Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Best Throwing Weapons  (Read 6848 times)

grendel

Re: Best Throwing Weapons
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2008, 03:34:00 pm »

Since no one's mentioned this one yet, I'd like to add that giant axe blades are a pretty amazing throwing weapon. They're heavy, sure, but they very nearly always sever whatever it is that they hit.

Those of you who like to see numbers and concrete evidence need look no further than the RAW folder. Giant axe blades do an incredible 210 base damage, making them the deadliest of all trap components and weapons.

I threw an adamantine giant axe blade at a dragon and not only did it cut the dragon's upper body in two, it sent the corpse flying backward into a wall and exploded it.   :)

Railick Stonemane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonemane Library
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2008, 07:15:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>
On a slightly different note, giant corpses are strangely effective for close combat.  I don't think I tried throwing him, but smashing people with him was quite entertaining.  I also figured I'd bring the body back to prove to the mayor I'd killed him, as an added bonus.</STRONG>

For some reason this reminds of me Ender's Game, where he kills the giant and comes back later to find that there are people living in its corpse. You could keep the giant in a well traveled place and see if any people start living in it  after it has turned to bones :P

"And call a dog a cow-that don't change the way the thing'll taste!" Bruenor Battlehammer

http://railickstonemane.wordpress.com/
http://stonemane.hostei.com/

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2008, 01:28:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Serondal:
<STRONG>

For some reason this reminds of me Ender's Game, where he kills the giant and comes back later to find that there are people living in its corpse. You could keep the giant in a well traveled place and see if any people start living in it  after it has turned to bones :P</STRONG>

Well, why not retire your adventurer, and start a fortress at the corpse of the giant?  :D

"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2008, 02:25:00 am »

I left it in a ruin somewhere when I found a shiny +<<Iron>>+ to play with, and didn't have any hands free.  I had yet to buy a backpack.

While I was using it it was like a massive baseball bat.  I'd swing at something, and send it careening through the cave tunnels before smashing into a wall and going *Sploit*

puffs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2008, 06:37:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by grendel:
<STRONG>Since no one's mentioned this one yet, I'd like to add that giant axe blades are a pretty amazing throwing weapon. They're heavy, sure, but they very nearly always sever whatever it is that they hit.

Those of you who like to see numbers and concrete evidence need look no further than the RAW folder. Giant axe blades do an incredible 210 base damage, making them the deadliest of all trap components and weapons.

I threw an adamantine giant axe blade at a dragon and not only did it cut the dragon's upper body in two, it sent the corpse flying backward into a wall and exploded it.    :)</STRONG>

Yeah, i had my weaponsmith forge me a masterwork adamantine axe blade.

Adventuring with it got boring though, I killed everything with one hit >_>

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2008, 01:22:00 pm »

I prefer anvils.
quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2008, 01:06:00 am »

I typically like throwing swords.  If my actual combat sword gets stuck in something and I need a weapon I usually try to have a few scimitars handy.  They do good damage when thrown and actually make a small amount of logical sense.

Don't get me wrong, I had plenty of fun slaughtering cave populations dual wielding a fairy and dragonfly, and with a backpack full of vomit, body parts, and kitten leather thongs.  But I usually prefer my weapon choices to make a small amount of sense.   ;)

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 2 [3]