Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Greatest War Northern Admin Thread - Spring 1912 (Prelim 2 Revision)  (Read 6728 times)

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Welcome to the newly formed War Council of the Northern States Administration! As an Administrative Engineer it is the responsibility of you and your fellows to ensure the armed forces of The Northern States Administration are equipped and deployed in a most efficient manner befitting the Administration.

Your first goal is to create the standard issue rifle for the Administrative Armed Forces. It may be bolt-action or self-loading/semiautomatic, although semiauto firearms are not yet very tried and tested weapons on the battlefield.

Administrative forces have begun to mass along the southern defensive line in response to increased activity by Southern Star military near the border.

Spoiler: Armory (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Territories (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2023, 09:07:15 pm by Man of Paper »

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Greatest War Northern Admin Thread - Spring 1912 (Prelim 1 Design)
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2023, 08:42:33 am »

Here's some thing to start with.

Spoiler: The Blitz shock rifle (click to show/hide)
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2023, 11:35:26 am »

Looks good to me, but then again I know diddly squat about rifles tbh.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2023, 03:15:14 pm »

Picture a soldier in the mud of the trenches. A night assault is ordered during heavy rain. In the course of this, he crawls through the wet mud, and his gun is saturated with it.
His platoon reaches the enemy trench. He stabs out with his bayonet, then bludgeons the enemy with his gun.
Exhausted and victorious, he falls asleep without cleaning it. In the morning, he has ten minutes to make himself presentable, scarf down breakfast, and clean the caked off mud and blood with an old rag and a barrel of dirty water, in the dim light of a filthy trench.

We need for his gun to not jam because there's still a bit of dirt in the firing mechanism, more than we need long range or volume of fire. I'm not sure we even need long range on all our infantry, when the terrain is forests, trenches, mountains, and cities. Volume of fire can be covered by machine guns for now.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2023, 03:31:28 pm »

Just before reading your post I was reading up on rifles used in trench warfare and learning what bolt-action is. Simple and reliable is good, I am loving this. A bit early for votes but here we go.

Quote from: leadbox
ADM-12 Bean Counter Rifle (1): Quarque

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2023, 12:56:41 am »

Greetings fellow engineers!

Now, while it is all well and good having the best rifle, it is useless if we cant have enough to equip enough folks. Likewise, we do need something with enough features to be useful, and modern enough to be future proofed, atleast until we develop totally-not-a-pseudo-assault-rifle-based-off-of-.351WSL

Thus, I present the NSA's ADA-RA

Also, brass? Really? Ateast go with something more modern(and cheaper), like gunmetal. Which is not grey when its the metal yer talking about, not the colour, but I digress
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2023, 01:00:26 am »

How about using blued steel for the metal parts? Blueing is a process that was fairly common at the time. The steel is treated with magnetite to give it a black oxide coating. If you keep the gun oiled it provides fairly decent rust protection and it makes the gun look extra badass.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2023, 05:00:15 am »

How about using blued steel for the metal parts? Blueing is a process that was fairly common at the time. The steel is treated with magnetite to give it a black oxide coating. If you keep the gun oiled it provides fairly decent rust protection and it makes the gun look extra badass.
Neat.

*It's a Schmidt-Rubin and I won't even hide the fact. I considered making some unholy abomination that had a tubular magazine and gate loading or Krag–Jørgensen magazine or such but decided against it. It might seem overwhelming but it's really simple, the only really "complex" (as in, different from a normal bolt action rifle) parts it might have is the internal cam system which is what allows for the straight pull action which might have slight benefits in the future if we play our cards right.
**It's not really complex, the handguard just doesn't touch the barrel at any point. Might have some durability issues with cracked stocks but it's not probably way worse than normal and the advantages are mostly cosmetic, for now.
***I assume we can get that since we're in a forest but w/e make it some bright wood. I actually don't know much about wood so if it's excessively heavy or weak someone might suggest something else, I just want the white-black contrast.
****Google Schmidt-Rubin. It's that.
*****Apparently a real thing Swiss used.
******I assume we have some form of soldier's kit so I don't have to specify that but if we don't I'll be happy to throw in some cheap and simple bandolier (NSA-FA-1912-2-2, ADM Index: 1E2) so they don't have to carry the ammo in pockets of their civilian clothing. Also, since the bayonet attaches to both the handguard and the barrel it would help with rigidity and robustness of the whole rifle when it's most needed at the cost of presumably reducing accuracy when it's least needed.

The first naming scheme, the NSA-whatever is basically old Arstotzkan one which I think mostly fits. If we use the example of this rifle, it goes NSA (we're watching you), Long Rifle, year of 1912, 3rd proposal, 1st iteration, simple enough to understand.
The second naming scheme is my own retarded take at GRAU index (US Army supply catalog and similar systems do not appease the level of bueraucratic hell we should aspire to), which is mostly used to help with logistical load. Our first design is 1A1, meaning the 1 will stand for personal soldier's kit, A being firearms and last 1 being the first design (hopefully) adopted. All ammunition would use the prefix 2, A being small arms ammunition and 1 being the first design adopted. The magazines, being part of a rifle, not ammunition use 1B1 but stripper clip packets use 2A1-2 being packed ammunition. D is for melee weapons apparently. The cleaning kit and bayonet scabbard we're doing firearms accessories and soldier's equipment, with C going for accessories and E being all the random shit he might wear such as clothes, backpacks or, well, scabbards.
Of course right now all the stuff is named in order which I wrote them by, which isn't really that great but we could go and make a cool category list for future use. Or we could just go with it and bear the retardation or maybe do a nice rework of the whole system in future providing us more occasions to flex our bueraucratic muscle!
I hope all this was easy to take in. All goyrl to the NSAstotzka!
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2023, 08:31:53 am »

So, we have
>automatic rifle
>bolt action rifle
>not a MAS-36(or atleast, an amalgamation of most of the things the MAS-36 was inspired by)
>Not a Schmidt-Rubin- err, nope, its just a Schmidt-Rubin
Highly Opinionated Fool

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2023, 09:41:20 am »

>Not a Schmidt-Rubin- err, nope, its just a Schmidt-Rubin
It should be easy to convert that to semi-auto if we figure out a way to not have the bolt bash someone's head in. If we create new furniture where the reciever is located further up on the rifle (cut down the barrel too to keep the overall length short) and have a connector bar for the trigger a simple gas system and return spring would be all that's neccesary. This way we can eat the cake of bolt action rifle (that also should fire slightly faster than a regular bolt action rifle) and have the cake of semi-auto rifle for the future too.
A Lee Navy action might be arguably cooler but making it semi-auto seems more complicated.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2023, 10:22:15 am »

Ok I'm voting the Not-a-Schmidt-Rubin

It is a proposal full of ridiculous codes.
Bolt action with potential for auto sounds excellent.
It has black coating.
It has an explicit description of the cleaning oil. Cleaning oil is very important.
It is based on a Swiss thing. Swiss things are good.
I can't say no.

ADM-12 Bean Counter Rifle (0):
NSA-LR-1912-3-1, ADM Index:1A1 (1): Quarque

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2023, 02:03:49 pm »

I'll put my trust in Mr Retractable Floats, I guess. Unless MoP vetoes the name.
NSA-LR-1912-3-1, ADM Index:1A1 (2): Quarque, NUKE9.13
Long Live United Forenia!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2023, 02:22:43 pm »

I had cleaning oil too...

I do have five nits to pick about 1912-3-1, namely the detachable magazines being a thing, the bayonet with 45mm of blade(Yes, thats probably just a typo. 450mm blades? Thats still a really short grip for a sword bayonet) the chargers being called stripper clips(they arent really, it encapsulates the rounds, argle blargle gumph), what ranges are the sights setup fer and finally there is the implication that you cant do a semi-auto conversion of bolt-action firearms that do not have straight-pull actions.
 Its just significantly easier. and less janky, but they would be anyways.

Barring suggestions on how to make my entry acceptable to others, I have no objections with going for the 1912-3-1, atleast if we drop the first two digits of the year. Think of the paper and ink we can save by omitting them! Its not like we will ever have a Y2K problem over it eigther...
Highly Opinionated Fool

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2023, 03:54:22 pm »

I do have five nits to pick about 1912-3-1, namely the detachable magazines being a thing,
I was somewhat worried about this too but it's mainly because a whole lot of bolt action rifles from the era actually do have magazines that can be detached, it's just that they're almost never issued with them. If there's significant pushback then I'm fine with dropping that since if we ever have to make longer ones then putting a longer fixed magazine is literally the least worrying modification.
the bayonet with 45mm of blade(Yes, thats probably just a typo. 450mm blades? Thats still a really short grip for a sword bayonet)
Oh, yeah, obvious typo, you get those with all the paperwork sometimes. Would be hilarious if the bad roll actually resulted in the issue being something like this. The issues stem from me originally wanting to do something absolutely absurd like 700mm bayonet before scaling back to something closer to M1917 while rounding the numbers for neatness. I shall revise post-haste.
the chargers being called stripper clips(they arent really, it encapsulates the rounds, argle blargle gumph),
Fair. Maybe there would be confusion as to how they actually work if I named them otherwise but you're right.
what ranges are the sights setup fer
I don't want to go into this because this sort of detail is ultimately very pointless (and ideally would depend on what sort of performance can we get out of our round) unless it's something remarkable or funny. I imagine grading them to a kilometer would be more than sufficient but we can go full on over two kilometers if we want that pre-WW1 flair.
and finally there is the implication that you cant do a semi-auto conversion of bolt-action firearms that do not have straight-pull actions.
 Its just significantly easier. and less janky, but they would be anyways.
Oh no, not at all. But I think it would look more sleek with the cams being inside (as really some pieces of internals of a straight pull like Schmidt-Rubin are pretty similar to how most bolt-action conversions operated on the outside). Rychiger rifle looks really nice and it's essentially that, although I have never seen any good explanation as to how do the internals actually work compared to S-R and how does it deal with bolt going into someone's face. Maybe they just were men about it.
Barring suggestions on how to make my entry acceptable to others, I have no objections with going for the 1912-3-1, atleast if we drop the first two digits of the year. Think of the paper and ink we can save by omitting them!
This is why ADMI is clearly the superior method of designation but I fear we would have to have a huge explanation block and guide to make it accesible to everyone.

I might create a more comprehensive idea of what the ADMI would look like in a bit.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2023, 03:57:07 pm by Kot »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2023, 04:54:37 pm »

Most magazines of the era are removable, for cleaning, but not really detachable, often lacking things like "feed lips"(like the MAS-36) or "retention within the firearm other than screws"(like the Springfield M1903). But the Schmidt Rubin is amongst those that are detachable, but are issued one to a weapon, yes.

Referring things to their ADMI is all well and good, once they are actually selected. Till then... Well, we need something to call them then.

Quote from: leadbox for ADM Index 1A1
NSA-LR-1912-3-1(3): Quarque, NUKE9.13, AseaHeru
Highly Opinionated Fool
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9