Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21

Author Topic: ARMs: Artificial Maidens [Recruiting a Handler]  (Read 10778 times)

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ARMs: Artificial Maidens
« Reply #285 on: September 14, 2024, 04:18:00 pm »

Waiting on Downtime activities for Team Scarlet Star and Team Gunmetal Rose. If nothing in particular is selected, ARMs will default to Rest, or use a medical facility to heal their lowest negative quality.
Do we need to wait a round for the facilities?
Yes, the facilities will be available for the next Downtime phase.

edit: found it

GM: Handlers may now declare the Downtime schedule of their ARM.

Further note about Facility building for future Cycles. When an order is placed to build a Facility, the construction finishes at the start of the next Cycle.
Maintenance costs are substracted at the end of each Downtime.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2024, 04:20:12 pm by Nakéen »

VermilionSkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: September 14, 2024, 04:19:35 pm »

"...While I appreciate the medical facilities, until we have greater funding, it's simply more efficient for Daybreak to rest with our amenities."
Sarah smiles at Daybreak.
"Which should have some better food for you after our next mission!"

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: September 14, 2024, 04:27:28 pm »

Optimize Love. It'll be a while before Baretta can fight another Reaper-type, but there's no incubator tube and I'd rather use actions on getting stronger rather than on getting 0.5 extra healing in a single Quality.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: September 14, 2024, 04:28:33 pm »

"I'm not sure if things like this are worth considering over combat potential, but PN-2079 would be liked by both of our ARMs for her Bravery and... Coolness, and like the others for their Purity. A striker who can act as a role model for the team seems like a force multiplier to me. Admittedly her Power is limited."
Ray rubbed his chin.

"More mascot than fighter, but we can optimize anything over time. Is compatibility that important?"
"Well... It's something that we can't just optimize after picking our ARMs. We're headed for the unknown sector, right? If our Division lives long enough, the ARMs might well reach their potential maximum for strength, but they'll still have to stick together to the end."
I agree with PN being compatible with Baretta, and Capella is great. However, would just being an ARM that both Scarlets likes be good enough for increasingly dangerous situations? Hence I suggest recruiting ZW-2929, as her power is high, can be trained higher, is considered cool, and has likes and dislikes that doesn't conflict with the team?
Ray tapped a muffled metallic finger on the desk for a bit, staring at his communication device.

"Handler Smith is correct that PN-2079 would require significantly more resources than either other candidate. Handler Argis is correct that compatibility cannot be improved with resources. At least, not that we've confirmed.

It's my reluctant conclusion that we're going to need heavy investment regardless. ARMs aren't very useful straight off the assembly line, so we don't really have a choice except to develop them in the field. That means we'll want to optimize for the long run.

PN-2079 it is. We'll have two veterans to help her limp along until we can get her up to par."

ARM Order: PN-2079
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: September 14, 2024, 04:29:33 pm »

Optimize Love. It'll be a while before Baretta can fight another Reaper-type, but there's no incubator tube and I'd rather use actions on getting stronger rather than on getting 0.5 extra healing in a single Quality.
Because someone asked me this, when you optimize a quality you do gain some of it.

For example if you optimize love on someone that is 0/1, it will go 1/2 rather than 0/2.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: September 14, 2024, 05:03:56 pm »

I think we just used up all our training budget. So we'll have to rest.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

The Canadian kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cat in the Hat demands I hand over my kneecaps
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: September 14, 2024, 05:42:26 pm »

put Capella on recreational leave

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: September 16, 2024, 11:36:55 pm »

Year 450 Cycle 4 - Downtime

SKITS

Skit: Airi Corra's Echoes

Characters: Raven-621

Ever since that outing with Handler Walter, Raven-621 had been feeling a bit forlorn. She had been dreaming a lot the past few days, with scenes of someone's life so vivid they felt very much alive.

<Simulator System>: "Apparition patterns initialized. Setting Spectre type to: Harvester. Waiting for confirmation."

Ah right. She was still in the middle of Invoker training.
Raven-621: "Confirm."

<Simulator System>: "Initiating simulation. Wave 1."

One "Harvester" appeared along with a slew of Apparitions.
Raven-621: "Hmm let's see. Ok. Let's try that out: manifesting Chained Guardian."

A torrent of chains emerged from behind her, wrapping around her into a spherical cocoon. More chains sprang out in all sides, twisting into a humanoid shape that looked exactly like a massive Guardian made of chains. She touched the "controls" with nostalgia, a faint voice guiding her.

(...)

<Simulator System>: "Wave 3, cleared. Congratulation on the results. Terminating simulation. Please do not forget to hydrate yourself."

Raven-621: "Hmm I will have some juice then... ah what was the brand... the red bottle with a mecha on it."

<Simulator System>: "Order received. Please collect your drink at the exit."

Raven-621 emerged from the shower all refreshed, a cold towel hanging around her neck. Her short blond hair was tied in a high ponytail giving her a more relaxed feel than usual. She was deep in thoughts, enjoying some quite right outside the training simulator.
Raven-621: "Your parents were Guardian pilots... I remember now. That's why you loved that movie, it made you think of the two of them fighting on the front, defending humanity from Phantasms. No way, you piloted your first Guardian at the age of ten? Oh you literally fell in the cockpit. No way, haha."

The lone girl continued having a conversation alone on that bench as the minutes flew. Most of the time she was silent, as if listening to something. Rarely she laughed. One time she wiped off a tear.
Raven-621: "Is... is that really how you awakened? I'm sorry, I never knew."

Finally Raven-621 opened her eyes. There was no one else around, and she let out a chuckle.
Raven-621: "It's like she is talking to me. Core Echoes, that's what the phenomenon was called I recall. I should talk about this to Handler Walter..."

Raven-261 is experiencing Core Echoes from Airi Corra

Skit: A Captive Mind

Characters: Malakim-12, Handler Walter

Leaving Raven-621 to train by herself, Handler Walter accompanied Malakim-12 to her scheduled quality optimisation. Malakim-12 didn't seem yet in the mood to talk, so the Handler didn't push her and the two headed to the facility in silence. There they met Chief Engineer Jolly who fortunately filled the silence with her never ending explanations of optimisation and phantasm element applications. The process ended quickly and without a hitch, leaving the ARM and her new Handler with some time to spare.

The ARM had a much better complexion after the optimization, and Handler Walter recalled some words of the Chief Engineer.
[4th Division Chief Engineer] Adelie Jolly: "If the optimisation will also heal core damage? Of course, to put it into layman's terms... I know! It's like adding a room to a damaged house. The room is brand new, regardless of the house state! W-What's with that look? Why are you all looking at me like that? A poor explanation? Well you try then Engineer Sasha-"

These engineers seemed like a rowdy and happy bunch, in hindsight. Either way, Malakim-12 did seem to be feeling a bit better. Just as Walter had that thought, the ARM finally broke her silence.
Malakim-12: "Handler Walter pardon the rude question, but do you know why Handler Jocelyn left?"

As he thought, Malakim-12 was still hung up on her previous Handler. Quickly recalling a few important informations about model XH-2111, Walter recalled that the Core Donor was susceptible to develop a dependancy relationship toward an authority figure due to her... difficult past. As he thought of how to answer, she continued talking.
Malakim-12: "It-it's not that I doubt your capabilities, far from it. Raven-621 had only praise about you. But when I... when I think that maybe Handler Jocelyn left because I was lacking, I feel... helpless."

[Ongoing interaction...]

Skit: Spice is the spice of life

Characters: Capella Scarlet

As soon as the armored car dropped them in Sehigama City, Capella bolted out like a cat, her sparkling silver eyes darting all over the place. She bumped her fist upward victoriously, and turned toward Handler Johnathon who was accompanying her.
Capella Scarlet: "Thank you for the leave! Thank youuu!!!"

The girl was wearing casual clothes, making her no different from an average girl. Well with the scene she had just put on, she might have looked like an eccentric country girl. Oh well, that day was hers. She had worked hard for it.

First up they went to listen to some live concerts of various subgenres of metal, and Capella was so much on fire Johnathan worried she might accidentally unleash her ARM powers from raw excitement. Somehow he managed to hear her talking with the loud concert in the background.
Capella Scarlet: "Listen to that SOUND! Can't you feel it coming from the soul, shaking yours in the process?!"

She truly was enjoying herself, which made the Handler glad. They went to a few more concerts and musical venues until it was lunchtime already. Obviously given it was Capealla's day, they went to a restaurant that specialized in food so spicy it might have been categorized as a bioweapon.

A massive bowl of soup arrived before Capella, its threatening red broth seemingly alive and filled with hate for life itself. It might have been his imagination, but the Handler for sure saw the oily scum forming into human skulls at various occasions. Capella clasped her hands in a prayer - and Johnathan did for a moment wonder if she was praying for her own survival there.
Capella Scarlet: "I'm so grateful I get to eat such wonderful food. I now remember why I fight. Why Spectres must be eradicated from the face of Nagaea. They want to take away my- our reasons for living! Thanks for the meal!"

Capella stuffed her face with her food like it was the most delicious thing in the world, and her delighted expression might have fooled the Handler into thinking this might not have been that spicy. But his nose and eyes said otherwise, the mere fumes bringing him to tears. When she was done with the bowl, she asked for seconds.

(...)

The day of fun came to an end, and the ARM was radiating with happiness. She hugged her Handler to convey all her gratitude.
Capella Scarlet: "Handler Johnathan, you are the best! No- you are the COOLEST!"

Capella Scarlet has recovered all her Power

Skit: Special Operation! A clumsy ARM's apology

Characters: Tule Vankrels, Daybreak, Handler Roland, Handler Sarah

As she only had rest time on her schedule, Daybreak decided to read some hard scifi technical articles before taking a nap in her quarters. After about an hour, she was woken up by someone knocking lightly on her door.
Tule Vankrels: "Daybreak, this is Tule Vankrels. Are you here? I need some help."

Daybreak stretched like a cat and leapt out gracefully out of bed, barely making a sound. She saw her slightly disheveled hair in the mirror, the usual tenacious blond cowlick taunting her. She sighed, and went to the door to open it.
Daybreak: "Yes? How can I help."
Tule Vankrels: "Oh shoot you were sleeping?! I'm so sorry! I should have figured out that was why you weren't answering my messages..."

The girl stretched herself again, passing from a half awake state to a nearly fully awake state.
Daybreak: "Don't worry. It's good that you woke me up, I don't like sleeping too much. My head is in a fog if I sleep too much. Want to come in?"
Tule Vankrels: "Thank you. Sorry for the intrusion."

She took a chair, sitting nervously on it as if she was going to have an interview.
Tule Vankrels: "It's about yesterday. After cooling down a bit I realized how... inappropriate my conduct was. It's been bothering me all day. I would like to apologize, but I get scared when I think how that would look in the eyes of an officer! I hate it, it's so mortifying!"

In the midst of a fight with her eternal enemy against a clean hairstyle, Daybreak replied from the bathroom.
Daybreak: "How about an apology gift? You know, to convey your sincerity."
Tule Vankrels: "I thought about it... but what would be a suitable gift? I don't have a single clue what would suit Handler Roland!"
Daybreak: "Something generic and profesionnal should work, don't you think?"
Tule Vankrels: "How cold! No it needs to be something that will convey my apologies... hence I want to do something handmade."

Daybreak poked her head out from the bathroom, and so did the rebellious cowlick.
Daybreak: "You are not making it easier on yourself, you know?"
Tule Vankrels: "That's why I need your help! You are the more composed, bravest of us two, unless I who can't help but say what's on her mind!"
Daybreak: "Yeah, but that's what I find cute about you."
Tule Vankrels: "Come on I'm seriously in a bind here!"

Glaring at her current enemy who was defiantly bobbing back and forth, the blond-haired girl thought to herself that she was also in a bind right now. She was entertaining the thought of just grabbing a pair of scissors to cut the hair, but then she thought about how horrible that would look.
Daybreak: "Let's investigate then. We should be able to access personnel files on one of the Division computers. Then finding a suitable gift shouldn't be harder than finding a lady that doesn't exist."

Tule barged in the bathroom.
Tule Vankrels: "That's it! Thank you Daybreak!"
Daybreak: "You're welcome. Give me five... no ten minutes to get ready, and let's go."

(...)

The two girls had no issue finding an available computer, which they used to access the files of their superiors.
Tule Vankrels: "Handler Roland likes guns and caffeine... so coffee... That's great! I can do something with that."
Daybreak: "Handler Sarah likes chocolate. Good to know."
Tule Vankrels: "A gun... made from... coffee-flavored chocolate..."
Daybreak: "That sounds like a killer Valentine's gift."
Tule Vankrels: "Spare me the sarcasm, let's get to work!"

With this information in hand, they raided their canteen field ration boxes for chocolate and coffee powder. From these emergency ingredients, they crafted a handgun made from field coffee-flavoured military chocolate. The hardest part was melting the military chocolate, but they succeeded and even managed to make the whole thing decently palatable.
Daybreak: "Not great, not terrible. Compared to the base ingredients, it's a roaring success though."
Tule Vankrels: "You could be more positive, my life is on the line here!"

Daybreak gave her a thumbs-up.
Daybreak: "Don't worry, I'm sure your gift will convey your feelings across. When Handler Roland will get a taste of the chocolate, he will realize how dire our accomodations are. You truly are a genius Tule."
Tule Vankrels: "You know, if I had a real gun in my hand right now I don't think I would be able to resist the temptation of shooting you."

(...)

Handler Roland Thompson was called by Tule Vankrels. Before he could ask what was up, she bowed at a near 90° angle and held out something packaged in camo paper, the whole thing tied up with a ribbon.
Tule Vankrels: "Please accept this, as a sign of my sincerest apologies for my earlier inappropriate conduct toward my direct superior!"

DOWNTIME RESULTS

Team Scarlet Star

Quote from: Downtime Activities
Baretta Scarlet: MG Quality Optimiser - Increase Love to 2 (use 2 D-rank Phantasm Elements)
Capella Scarlet: Recreational leave

Quote from: ARM Report
Baretta Scarlet
Love: 1/1 -> 2/2
Power: 0/2 -> 0.5/2

Capella Scarlet
Power: 2/3 -> 3/3
+ Recreational Leave event bonus

Team Green

Malakim-12: LG Quality Optimiser - Increase Love to 2 (use 2 D-rank Phantasm Elements)
+Handler Moral Support
Raven-621: HG Combat Simulator - 30 INVOKER Cycles (3000EC)

Malakim-12
Love: 0/1 -> 1.5/2

Raven-621
INVOKER: 2/3 -> 3/3 (0/30 -> 30/30)
Harmony: 2.5/3 -> 3/3

Team Gunmetal Rose

Daybreak: Rest
Tule Vankrels: Rest

Daybreak
Harmony : 2/3 -> 3/3
Love : 1/2 -> 2/2

Tule Vankrels
Harmony : 1/2 -> 2/2
Harmony : 1/3 -> 2/3

BUILD ORDERS

Newly built facilities and upgrades will be available next Downtime

Team Scarlet Rose:
ARM Delivery: PN-2079 STRIKER (12000EC)

Team Green:
LG Decontamination Sphere -> MG Decontamination Sphere (2000EC)
LG Decontamination Sphere (1000EC)

Team Gunmetal Rose:
Basic Canteen -> Decent Canteen  (2000EC)
Basic Recreation Room -> Decent Recreation Room (2000EC)
LG Surgical Unit (1000EC)
LG Incubator Pod (1000EC)
LG Harmonisation Chamber (1000EC)
LG Mending Room (1000EC)
LG Decontamination Sphere (1000EC)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2024, 12:27:21 pm by Nakéen »

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: September 16, 2024, 11:40:39 pm »

Year 450 Cycle 4 - End of Cycle Balance

Team Scarlet Rose:
Start: 10700EC
+12000EC: Mission Reward
-700EC: Facilities Maintenance
-12000EC: new ARM Delivery
Final: 11400EC oops
Final: 10000EC

Team Green:
Start: 9950EC
+7000EC: Mission Reward
-650EC: Facilities Maintenance
-3000EC: Training Cycles
-2000EC: MG Decontamination Sphere
-1000EC: LG Decontamination Sphere
Final: 10300EC

Team Gunmetal Rose:
Start: 11400EC
+7000EC: Mission Reward
-400EC: Facilities Maintenance
-2000EC: Decent Canteen
-2000EC: Decent Recreation Room
-1000EC: LG Surgical Unit
-1000EC: LG Incubator Pod
-1000EC: LG Harmonisation Chamber
-1000EC: LG Mending Room
-1000EC: LG Decontamination Sphere
Final: 9000EC

Year 450 Cycle 4 - 4TH DIVISION ARM TEAMS

Team Scarlet Star
Commander: Ray Lanceheart
[Baretta Scarlet] GZ-2187 INVOKER (Handler: Natashia Argis)
[Capella Scarlet] GY-2296 DEFENDER (Handler: Johnathon Smith)

Spoiler: Team Budget (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Team Facilities (click to show/hide)

Team Green
Commander: Charles Deer
[Malakim-12] XH-2111 CASTER (Handler: Jocelyn Alabaster)
[Raven-621] AC-2621 CASTER (Handler: Walter)

Spoiler: "Malakim-12" XH-2111 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: "Raven-621" AC-2621 (click to show/hide)

Team Gunmetal Rose
Commander: Aleksei Vasilyevich Belov
[Daybreak] PN-2079 (Handler: Sarah Finch)
[Tule Vankrels] TV-2906 (Handler: Roland Thompson)

Spoiler: "Daybreak" PN-2079 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2024, 12:18:54 am by Nakéen »

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: September 16, 2024, 11:41:31 pm »

(Before the next Missions, there will be a RP moment involving the meeting of the divisions)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: September 17, 2024, 12:30:14 am »

Roland rubs the back of his head in confusion.

“Uh, what are you apologizing for exactly? Did you do something bad?”

He takes the gift and looks it over, waiting for a response before opening it.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: September 17, 2024, 01:03:18 am »

Roland rubs the back of his head in confusion.

“Uh, what are you apologizing for exactly? Did you do something bad?”

He takes the gift and looks it over, waiting for a response before opening it.

Like a spring, Tule Vankrels returned to a normal standing posture with "what?" written all over her face. A swirl of confusion shattered her dam of logic and reason, causing something to break in her head. With some great effort she managed to articulate something.

Tule Vankrels: "Wh? Eh? W-whw-what do you mean what? I-I'm talk- talking about yesterday, when I, you know? W-W-When I flew off the handle in front of you and everyone, and complained about... about this and that! A... a grave offense towards a superior!"

The girl was mortified, and Roland could see her rapidly going through different emotional stages. She seemed to be thinking about a lot of things really fast, it was as if you could see these thoughts flashing up in her eyes.
Tule Vankrels: (N-n-no way, are you telling me it was all in my head? Oh! M-maybe he is joking! Yes he has to be)

She miraculously found a way to keep herself somewhat together, by convincing herself her Handler was making a joke.
Tule Vankrels: "A-Ah I see! You are just pulling my leg! Ahaha, I nearly fell for it, you can drop the act now Handler Roland Thompson!"

Amusing, that was the first time she called you Handler Roland Thompson in full.

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: September 17, 2024, 01:45:55 am »

Handler Walter knew this had been coming, so steels himself. "I won't claim to have been incredibly close with Handler Jocelyn, or know all her thoughts. However, in the time I worked with her she only ever had good things to say about you, and I find it nearly impossibly for you to be the reason why she left. Quite frankly, I was essential told it was none of my business why she was gone, so I can only assume something that doesn't involve the team happened."

The Handler paused for a moment, then brought a hand up to her shoulder. "Listen 12, you've been an exemplary ARM during your deployment so far. I've been glad that you were Raven's partner, and I'm proud to be your Handler now. As a Handler, I'm not just involved with your mission efficiency, but your feelings and thoughts as an individual as well. You and 621 should never hesitate to come and talk to me with what's on your mind. Even if you think it's a sensitive subject or try to push it down as trivial, I will hear them out without judging you. All of humanity relies on the courage of ARMs, I think it's only fair that you two can rely on me."
.... You've doomed us all. Granted. Everyone except for traps are executed. Random sci-fi nonsense is required to be taught in schools.
A cute intersex harem with everyone in love with the androgynous king and smart and useful enough into pushing the kingdom forward.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: September 17, 2024, 02:02:44 am »

Handler Walter knew this had been coming, so steels himself. "I won't claim to have been incredibly close with Handler Jocelyn, or know all her thoughts. However, in the time I worked with her she only ever had good things to say about you, and I find it nearly impossibly for you to be the reason why she left. Quite frankly, I was essential told it was none of my business why she was gone, so I can only assume something that doesn't involve the team happened."

The Handler paused for a moment, then brought a hand up to her shoulder. "Listen 12, you've been an exemplary ARM during your deployment so far. I've been glad that you were Raven's partner, and I'm proud to be your Handler now. As a Handler, I'm not just involved with your mission efficiency, but your feelings and thoughts as an individual as well. You and 621 should never hesitate to come and talk to me with what's on your mind. Even if you think it's a sensitive subject or try to push it down as trivial, I will hear them out without judging you. All of humanity relies on the courage of ARMs, I think it's only fair that you two can rely on me."

Malakim-12: "Really? I'm glad then... that it wasn't because of me."

When she heard what Walter had to share about Jocelyn, Malakim-12 smiled painfully, her silvery eyes clouded with held back tears. Seeing this, the Handler reminded Malakim-12 of her outstanding performance so far, and reaffirmed that he would be there for her as her Handler. Walter saw her pain and worries slowly drifting away as she started recovering the steel that made her strength.
Malakim-12: "Sorry, I really did worry you. That was unbecoming of me, as an ARM. I must really have looked like a fool, didn't I? Haha... Thank you for your guidance Handler Walter."

Then her eyes lit up as if she recalled something.
Malakim-12: "Ah, that reminds me. I never really did do it properly, did I?"

She took a few step backs, and gave a salute as if she had met the Handler for the first time.
Malakim-12: "ARM Malakim-12. I look forward to working with you, Handler Walter. Please let me rely on you!"

Her silver gaze was sharp once more, and Walter was certain the girl would be fine on that side from now on.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2024, 02:27:38 am by Nakéen »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: September 17, 2024, 02:06:00 am »

"For complaining? Complaining isn't something to apologize for. You probably heard but the Commander approved every request you made.... So if anything you should complain more."

He started opening the box as if to prevent Tule from reclaiming her apology gift.

"A gun? No, the weight is off..."

He pokes at it with his fingers, scratching it with his nail.

"A gun...made of... chocolate? I've never heard any place that sells that."

He scratches it a bit more, putting the chocolate bits in his mouth.

"Its bitter...coffee's flavor really is tenacious. Uh, thanks. You really don't have anything to be sorry for...but this gift seems really, really specific to me so I should accept it anyway. Its very thoughtful of you."

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21