Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 21

Author Topic: ARMs: Artificial Maidens [Recruiting a Handler]  (Read 10843 times)

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ARMs: Artificial Maidens
« Reply #210 on: September 05, 2024, 04:00:48 pm »

Year 450 Cycle 3 - COMPLETED BUILD ORDERS

Team Scarlet Rose:
MG Quality Optimiser

Team Green:
MG Learning Accelerator

Team Gunmetal Rose:
None

Year 450 Cycle 3 - 4TH DIVISION ARM TEAMS

Team Scarlet Star
Commander: Ray Lanceheart
[Baretta Scarlet] GZ-2187 INVOKER (Handler: Natashia Argis)
[Capella Scarlet] GY-2296 DEFENDER (Handler: Johnathon Smith)

Spoiler: Team Budget (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Team Facilities (click to show/hide)

Team Green
Commander: Charles Deer
[Malakim-12] XH-2111 CASTER (Handler: Jocelyn Alabaster)
[Raven-621] AC-2621 CASTER (Handler: Walter)

Spoiler: "Malakim-12" XH-2111 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: "Raven-621" AC-2621 (click to show/hide)

Team Gunmetal Rose
Commander: Aleksei Vasilyevich Belov
[Daybreak] PN-2079 (Handler: Sarah Finch)
[Tule Vankrels] TV-2906 (Handler: Roland Thompson)

Spoiler: "Daybreak" PN-2079 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2024, 01:49:31 am by Nakéen »

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 05, 2024, 04:04:53 pm »

Downtime actions are available.
Build orders can be declared. They will be completed at the end of the next mission, right before downtime.

As a reminder, here are the usual Downtime activities, but you may try something else if you think is appropriate.

Rest: Free
Recreational Leave: Free
Surgical Unit: 500 EC per Wound
Training Session: 100 EC per Training Cycle (or per Progress point earned)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2024, 04:07:54 pm by Nakéen »

VermilionSkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 05, 2024, 04:13:37 pm »

"That mission was rough, so let's take some time to prepare ourselves for the next one, okay?"
Sarah and Daybreak will Rest.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 05, 2024, 04:16:21 pm »

I barely remember how these things work and rereading the OP would be cheating, so if Vermski or Stirk have special requests, let me know. Or anyone else, I guess.

Cmdr. Belov will also take the opportunity to get as much rest as he can, pleased with this more understanding attitude from higher-ups.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 05, 2024, 04:44:00 pm »

“You were trying to rent out our training facility to other teams. If none of them took the offer we will need budget for training.”
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 05, 2024, 04:54:03 pm »

"You might as well make the most of the funds we have and train as much as you want. I'm certainly willing to discuss placing building orders too."

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 05, 2024, 05:03:39 pm »

Use the MG Quality Optimizer to improve Baretta Scarlet's Power to 2.

More health vs the spectre type weak to invoker.
Alternative choice would be improving Love, which gives an additional +2 to Soul while at low health, which makes Invoker and Cleanse better...
« Last Edit: September 05, 2024, 05:06:00 pm by Egan_BW »

VermilionSkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 05, 2024, 05:06:09 pm »

"I'd love to put Daybreak in for training, but unless we can confirm that the other teams will be handling any Corrupter-types, we cannot afford to have maidens this injured."

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 05, 2024, 05:06:27 pm »

“If you insist commander. I’ll get Tule training right away.”

Training Montage:

5 reps Defender

20 reps Striker

5 reps Caster

Total cost: 3000

Roland mentally notes to delegate the building choice to his own subordinate later like he did last time.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 05, 2024, 05:40:04 pm »

(I'm currently off on vacation.  Can I defer my actions to my teammates?)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 05, 2024, 06:08:06 pm »

((Do higher tier optimization facilities always require higher rank shards, or do they use lower tier shards for things a lower tier optimizer could do?))

Use the MG Quality Optimizer to improve Baretta Scarlet's Power to 2.

More health vs the spectre type weak to invoker.
Alternative choice would be improving Love, which gives an additional +2 to Soul while at low health, which makes Invoker and Cleanse better...
"A sound plan. Team Green's would suffice, but that doesn't help unless somebody else wants to use ours.

Might as well pass the other one through a full set of training cycles."
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 05, 2024, 06:25:01 pm »

(I'm currently off on vacation.  Can I defer my actions to my teammates?)
Yep!

You might nominate a temporary replacement.

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 06, 2024, 12:34:33 am »

Walter examines 621's latest readings, he was pleased with her progress in her combative skills, but her low LOVE worried the Handler. However... "You can strip down Phantasmal properties to bare numbers as much as you want, but it's reactivity to it's host's emotional and mental wellbeing are still hard to predict and control at times... people are people after all, even ARMs."

With that, Handler Walter pushes aside the scheduling block for the Quality Optimiser, though not out of eye sight, and instead brings a pen down to start writing up a permission request for recreational leave.

"Things can only get harder from here on, but you've done a good job 621. I can't guarantee that you'll have much opportunities for time to yourself in the future, for both our sakes, enjoy it while you can." He let's out a tired sigh, but continues on unabated.
.... You've doomed us all. Granted. Everyone except for traps are executed. Random sci-fi nonsense is required to be taught in schools.
A cute intersex harem with everyone in love with the androgynous king and smart and useful enough into pushing the kingdom forward.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 09, 2024, 01:08:21 am »

((Do higher tier optimization facilities always require higher rank shards, or do they use lower tier shards for things a lower tier optimizer could do?))

Sorry I missed this. Higher Tier optimization facilities only use higher rank shards when needed, unless you specify so. A Higher Tier facility will use lower tier shards for things a lower tier optimizer could do yes.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 09, 2024, 04:36:10 am »

Year 450 Cycle 3 - Downtime

Team Scarlet Star

Quote from: Downtime Activities
Baretta Scarlet: MG Quality Optimizer - Increase Power to 2 (use 2 D-rank Phantasm Elements)
Capella Scarlet: Rest

Quote from: ARM Report
Baretta Scarlet
Power: 1/1 -> 2/2 (2 D-rank Phantasm Elements consumed)

Capella Scarlet
Love: 1.5/2 -> 2/2

Team Green

Malakim-12: LG Decontamination Sphere
Raven-621: Recreational leave

Malakim-12
Love: -1/1 -> 0/1

Raven-621
Harmony: 2/3 -> 2.5/3

Team Gunmetal Rose

Daybreak: Rest
Tule Vankrels: HG Combat Simulator - 30 mixed Cycles (3000EC)
=> 5 DEFENDER Cycles
=> 20 STRIKER Cycles
=> 5 CASTER Cycles

Daybreak
Love: 1/2 -> 2/2

Tule Vankrels
Harmony: 1/3 -> 1.5/3
STRIKER: 1/6 (0/20) -> 2/6 (0/30)
CASTER: 1/5 (0/20) -> 1/5 (5/20)
DEFENDER: 1/4 (15/20) -> 2/4 (0/30)

BUILD ORDERS

Team Scarlet Rose:
None

Team Green:
None

Team Gunmetal Rose:
None

SKITS

Skit: Quality Optimization

Characters: Baretta Scarlet and Natashia Argis

Baretta and Natashia arrived before what looked like a bunker mixed with a research lab for their scheduled Quality Optimization. Out of all the facilities she had seen and used, this one looked the most ominous for Baretta. She looked incredulously at her Handler with that "Are we at the right place?" expression. With her usual dispassion, Natashia confirmed this was indeed the place.

Sure it didn't look glamorous, but it did its job. And well, Natashia remembered that facilities manipulating Phantasm Elements had additional layers of protection to prevent containment breaches. She kept this info for herself, not feeling like dealing with Baretta's reaction.

They were welcomed by some new hires, technicians and engineers in charge of running the whole thing. Most of them seemed like rookies though, given they had never seen an ARM in the flesh before. What a drag, thought Natashia. As she thought that, a woman in uniform a good one head smaller than her greeted her.

[4th Division Chief Engineer] Adelie Jolly: "Hello, I'm Officer Jolly. You must be Handler Natashia Argis and her ARM Baretta Scarlet? We were expecting you. You may follow me, I will show you to the Optimizer."

The usually talkative Baretta seemed a bit intimidated by the place, staying close to her Handler. After passing a decontamination chamber, they arrived at the Quality Optimizer. It looked like a heavily reinforced and protected surgery room for machines, so clean and bland it could kill creativity. Fortunately the waiting room just before was colourful and comfortable, equipped with enough distractions to pass the time.

[4th Division Chief Engineer] Adelie Jolly: "And here is the newly installed Quality Optimizer. Don't worry Baretta, trust me there will be something amazing when we get to optimizing your Maiden Core."

Baretta Scarlet: "I- I'm not worried! I'm just... intimidated? All the technical stuff goes over my head. What do you mean by amazing?"

The young girl wasn't fond of surprises. These kind of "positive statements" only increased her unease and suspicion. Picking up on that, her Handler clarified the situation. "Please just explain everything. She is not a kid, and she can't stand surprises."

[4th Division Chief Engineer] Adelie Jolly: "Apologies. You will be lying here on that table while we monitor you from this room. What will happen is that the device you see here will manipulate the Phantasm Elements stored in your Maiden Core. This manipulation will generate phantasmal radiations, so no one can enter unless they wear protective equipment. As an added bonus, the bland room will turn very colourful, it's like a festival of an entire spectrum of colours in there. And of course, it's totally painless and shouldn't take more than 5 minutes."

Baretta Scarlet: "Oh that's good. Much better than what I expected."

There wasn't much more chit chat after that, and Baretta entered the sterile room. She looked at Natashia and smiled even though she shouldn't have been able to see through the tinted reinforced glass. The optimization started without an issue, and the optimizer became filled with dancing auroras of a wide spectrum of blue. It lasted for less than five minutes, and it was over. Some medical staff ran a few check on Baretta to make sure everything had gone without a hitch, and then she was allowed to take it off for the day.

She then ran off in a haste to prepare something.

Baretta Scarlet: "See you later Handler Natashia! I gotta hurry or I won't be ready!"

Skit: An extravagant welcome

Characters: Baretta Scarlet, Tule Vankrels, and Roland Thompson

Tule Vankrels felt grateful for being given the chance to train and improve after this mission. Her lackluster performance against the Corrupter left a bad taste in her mouth, and pushing herself to her limits with the training program her handler had prepared would help her clear her mind.

Tule Vankrels: "Thank you for giving me the chance to improve, Handler Thompson!"

The girl trained very earnestly. She had the drive of people who wanted to improve themselves. It was a good drive. During one of his cigarette breaks, Roland noticed one of the ARMs from Team Scarlet Rose running around nearby without her handler. She seemed to be preparing something... a small welcome party of sort if he were to guess. Oh well, better not think too deeply about it. It wasn't his problem, as long as no one popped a party horn next to him. The thought of that made him shiver.

A few hours later, Tule Vankrels cleared her last training cycle. She looked mentally drained, but satisfied. She had found the intense simulations fun and rewarding in a way. After confirming a few more things with her Handler, Tule Vankrels was given free reign on her remaining free time. As she wondered what to do for the remaining day, she noticed her handler had mysteriously vanished.

Baretta Scarlet: "Hi Tule!"

Hearing this familiar voice, Tule reflexively leapt back to avoid getting hugged even though her wounds didn't hurt anymore. It was Baretta Scarlet of Team Scarlet Rose, who had just "ambushed" her right at the entrance of the training facility.

Tule Vankrels: "Oh it's you, Baretta. Can I help you with something?"

Baretta Scarlet: "Actually yes, I have a welcome party organized, but no guest of honor!"

Tule looked at her in disbelief, then at the "WELCOME" banner behind her, and the table filled with desserts, and the drinks, and the- She shook herself awake. Dream or nightmare? Let's hope for the former, she thought.

Tule Vankrels: "D-did you prepare all of that for me?"

Baretta Scarlet: "Yeah! I finished my things early, and I wanted to apologise a bit for the... hug. And give you a warm welcome too! And congratulate you for your first mission!"

With her soft and mature voice contrasting the peppy and energetic one coming from Baretta, Tule was trying to wiggle a way out of this.
Tule Vankrels: "Thank you. I'm a bit embarassed though and I'm not sure if-"

Baretta Scarlet: "By the way, tada! I heard you liked roses, so here are rose flavoured cakes!"

Tule Vankrels: "-if I should... Rose cakes? Can... I try one?"

The girl took a cake with a trembling hand... and took a bite. And lost. The cake was delicious, rose mixed with some sweet citrus and other fruits she couldn't make out. She was melting. Utterly defeated, Tule just slumped in the nearbiest chair with the plate resting on her thighs.

Tule Vankrels: "I am defeated" she muttered.

She spent the rest of the day in the company of Baretta. They talked at length about themselves and their hobbies. From the distance, the two Handlers might have watched over the two girls.

Skit: An elegant afternoon

Characters: Capella Scarlet, Daybreak

There was something on the mind of Capella the past day. The gallant figure in a metallic robe, wielding this way too cool futuristic sword... she was thinking about one of the new ARMs, Daybreak. And right now, she was stalk- coincidentally following her. Fortunately for Capella, her handler had some work to take care off and couldn't interfer- watch over her.

Earlier, Daybreak had received orders to rest. Her earnest reply might have taken her handler aback a little bit. Even during her free time, she had that cool and competent aura.

Daybreak: "Understood. I will make the most of that time to recover and be ready for the next mission."

She spent most of the morning with her Handler, reading a science-fiction thriller book about a crew of engineers aboard a spaceship in crisis. At times they discussed of philosophy a bit, and the nature of Phantasmal entities and the role of ARMs, and more.

Then in the afternoon, they set up some tables and chair outdoor, along with a camo tent in order to have what Daybreak called "an elegant afternoon". In the shade of the tent, Daybreak was brewing some herbal tea, its fragrance bringing a smile to her composed face. From a safe distance, Capella was overwhelmed with admiration, and all of a sudden she realized what she was doing and was overwhelmed with an equal amount of shame.

Capella Scarlet: "Oh no. What am I doing? If handler Johnathon saw me... Eeh... W-what would handler Johnathon say?"

She could hear him laughing, and asking what the hell she was doing. And then maybe encouraging her to go greet Daybreak rather than hide like a stalker.

Capella Scarlet: "O-okay. I can do it. If I can't, I don't think I will be able to look handler Johnathon in the eyes when he comes back... uuuggghh..."

To make amends with herself, Capella summoned her courage and approached Daybreak and her Handler. She was fidgeting, blushing and sweating, and very awkward overall.

Capella Scarlet: "H-Hello Handler Sarah, Daybreak... N-nice weather we are having yes?"

Daybreak: "Hello Capella. Indeed, what an ideal weather for relaxation. You do not seem to be with your Handler today, might we be of assistance?"

Capella Scarlet: "Ah- no no no don't mind me! I was just wondering... IF, and I say IF I am not a bother... might I join you?"

Daybreak looked at her Handler to make sure she wasn't overstepping her bounds by accepting, just in case. Sarah answered with a "no problem" nod.

Daybreak: "That would be my pleasure. Actually I am embarassed to admit I wanted to invite you, but I wasn't sure if you were available."

Capella Scarlet: "Wea-Really? Why would someone as cool as you- Sorry I mean, I'm honored! I actually really, really wanted to talk to you!"

Capella had stars in her eyes, as if she had met her idol. Daybreak was a bit confused sure, but she didn't think much of it. With an elegant allure, she explained her reasons for wanting to meet Capella.

Daybreak: "No really, the honor is mine. I saw how you fought during the mission, you dealt with the Spectre with incredible skill and efficiency, and bravery. In comparison I could only stand there on the sidelines. But well, let's not dwell too much on this. I hope to be able to learn from your experience."

Capella was overwhelmed by what she would later call the "cool aura".
Capella Scarlet: "I'm still very much green haha! It was only our second Spectre mission... I'm not sure if I'm qualified to be a model, ahaha."

Daybreak: "Even more incredible if it was only your second battle against a Spectre. You should be proud. Oh, and please do take a seat. I feel bad having you stand!"

The flustered girl took her up on the offer. Her embarassment gradually disappeared as they talked of little things.

Skit: Fires of Rubicon

Characters: Raven-621, Handler Walter

Raven-621 was not an outdoor girl, but there were still a few things she wanted to do that couldn't be done back at the base. Tugging at her Handler, she asked for a simple thing.

Raven-621: "Handler Walter, I heard there would be a screening of the entire Fires of Rubicon saga. If I am not being a bother, I would love to be able to watch it all."

Fires of Rubicon... that was a series of movies about a mercenary fighting aboard a mecha, fighting for and against corporations in a world under quarantine. It sounded familiar. It might have been the movie where some of his coworkers had said the mercenary's handler looked exactly like him, looks and personality wise.

There was no reason to refuse, and today was the occasion for the girl to indulge. So indulge she could, even if it involved a movie marathon. Even then, Walter was surprised. The movies weren't exactly peaceful ones, the action scenes were praised but the overall movies were quite violent, and full of guns and cold morales. Not things Raven-621 really liked.

Raven-621: "That's true. I do not enjoy these things, both in reality and fiction. But these movies had a special significance for my "big sister", although I can't remember why. I want to see them with my own eyes, and ascertain this feeling."

At the end of the last screening, Raven-621 had tears in her eyes. The end of the saga was tragic, yet hopeful. Important people were gone due to the wheels of fate or their own unwavering convictions and ultimately, those left behind had to move forward. It was a message one could relate to, especially with the Phantasm threat looming over all.

Raven-621: "Heh. I remember why now. My sister loved these movies before disaster struck. She did bad things afterward, which died the movies she loved with blood. That saga was her favorite. I think she always wished she could watch it again, and enjoy it. But I think she was scared. I don't know if she found her salvation."

Raven-621: "Thank you for the day Handler Walter. I think I have gotten closer to finding an answer to some of my worries."

Year 450 Cycle 3 - End of Cycle Balance

Team Scarlet Rose:
Start: 3400EC
+8000EC: Mission Reward
-700EC: Facilities Maintenance
Final: 10700EC

Team Green:
Start: 5600EC
+8000EC: Mission Reward
-3000EC: Training Cycles
-650EC: Facilities Maintenance
Final: 9950EC