Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 31

Author Topic: Greatest War Southern Star Thread - Spring 1912 (Prelim 2 Revision)  (Read 13174 times)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Greatest War Southern Star Thread - Spring 1912 (Prelim 1 Design)
« Reply #120 on: October 13, 2023, 06:52:28 pm »

It's a good ruler to measure against. Coil bow is fantasy. Everything else that's been posted actually existed at this point or is near timeline.

... Well, besides the rocket gun, not sure if that did. Closest I can think of is a mass rocket arrow device. (A Hwacha)

Hey, technology we create here isn't obligated to be ineffective just because it was ineffective in reality.
thumbs up.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 13, 2023, 07:04:27 pm »

@Paperman Do you have a planned end time for the first Design phase, or are you just waiting until both sides have a consensus?

Waiting for a general consensus, which currently means this team. There's clearly plenty of active discussion right now, so I don't plan to cuck everyone yet. I'd say there's another day or two before I get antsy though.

UristMcRiley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 13, 2023, 07:14:42 pm »

Suggestion, as a compromise between a traditional firearm and something more out there could we all settle on a wacky fire arm for our starting weapon. A revolving rifle style  shotgun, a belt fed submachinegun something to that effect. It seems we’re clearly divided into two camps and a wacky fire arm is about the only middle ground I could think of.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 13, 2023, 07:18:23 pm »

Right then.

While we may have our violent, irreconcilable differences regarding the subject of non-conventional weapons development, I don't see any reason why we can't cooperate and compromise, ay?

For the love of all that is good, let's not make our mod have to toss a coin on the very first Design we make.

Suggestion, as a compromise between a traditional firearm and something more out there could we all settle on a wacky fire arm for our starting weapon. A revolving rifle style  shotgun, a belt fed submachinegun something to that effect. It seems we’re clearly divided into two camps and a wacky fire arm is about the only middle ground I could think of.
Unnnnnfortunately we are required to create either a bolt-action rifle or a semi-automatic rifle for our first Design, and I don't think we can convince our moderator to waive that rule.

There's a lot of things we can consider to be a bolt-action rifle, but a shotgun or submachine gun are not among them.
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 13, 2023, 07:23:20 pm »

Wacky for the sake of being wacky. And starting prompt is a rifle, not an MG.
I'm not opposed to wacky, hence the bow. But I'd want something to help a tech tree.

Airgun is simple, has historical roots, and seems fun to work with. Helps with steam compression tech too, eventually.

Ninja'd

The best Rifle/Shotgun would be a detachable barrel and two ammo types. One for close quarters, another for long range. But buckshot runs the issue of dropping in effectiveness at 50 meters. And it's also why most of the "traditional" guns have a bayonet. They recognize close range is not a good place to be for a rifle.

UristMcRiley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 13, 2023, 07:24:02 pm »

Apologies on that, it’s been a minute since I read the original thread and frankly I was just trying to move the conversation in a more productive direction. Perhaps we could go with some oversized rifle something akin to Moskurgs Horsekiller not particularly creative but entertaining in its own way. Alternatively we could perhaps make a precision rifle that relies on hexagonal bullets like the whitworth rifles in the American civil war. I don’t exactly know if the technology translates to more modern fire arms but it is at the very least interesting.

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 13, 2023, 07:25:55 pm »

Hell I'll even write up a lever action rifle if people will compromise on that, hell if @Man of Paper allows it I might add some coilgun or tesla style thing to it if it makes everyone happy and we keep a more realistic idea for how our tech works.

Also, Hexagonal bullets lose effect compared to full metal jacketed spitzer bullets.

UristMcRiley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 13, 2023, 07:26:51 pm »

I’d support a lever gun, cowboy up and all that

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 13, 2023, 07:28:19 pm »

The only way I'm voting for a rifle that uses gunpowder is if the bullets are made of glass. Which is less unreasonable than you might think.

Hell I'll even write up a lever action rifle if people will compromise on that, hell if @Man of Paper allows it I might add some coilgun or tesla style thing to it if it makes everyone happy and we keep a more realistic idea for how our tech works.
The problem is, for some of us, the realism itself is undesirable if overused. The fact that the airgun is unrealistic is a good thing, as far as I'm concerned.
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

UristMcRiley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 13, 2023, 07:32:27 pm »

The problem with that position is it seems completely unreconcilable with the position myself and others hold that we want to at least keep the game grounded to some degree as that’s what we enjoy. While I appreciate your offer of glass bullets is your attempt at a compromise it certainly doesn’t seem like much of one to me.

Though I recognize you likely feel the same about mine and others determination to utilize traditional fire arms, I suppose the problem is that they’re isn’t a particularly clear middle ground between our positions at least not one that is readily apparent to me.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 13, 2023, 07:36:49 pm »

Well, let's put it this way.

What's your backup plan if a traditional firearm doesn't win? Are you going to keep trying to develop traditional firearms and such, or will you work with the new techbase?

My backup plan if a traditional firearm does win, is to work with that. I don't think I'd be happy about that outcome, but it's not like I'm out of ideas.

Diamond-tipped sniper bullets, anyone?

I think that as long as both of our internal factions (realism vs. surrealism) agree that we'll work with whatever the Design is as our techbase's starting point, then we can agree to let the moderator toss a coin, just this once, and then pursue our agendas based on that result.

UristMcRiley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 13, 2023, 07:40:03 pm »

I could support that, it would be a fair way to break the dead lock though a coin flip may not be the best way to handle it perhaps assign a number to each of our proposed designs and then use a number generator to pick one of them. I think the numbers are about even at present between surrealist and realistic design proposals. If not I’m sure we can agree to cull some of the designs to get them to even numbers.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 13, 2023, 07:42:52 pm »

The problem with that position is it seems completely unreconcilable with the position myself and others hold that we want to at least keep the game grounded to some degree as that’s what we enjoy. While I appreciate your offer of glass bullets is your attempt at a compromise it certainly doesn’t seem like much of one to me.

Though I recognize you likely feel the same about mine and others determination to utilize traditional fire arms, I suppose the problem is that they’re isn’t a particularly clear middle ground between our positions at least not one that is readily apparent to me.
Bigger guns, bigger dakka. Make our rifles sniper rifles that come with their own tripod support.

I could support that, it would be a fair way to break the dead lock though a coin flip may not be the best way to handle it perhaps assign a number to each of our proposed designs and then use a number generator to pick one of them. I think the numbers are about even at present between surrealist and realistic design proposals. If not I’m sure we can agree to cull some of the designs to get them to even numbers.
Can just flip a coin on the two leading proposals. Funny as the coiling bow would be. Though rolling a dice is a silly idea too.

UristMcRiley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 13, 2023, 07:44:44 pm »

Rolling the dice or flipping a coin it’ll get the game moving along so I support it.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 13, 2023, 07:45:29 pm »

I could roll a weighted die, with a d(total votes) where each vote is represented by a number. So currently it'd be a d9 with 1-4 as the one thing, 4-8 as the other, and 9 as the last.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 31