try and balance some voting dice system that everyone is unhappy with because neither side can agree on a compromise. Its a horrible thing that makes MoP mad but I'd rather just switch teams and end any and all future arguments here since there is clearly no compromise and I doubt MoP is gonna give us another week to sort it out.
Yeah, but Paperman literally isn't allowing any team changes.

So.

Either we figure out a compromise or we just don't get to play, basically.

In order of desirability, from most to least:

A: Figure out a unified design philosophy that satisfies all of us. (Best possible outcome!)
B: Put up with modifying the voting system to accommodate our perpetual disagreement. (Acceptable outcome.)
C: Forge a diplomatic agreement to trade votes, effectively alternating between phases in which we design/revise historical realistic stuff and phases in which we design/revise unrealistic surreal stuff. (Acceptable outcome.)
D: Some number of us quit the game. (Worst possible outcome.)

I'd prefer A, but since no unified design philosophy is forthcoming, I think B is the best option.

Because at least we get to play the game and have a chance to push our philosophy through.
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 14, 2023, 08:39:07 pm »

C just doesn't work. It's even worse than random since half the time half the team is salt incarnate. And you'd have to give them control of this phase. Which only works until someone does D and quits. A complete split is a negative, given I rely on others to sanitycheck my stuff.

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 14, 2023, 08:53:11 pm »

A seems unlikely.
B is ew.
C would devolve into just as much salt as we're already in.
D well.... I'd prefer team switching but to be honest if we can't get in a unified philosophy I'd rather just leave rather than argue all the time and allow MoP to continue the game and the rest of you guys move on and continue playing. We're going to keep arguing over this in every turn and I'd rather not just outright kill MoP's desire to run this game.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2023, 08:56:03 pm by Maxim_inc »

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 14, 2023, 09:35:32 pm »

What's so ew about B, anyways? It's not ideal, but it's a good compromise.
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Thanatos Russ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 14, 2023, 10:44:56 pm »

I mean, I can just go "i disagree but still wanna play so whatever, silly voting it is".

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 14, 2023, 11:07:25 pm »

I mean, I can just go "i disagree but still wanna play so whatever, silly voting it is".

I just really at this point am not looking forward to the possibility of arguing over everything and leaving it in the hands of a coinflip on what we choose.

Thanatos Russ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 15, 2023, 05:13:19 am »

We could have 5 parts that everyone picks their desired aspect to then mash together

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 15, 2023, 07:10:59 am »

Honestly Thermobaric weaponry does that. Exploive power of gunpowder, compressed gas storage, and rocket speed, short of? Even if it's crazy.

BBBence1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 15, 2023, 08:34:48 am »

Well, this is a fun thread. I have ideas that will satisfy the "we want crazy", satisfy the "we want somewhat practical", and as a bonus make MoP mad

But that's for the future.

For now, could someone who does voteboxes add me to the actually cool weapon? That being Maxim's rifle.

Edit: Where did I get revolver? Is it a revolver? I don't trust my reading comprehension now.

Also I see argument of "might possibly lead to mechs" for the other as a huge negative. Let's go with something better than the standard scifi fare of bad warmachines, shall we?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2023, 08:46:36 am by BBBence1111 »
Proud Juraki/Cannalan/Kasgyr/Ertexite/Karikhitan/Nogranian/Aratam Engineer.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 15, 2023, 08:41:10 am »

Just need to quote t with that button in the top left, then add your vote. Trim the header, and it's done.

BBBence1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 15, 2023, 08:48:04 am »

Very helpful of you
Quote from: Votebox
5 - Świnka-Kröte M12 Rifle - Maxim, UristMcRiley, C2M, Thanatos, BBB
0 - Gryf's Szybki Rifle -
0 - 'Killer Queen' Standard Steam Rifle -
0 - Míngxīng Shèshǒu Rifle -
4 - Wiatrówki Wer. 1 "Windgun Ver. 1" - TricMagic, TCK, Kashyyk, Fallacy
1 - Mle 1912 "Volcan" Rocket Gun - m1895
0 - Coiling Bow "Kynigós" -

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 15, 2023, 09:29:33 am »

Avast, the Silly may have been defeated. Where is the brave m in our time of deadlock. (jokes :P)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 15, 2023, 09:42:36 am »

Really doesn't help when you call them silly. I don't think Air Guns are silly. I think they're Cool. It's the kind of thing you'd see in an alternative steam/clock punk world. A hand held slingshot that launches balls of dry ice that cause lethal freeze burns is silly. Also Cool, in both definitions, but too silly for this setting.

I don't want a gun that would be perfectly at home in Real Life WW1. That is Boring and unCool to me. We already disappointed Draig when we had the option to do Cool and Interesting stuff. Please don't do that again here.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 15, 2023, 09:57:11 am »

Edit: Where did I get revolver? Is it a revolver? I don't trust my reading comprehension now.

Also I see argument of "might possibly lead to mechs" for the other as a huge negative. Let's go with something better than the standard scifi fare of bad warmachines, shall we?
I'm fairly sure there will be mechs regardless. If not on our side, then theirs.

The M12 Rifle is an M12 Rifle. There will probably be an M16.

The Szybki Rifle happens to be the repeater.

Windgun is an actual thing that has been deried as a copy of something in RL. And Windguns failing in real history compared to dice alt history this game is.

BBBence1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 15, 2023, 10:40:18 am »

I'm fairly sure there will be mechs regardless. If not on our side, then theirs.

The M12 Rifle is an M12 Rifle. There will probably be an M16.

The Szybki Rifle happens to be the repeater.

Windgun is an actual thing that has been deried as a copy of something in RL. And Windguns failing in real history compared to dice alt history this game is.

If they have mechs, good. I will take great pleasure in dismantling them.

>Szybki

That's where I got it from!
Well. That'd be much more fun but people aren't voting for it, so I will go for the next best.

As general advice, everyone, it can seem like that if your design doesn't win it's the end of the world, but it isn't. If we went with the silly start, we could easily have gone with a more serious followup, and the now winning more realistic approach can be an effective base that we can fall back on while experimenting with more out there ideas. Personally I prefer that approach, and I think it will lead to much better results later on.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 31