Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 31

Author Topic: Greatest War Southern Star Thread - Spring 1912 (Prelim 2 Revision)  (Read 13152 times)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Greatest War Southern Star Thread - Spring 1912 (Prelim 1 Design)
« Reply #75 on: October 12, 2023, 03:58:48 pm »

Pretty nice, hydropunk.

Also, I like how you're calling it a disability, as if one form of sci-fi is weaker than the the other. To use an example, the difference between a diesel, steam, clockwork, and pneumatic mech is how they work and function. They have different strengths and weaknesses. Diesel is good at long term power systems, steam has good force, clockwork tend to get mixed in with others, but can perform actions well, and pneumatic is light and fairly free in movement.

However. Mixing different systems creates a mech that is greater than the individual sciences that went into them. The freedom of the pneumonic mech could be combined with the long term power of diesel to create one that can range far and freely. Steam and Clockwork works to create a mech that is reliable, turning directional force to rotational. One is not weaker than the other, they just have differing strengths.

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 12, 2023, 04:05:51 pm »

I'm tired.

If this is the direction the team is going I'm just rapidly going to lose interest.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2023, 05:04:46 pm by Maxim_inc »

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 12, 2023, 05:20:35 pm »

It’s just the first design, you’ll be fine.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 12, 2023, 05:32:31 pm »

Could ask for a team switch before the design roll happens? Won't be able to influence NSA's first one, but...

Granted, I assuming the basics of each side's designs will be reported on. And no guarantee they aren't also doing something displeasing.

UristMcRiley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 12, 2023, 06:49:31 pm »

I’m with maxim on this one, there have been some successful arms race games that have deviated from realism. Namely war for the cinder spires or whatever it’s name was and the mech one with Nogrania being one of its factions. But all of the other arms race games that used out there weapon technology tend to die before even the first turn like the frost punk one that happened a couple years back now.

Just keep it grounded and let’s try to repeat sensei great successes 

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 12, 2023, 06:57:34 pm »

I’m with maxim on this one, there have been some successful arms race games that have deviated from realism. Namely war for the cinder spires or whatever it’s name was and the mech one with Nogrania being one of its factions. But all of the other arms race games that used out there weapon technology tend to die before even the first turn like the frost punk one that happened a couple years back now.

Just keep it grounded and let’s try to repeat sensei great successes

I agree in spirit but some of your wording might be taken as a bit of criticism on MoP's writing itself, like in a "Write like this guy because his style is better" though I know that's not what you were meaning at all.

Quote from: Votebox
4 - Świnka-Kröte M12 Rifle - Maxim, UristMcRiley, C2M, Thanatos
0 - Gryf's Szybki Rifle -
0 - 'Killer Queen' Standard Steam Rifle -
0 - Míngxīng Shèshǒu Rifle -
5 - Wiatrówki Wer. 1 "Windgun Ver. 1" - TricMagic, TCK, Kashyyk, Fallacy, m1895

Its just off by a single vote tooooooo.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 12, 2023, 07:08:04 pm »

Mm. Wands Race. Hive Race. Mad Arms Race. There have been a lot of successful Arms Races that deviated from realism. I know I'm forgetting more.

Quote from: Votebox
4 - Świnka-Kröte M12 Rifle - Maxim, UristMcRiley, C2M, Thanatos
0 - Gryf's Szybki Rifle -
0 - 'Killer Queen' Standard Steam Rifle -
0 - Míngxīng Shèshǒu Rifle -
5 - Wiatrówki Wer. 1 "Windgun Ver. 1" - TricMagic, TCK, Kashyyk, Fallacy, m1895

Its just off by a single vote tooooooo.

Painfully close, yes. The difference between beautiful air-pressure and gas manipulation technology and... conventional firearms.

Now is the time to switch your vote if you so desire. Speak now or forever hold your peace, basically.
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 12, 2023, 07:17:35 pm »

Painfully close, yes. The difference between beautiful air-pressure and gas manipulation technology and... conventional firearms.

.... Gas Manipulation Technology? You know that's literally just what.... Gas Operation is for Gunpowder weapons right? Gunpowder firearms in general are built entirely around gas
manipulation, even the shittiest musket takes it into account. Hell "Gas Manipulation" is how internal combustion engines work, how steam engines work even!

Also on tbe topic of "deviated from realism".  You're listing ARs that have a pre-planned and written set of rules and tech conditons making things clearly defined for both teams in a similar tech base. Those are your examples?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2023, 07:32:53 pm by Maxim_inc »

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 12, 2023, 07:31:12 pm »

Not what I was talking about. I'm talking more like, air cannons that shoot orbs of hypercompressed gas that explode violently upon impact, without making a sound before being fired, shrouds of ethereal particles that deflect attacks, anti-electronic fumes, stifling all the air in an entire theatre to prevent the travel of sound, making enemy communication impossible.
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 12, 2023, 07:35:13 pm »

Not what I was talking about. I'm talking more like, air cannons that shoot orbs of hypercompressed gas that explode violently upon impact, without making a sound before being fired, shrouds of ethereal particles that deflect attacks, anti-electronic fumes, stifling all the air in an entire theatre to prevent the travel of sound, making enemy communication impossible.

Bro I want what you're on if that's what you consider medium science fiction in a ww1 setting.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 12, 2023, 07:38:58 pm »

We're not exactly creating spaceships, faster-than-light drives, and time-distorting bubbles.

I'm sure the gamemaster will clarify the practical limits at some point, though.

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 12, 2023, 08:38:14 pm »

We're not exactly creating spaceships, faster-than-light drives, and time-distorting bubbles.

I'm sure the gamemaster will clarify the practical limits at some point, though.

You described physically impossible things in that post, not just wacky extensions of reality.

Thanatos Russ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 12, 2023, 11:56:06 pm »

Alright so. It seems like the "rule of cool" and "as long as you explain and it seems somewhat plausible" has been taken as "do whatever you want and as long as explanation, physics only obeys the dice"

I am pretty certain that the rules don't mean that extreme example. I am fairly sure that it means "you wanna have a weird calibre that still makes sense? go for it, the dice might make it viable.. you want flaming bullets? might take a couple of designs to get working somewhat usefully but it's viable maybe" "eventually mechs and hovercraft at some stage"

It's not, I don't think "air pressure is actually able to be better than simply using... chemistry?"

If the GM wants to give a ruling or explanation or clarification that would be beneficial, but I agree with Maxim that we have a WW1 with medium hardness reality, so immediately jumping ship seems a bit of a bad idea.

edit: also it seems "coolness" involves using magic to replicate something humans have been doing for 500+ years
« Last Edit: October 13, 2023, 12:01:50 am by Thanatos Russ »

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 13, 2023, 12:07:37 am »

If there's a goal to make things "physics-breaking" there'd have to be logical steps to get to that point. We aren't adhering strictly to reality, but reality is the starting point.

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 13, 2023, 12:11:00 am »

Also the Wind Rifle is literally just a copy of this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girardoni_air_rifle
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 31