Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 31

Author Topic: Greatest War Southern Star Thread - Spring 1912 (Prelim 2 Revision)  (Read 13115 times)

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Greatest War Southern Star Thread - Spring 1912 (Prelim 1 Design)
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2023, 08:14:27 pm »

Quote from: Votebox
2 - Świnka-Kröte M12 Rifle - Maxim, UristMcRiley
0 - Gryf's Szybki Rifle -
0 - 'Killer Queen' Standard Steam Rifle -
0 - Míngxīng Shèshǒu Rifle -

« Last Edit: October 14, 2023, 05:05:55 pm by Maxim_inc »

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2023, 08:50:50 pm »

3 - Świnka-Kröte M12 Rifle - Maxim, UristMcRiley, C2M

Looks good to me.
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

UristMcRiley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2023, 08:52:19 pm »

I think that there is a argument to be made for a radio as opposed to a truck on turn 3 both are undoubtedly good, but the potential for coordinated fire support right off the bat seems more appealing to me then the improved logistical capacity provided by trucks.

However if we do decide to go for the trucks I would like to see our turn 5 be used to create a armored fighting vehicle of some description to create break throughs that our motorized infantry could exploit seems more likely to force the other team into reacting to us as opposed to just another artillery piece. Food for thought at the very least

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2023, 09:12:47 pm »

I think that there is a argument to be made for a radio as opposed to a truck on turn 3 both are undoubtedly good, but the potential for coordinated fire support right off the bat seems more appealing to me then the improved logistical capacity provided by trucks.

However if we do decide to go for the trucks I would like to see our turn 5 be used to create a armored fighting vehicle of some description to create break throughs that our motorized infantry could exploit seems more likely to force the other team into reacting to us as opposed to just another artillery piece. Food for thought at the very least

A long range piece allows us to dictate more pieces of the battlefield than you think. Heavy field artillery allows us to attack into rear support structures outside the range of counterbattery fire and destroy hard defensive positions. Don't forget the first turns will be conducted in No-Mans-Land so a wheel based armored vehicle wont be as useful.

Long range field pieces also allows us to equalize the artillery duel doubling our firepower by allowing our howitzers and the long range guns to work in tandem to defeat the enemy howitzers with the long range guns out of range of counterbattery.

Another advantage is the action economy since it forces them to come up with a response to the heavy artillery if it is particularly effective

The Canadian kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cat in the Hat demands I hand over my kneecaps
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2023, 09:32:45 pm »

1 - Gryf's Szybki Rifle - TCK

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2023, 09:58:12 pm »

1 - 'Killer Queen' Standard Steam Rifle - Fallacy

Symbolic vote.

Plan-wise, the scale of the examples and the fact that it's called equipment specifically makes me think vehicles don't quite fit the desired pattern. A portable radio would be great for coordination of our troops and artillery.

Artillery on turn four is fine, but I'd much rather have a cargo train on turn five, due to the fuel efficiency, higher transport capacity, and coolness factor. Also, steam engines.
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2023, 10:25:33 pm »

1 - 'Killer Queen' Standard Steam Rifle - Fallacy, TricMagic

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2023, 10:43:02 pm »

2 - 'Killer Queen' Standard Steam Rifle - Fallacy, TricMagic

(Fixed the count).

Tangent - steam and gunpowder rifles aren't the only potential rifle options. Compressed-air and electromagnetic acceleration (eg, coilguns and such) are also options, it's just that they'd probably be more difficult than even the steam rifle, this early in the game.
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2023, 12:43:41 am »

L'Arsenal De Sa Majesté Modèle 1912 "Silverscale" Self-Loading Rifle
With the coming levée en masse, we have been given a most difficult task: creating a modern weapon even an upjumped peasant can use effectively.
The Silverscale is a 42 inch long, ruggedly made rifle using a longstroke piston to cycle .280 "Claquer" fmj Rounds with a hefty 60-grain cordite-derived powder charge. A fixed magazine contains a 12 round en bloc clip which drops out the bottom of the magazine as the last round is fired; the bolt also locks open allowing a new clip to be loaded and then a round slammed home with a smack of the charging handle.
A simple aperture sight was selected as people instinctively line up this sort of sight correctly, meaning even an ill-bred peasant can use it properly. Ballistically the weapon is accurate out to a bit over a mile, but thanks to various factors the average soldier is very unlikely to hit anything past 3 furlongs. A 12 inch knife-bladed bayonet can be affixed, providing excellent psychological effect in the charge. Last but not least, Black walnut was chosen to make the wooden furniture due to its combination of relative cheapness, good physical qualities, and (in The King's eye) fashionability.

Not a big fan of our standard rifle being in a pistol caliber, but a vanilla bolt action is too plain for me, so here's a self-loader in a rifle cartridge, will probably make a straight-pull with "automatic fire at home" a la the mondragon later to round things out if there's time.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2023, 12:47:54 am by m1895 »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2023, 08:44:37 am »

I like the idea of the Steam Rifle, but perhaps we should make it a little more appropriate for this day and age.

Quote from: Wiatrówki Wer. 1 "Windgun Ver. 1"
The Wiatròwki series of rifles, unlike the traditional firearm, is based on an old Romancean design using compressed air. It is a Infantry rifle, coming out at approximately 4ft long, and chambered for .303-inch calibre rounds. It comes with a removable, side-mounted, spring-loaded magazine that can hold 20 rounds, with a new round permitted into the chamber with a pull of the a lever.

The propellant comes in the form of a detachable air canister built into the stock of the weapon. Expected to have an operational capacity of 100 shots, it can then be replaced by a spare canister, or refilled via either the provided hand-pump or one of the regiment issue steam powered compressors.

Silent to use and easy to resupply, these weapons will put terror into the Administration.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2023, 08:51:47 am »

I like the idea of the Steam Rifle, but perhaps we should make it a little more appropriate for this day and age.

Quote from: Wiatrówki Wer. 1 "Windgun Ver. 1"
The Wiatròwki series of rifles, unlike the traditional firearm, is based on an old Romancean design using compressed air. It is a Infantry rifle, coming out at approximately 4ft long, and chambered for .303-inch calibre rounds. It comes with a removable, side-mounted, spring-loaded magazine that can hold 20 rounds, with a new round permitted into the chamber with a pull of the a lever.

The propellant comes in the form of a detachable air canister built into the stock of the weapon. Expected to have an operational capacity of 100 shots, it can then be replaced by a spare canister, or refilled via either the provided hand-pump or one of the regiment issue steam powered compressors.

Silent to use and easy to resupply, these weapons will put terror into the Administration.
I don't mind it. How about you Fallacy?
Also searched up air guns, and got this article. It's pretty dated~

Should make for a good base weapon. An old one brought forth for a new age, and no gunpowder to deal with getting wet.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2023, 09:11:48 am »

I like it. Put it in the votebox and I'll vote for it.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2023, 09:27:28 am »

1 - Wiatrówki Wer. 1 "Windgun Ver. 1" - TricMagic

The Canadian kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cat in the Hat demands I hand over my kneecaps
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2023, 09:57:15 am »

2 - Wiatrówki Wer. 1 "Windgun Ver. 1" - TricMagic, TCK

ARMS RACE where we do fun stuff and fail!

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2023, 10:15:41 am »

In the OP Rule of Cool is bold. For the Southern Star shall shine brightly against the dullards of the North.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 31