Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: Greatest War Northern Admin Thread - Spring 1912 (Prelim 2 Revision)  (Read 6743 times)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: Greatest War Northern Admin Thread - Spring 1912 (Prelim 1 Revision)
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2023, 03:35:16 pm »

Quote from: ADM Index: 17A2 "Votebox II"
(0) NSA-LR-12-4-1, ADM Index: 5N2 "Banchéile":
(0) NSA-LR-12-5-1, ADM Index: 5N3 "Brocair":
(0) NSA-LR-12-6-1, ADM Index: 5N4 "Bearradair":
(1) Saw-Wirecutter-Bayonet and Sheath, ADM Index: 5K2, 5H2: AseaHeru
(3) NSA-LR-12-4-2, ADM Index: 5N2 "Banchéile": Kot, NUKE9.13, Funk
(0) NSA-LR-12-4-3, ADM Index: 5N2 "Sealgair":
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Greatest War Northern Admin Thread - Spring 1912 (Prelim 1 Strategy)
« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2023, 10:51:57 pm »

Preliminary Turn 1 Revision Phase

Proposal: NSA-LR-12-4-2, ADM Index: 5N2 "Banchéile"
Difficulty: Simple
Result: (3+2)+4=9, Above Average

There isn't too much to get confused about when it comes to developing a scope - people have been using them, or things like them, for centuries. A 5x scope is far from cutting-edge technology. The most complicated part of production was clear and crisp marking of crosshairs, elevation markers, reference silhouettes (that even appear vaguely human if you squint) for 100m and 500m, and...nothing else, actually. It's a fairly simple, sturdy accessory designed to withstand the stresses of life as a rifle ornament.

Bipods are also nothing new, and are about as complex as a pair of sticks.

A muzzle brake is about as mechanically intensive as a bipod, even if it is a somewhat novel concept in applied firearms. Ports in the side of the barrel attachment redirect gases to reduce the recoil of the weapon.

Perhaps the most difficult part of the entire project was the most fun for the engineers involved: additional quality assurance testing at the range. The Bunaiteaches that fell within strict parameters in lab testing were selected for use in the Banchéile refit, slapping them with the off-center scope, centered muzzle brake, and bipod. Some Quality of Life improvements for the infantrymen are provided in the form of padding for the cheek and shoulder. It also comes with the standard cleaning kit.

The end result of the Banchéile refit is a rifle with a much greater potential for stability from the bipod, reduced muzzle climb and recoil from the muzzle break, and increased accuracy at range thanks to the scope taking over for the limits of the human eyeball. While this pushes effective range of the rifle out to 1300m, long distance sniping as a concept was just thought up by your engineers for this summary of their work, so human limitations rooted in a lack of training are still in effect there. [GM Note: Skill issue]

Although there are a few additions to the weapon, none of them are intensive or expensive, so the - where are my notes - NSA-LR-12-4-2, ADM Index: 5N2 "Banchéile" is Cheap. This means there's generally a scoped rifle for each squad.

----------------

It is now the Strategy Phase. In this phase you will be voting for two lanes (West, Center, East) to attack along. You will also eventually be able to choose which lanes to deploy your various National Efforts. While control of territory won't be changing in the Preliminary Turns, for practice and consistency I've decided that we will be voting strategies.

This means you have TWO votes right now, for TWO lanes of attack, and you cannot double up votes on the same lane.

Spoiler: Armory (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Territories (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
TURNTURNTURN

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Greatest War Northern Admin Thread - Spring 1912 (Prelim 1 Strategy)
« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2023, 11:21:20 pm »

Some Quality of Life improvements for the infantrymen are provided
:D

Let's attack the flanks, because it sounds strategic.
Quote from: ADM index 18A1 "strategic voting"
Attack in the east (1): Quarque
Attack in the centre
Attack in the west (1): Quarque

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2023, 01:42:26 am »

Sides area win
Attack in the east (2): Quarque, Funk
Attack in the centre
Attack in the west (21): Quarque, Funk
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2023, 03:14:37 am »

Attack in the east (3): Quarque, Funk, Kot
Attack in the centre
Attack in the west (3): Quarque, Funk, Kot
As good as any although I hear west is especially popular tourist destination recently.
Sort of a shame we didn't add more onto the gun or voted for the complex automatic rifle, but it's not like we could have known our engineers are so damn good.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2023, 03:17:16 am by Kot »
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2023, 03:52:49 am »

We can be a bit more ambitious with the next design.

Reading up on machine gun designs from the era, one of the best ones (Vickers) used evaporative water-cooling, with a tube surrounding the gun to captured the steam. This had two advantages: you don't run out of water in dry areas and no steam cloud to betray the position of the gun. Maybe a good idea?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2023, 10:46:31 am »

So, almost but not quite. The jacket around the barrel of the Vickers(and the Maxims, which the Vickers is a variant of, and all the other water cooled guns of the time) contains the water. It boils off, yes, and *could be* collected via a tube to condensing containers. However, you still needed a significant quantity of water, and the weapon was still very complex and very, very heavy from the era. It was also extremely reliable, but nearly all Maxim variants where. The Vickers was anywhere from 11-14kg, with a 10kg belt, 4.3kg of water in the weapon(and probably another 13 or so kg of water cooling/backup), and a 18-23kg tripod. Even "light" Maxim variants are very heavy weapons, like the Swiss MG 11(18.7kg loaded and watered, and still requiring a mount) or the German MG 08/15(18kg loaded and watered).

Plus, they are recoil operated, and I would prefer a MG design that we can use to help make our automatic rifle/LMG version of the rifle more likely, something more akin to the St. Étienne M1907, the Lewis Gun, the Colt M1895 "Potato Digger(albiet more towards the end of the Marlin M1917, but we cant directly copy that yet)... gas-operated guns, basically. Ideally air-cooled, but I am not entirely opposed to liquid-cooled guns, just a little leery of the complexities of liquid-cooling and recoil-operated, because of all those dang seals...

Oh, and asfor where to attack, I have no preference.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2023, 03:09:50 pm »

Plus, they are recoil operated, and I would prefer a MG design that we can use to help make our automatic rifle/LMG version of the rifle more likely, something more akin to the St. Étienne M1907, the Lewis Gun, the Colt M1895 "Potato Digger(albiet more towards the end of the Marlin M1917, but we cant directly copy that yet)...
We can do whatever we want I imagine, this ain't Earth. At least not our Earth.

EDIT: Also, a question to the GM, mostly out of curiosity about meme potential, but since there's no naval stuff, would designs that benefit from water still, well, benefit? If we were, for example, make a machine of sorts capable of flying thanks to the use of flat planes on it's sides, that could land on water thanks to use of, say, floats (a floatplane)... would that actually give us a tangible benefit like having effectively indestructible airfields or is water a no-go zone at all?
Are there any rivers, swamps or otherwise difficult terrain that would benefit from amphibious capabilities on land based gear?

* So heavy it's not a personal firearm anymore, it's a heavy crew weapon according to the ADMI!
** It should probably be smaller (something between 10 and 13mm in width, just below 100mm in length) but I just doubled the size of our normal one because that's cool I guess.
*** I have no idea what the actual weight of TuF Gast gun would be, but considering the Soviet Gsh-23 weights about 50kg but is an aerial autocannon, so maybe a bit lighter? It's much newer though, so I have no idea. Either way there's no way this is anything but something five guys come in and set up, with any mobility being thanks to it being pushed around on wheels.
****1500 rounds per minute or maybe even more.

I'll post the maybe more sensible (single-barreled) variants later but I still want a comparatively heavy machinegun. I guess we need to see what happens first too, but it's an idea.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2023, 03:31:18 pm by Kot »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2023, 04:06:39 pm »

Is gast gun, gets my vote when it is time for more designs. And I dont have to suggest it this time! And yeah, 15mm projectiles are probably a *little* big, but I can live with it.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2023, 04:43:25 pm »

would designs that benefit from water still, well, benefit?

I’m going to say no just for the sake of keeping lines from blurring and having boundaries get pushed until there are cars that just so happen to be able to drive on water and fire 300mm guns.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2023, 04:50:55 pm »

Okay but what if the floats were retractable, would that be okay?
Long Live United Forenia!

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2023, 06:17:22 pm »

The slightly edited monstrous fire breathing tree cutting absurd gun. It's cool. It's like Gast Flieger MG, it's made for breaking down mountains. I find it the coolest of the bunch. It's heavy and will probably be more expensive than cheap but if it works and is reliable we might have a gun that will utterly destroy the inevitable mech, power armor or armored whatever.
The more sensible option of a single-barreled gas operated heavy machinegun. Something more akin to a Hotchkiss 13.2 mm machine gun. Kind of same as above, a much safer option mechanically and realistically and will achieve much of the same but without nearly as much  muzzle blast and loud sound (if we ever get around that Infantry QoL we're gonna need some earplugs), and as we know loud and bright equals cool.
The MG 18 TuF/M1921 Browning (the gun is actually Colt MG52 but it's essentially the same thing and no, it's not from 1952). The watercooled option. It's probably the most basic but slightly more complex than the Torann thanks to the water jacket, which admitelly might make it capable of shooting for longer than just a while.
It's late so I will procure designs for lighter guns tommorow/later/when the turn actually drops, as I wonder how many of them can we make die with what we have right now. Say things you guys want if there are any. Because of the lateness of hour some ADMI codes or stuff might not make sense either. Weights are honestly bullshit, I don't care much really, precise measurement of weight won't probably matter anyway as nobody will be carrying any of these and firing them from the shoulder. Ammo is big because it's double the size of our rifle ammo and it probably won't matter that much either as actual ballistics are things of myth. The aiming at the mountains bit is a shameless attempt to get anti-aircraft guns in a game without aircraft (yet) and I will not hide it but I still find the justification funny. Maybe let us keep it if we roll well, eh?

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 20, 2023, 07:12:53 pm »

[spoiler=NSA-CM-12-1-2, ADM Index: 3N2 "Arrachtach"]
I find it the coolest of the bunch. It's heavy and will probably be more expensive than cheap but if it works and is reliable we might have a gun that will utterly destroy the inevitable mech, power armor or armored whatever.
Hmm, I can't argue your taste of cool, but I do feel it would be a little premature to build a machine gun that can take down armor and such. It could take quite a while before the ability to take down armor becomes relevant.

I would feel much better about designing the ultimate murder machine for taking down human meat wave attacks. That is going to be relevant immediately and we might gain a lead. There is plenty of time to design anti-tank weapons later.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9