Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: Greatest War Northern Admin Thread - Spring 1912 (Prelim 2 Revision)  (Read 6732 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Greatest War Northern Admin Thread - Spring 1912 (Prelim 2 Revision)
« Reply #105 on: October 29, 2023, 01:41:30 pm »

Its good, but is it as good as the possibility of a masterwork gast gun? Imagine how insane that would be  :P

Anyways, moving right along, for revision, I am (still) leaning over towards the automatic rifle version of our standard rifle, because while... Lessee, its cheap, and if the sniper rifle is anything to go by thats a MMG for every squad, why not have a MMG for every squad, and a LMG-equivilant or two?

Kot, ya got any updates ya want to make to the Bearradair, besides slapping on that giggle switch we developed for our machinegun, or should one of us come up with a different revision..?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #106 on: October 29, 2023, 03:33:12 pm »

Its good, but is it as good as the possibility of a masterwork gast gun? Imagine how insane that would be  :P
Fugg
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 30, 2023, 01:15:39 am »

I'm all for an automatic rifle for this revision, but had this idea and wonder if it would fall within the scope of a revision.

Since the static emplacement of the machine gun is explicitly mentioned, I was wondering if we could try for a mobile emplacement with a front shield. IIRC that's been tried in ww1 before it evolved into tanks.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 30, 2023, 02:12:44 am »

Ah, this is what I have in mind. A Russian mobile personnel shield captured by the Germans in 1914.

But then combined with a machine gun platform.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #109 on: October 30, 2023, 04:42:45 am »

Since the static emplacement of the machine gun is explicitly mentioned, I was wondering if we could try for a mobile emplacement with a front shield. IIRC that's been tried in ww1 before it evolved into tanks.
Similar idea crossed my mind but I'm not sure. We might be better served with using that for a full defensive design - in that case a full-blown Panzernest, which is a little steel bunker on wheels armed with a single machinegun that could also be dug into the ground for additional stationary protection.
My question would be - do we posses any beasts of burden? I imagine "frontline" use would still be mostly people pushing/pulling but we could maybe make it so it has two pairs of wheels and there are little extensions at the back somewhat protecting any dudes brave enough to push it into position.

Slap in some basic ventillation for the inevitable combat gasses, maybe a stove for comfort if it gets cold and a periscope for the MG. If we get cocky/lucky a spotlight. But yeah, that's a design.
I'll post the gun later, am busy now.
EDIT: If that's too boring we can put it on legs like in Iron Harvest or something, if we make infantry armor to protect against the explosive bullets that they will probably revise at some point to be cheaper we could combine the knowledge to make exosuits or power armor or mechs.
I think i mentioned it somewhere but noble (of character) Administration Knights fighting against corrupt royalist (noble of birth) peons who resort to underhanded tactics is an idea I find infinitely amusing.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2023, 04:53:17 am by Kot »
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 30, 2023, 11:17:06 am »

There where also versions of those things that had cannon, predating WW1. Fahrpanzer.

Spoiler: large images (click to show/hide)

Perhaps interesting to us, they had versions of them that ran on narrow gauge railways. Only pushed along, but still.

Kot, ya going to suggest the revision to your rifle, or shall I? :P
« Last Edit: October 30, 2023, 11:18:37 am by Aseaheru »
Highly Opinionated Fool

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #111 on: October 30, 2023, 11:25:31 am »

Am at work for a while still so in few hours (I could quickly copy the old revision I guess but I'd like to adapt the new tech to it). You're free to do it though.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 30, 2023, 11:59:06 am »

A very ghetto WW1 Bren built from our poor, poor rifles, basically. Because hey, if we need new receivers and new stocks anyways, why not flip things and get some benefit towards keeping the thing loaded?
Highly Opinionated Fool

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: Greatest War Northern Admin Thread - Spring 1912 (Prelim 1 Revision)
« Reply #113 on: October 31, 2023, 05:37:30 am »

I have very little time recently.
I actually like the Bren thing but it has no name and I wonder if it would really be so hard to move the charging handle to the right side. I love my underhand charging but even if it's blocked mechanically we could probably make some silly extension that moves it to the other side. Also specify it ejects to the bottom or right or anywhere else that isn't someone's face. Give it some cute name too,

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 31, 2023, 07:58:22 am »

Well, the bolt handle being moved to the right is because the receiver is flipped upside down
Highly Opinionated Fool

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #115 on: October 31, 2023, 08:36:20 am »

Well, the bolt handle being moved to the right is because the receiver is flipped upside down
Sure, but we could maybe just put it on the other side with minor changes. Could look at Schmidt-Rubin and see but it could be anything we want really. It would make the parts incompatibile but not sure if it matters, and having a separate manual of arms for one of our many guns is weird.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 31, 2023, 08:52:41 am »

So let's see if I understand this correctly.
The Bren-inspired design is .. a light machine gun? Needs a crew of three to operate and it would be light enough that they could carry it around?
The Bearrarair is.. some sort of automatic variant of the standard rifle that a single person can carry around?

Is that an accurate summary? Any special advantages to either revision that I should be aware of?

"I am adorably stupid and want everything explained to me - if the meaning is pleasant."

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #117 on: October 31, 2023, 09:06:41 am »

They're both doing the exact same thing - it's a Chauchat/BAR/Madsen thing where it's a source of relatively portable machinegun fire.
Both would probably have at least two guys using them, one firing and one carrying additional ammo.
Difference is one is flipped around and one isn't and other minor stuff.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 02, 2023, 07:13:40 am »

I'll vote for the original design to keep the thread alive.

Quote from: revisionbox
NSA-LR-12-6-1, ADM Index: 5N3 (1): Quarque

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 03, 2023, 05:50:13 pm »

I was going to propose trying to break out perfect machine gun into a terrible faux SMG, but it was inappropriate with Halloween being over.
I've since been debating using our scopes to make binoculars. Turn 5's design can be an SMG or faster rifle, which works better than trying to revise one. In the mean time, binoculars will let us press our range advantage further, by giving us more eyes watching for grass waving weirdly when enemy soldiers move through it.

Quote from: revisionbox
NSA-LR-12-6-1, ADM Index: 5N3 (1): Quarque
NSA-EQ-13-6-2, ADM Index: 5H1 (1): Nirur Torir

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9