Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Best Throwing Weapons  (Read 6850 times)

Rob Allen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Best Throwing Weapons
« on: December 17, 2007, 03:38:00 pm »

So I figured we could all share our opinions of what things make good throwing weapons.  I'm in a cave infested with ironmen and have found that their heads make nice throwing weapons.  I've also found that thrown arrows do quite a bit of damage, though maybe not as lethal as when fired from a bow.  I have a bowman companion and find that I can "recycle" his arrows this way.

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
Re: Best Throwing Weapons
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 04:09:00 pm »

Considering thrown vomit can break someone's spine, pretty much everything in DF makes a great throwing weapon. I've heard stacks of coins can be deadly.

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 05:16:00 pm »

I'm having my current fortress forge tons of serrated disks so that when I come back in adventure mode he'll be able to play some Extreme Frisbee.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

puffs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 06:44:00 pm »

i've always liked throwing bolts and arrows. it just strikes me as hilarious that a thrown arrow/bolt is more deadly than a shot arrow/bolt if you have a crappy bow :P

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 06:46:00 pm »

butterfly corpses.  Hands down.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 07:01:00 pm »

Severed heads.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

greywolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 07:26:00 pm »

Spears, mostly because they almost always deal mortal wound damage or instakill when hitting enemies in the head or body.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 08:12:00 pm »

I know this isn't quite throwing, but once I beat a kobold to death with his own arm. That's gotta be disgraceful.

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 08:16:00 pm »

I use coins because you can stack em. Trade an ironman statue in for 600 copper coins and all you have to do is hit T->A everytime you want to thow instead of looking for it or flipping to the last page. I can "it explodes in gore" a goblin from 4 tiles away every time, if not break something.
Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.

Hesitris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2007, 12:47:00 am »

Ballista bolts. Insta-kill every time if they hit a core part, and can cause almost immediate death from blood loss if they hit a limb. Make 'em adamantine for extra overpoweredness.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2007, 12:58:00 am »

I remember hearing through a friend about some guy who did just that, made an adamantine ballista bolt and used it in adventure mode.

Supposedly, the thing caused so much damage when thrown, that the enemy creature would explode, sending pieces far and away.  The only remnant left on the square of previous existence was the head.

Tayrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2007, 02:52:00 am »

It might not be the best thing to throw, but I still simply love using vomit as a weapon due to how hilariously satisfying its effectiveness can be. I try to carry some around at all times. Here are just some of the uses I have found for it:

Exploding a bowman:

Decapitation:

And sometimes throwing it can get you even more vomit!

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2007, 06:30:00 am »

Vomit is a renewable source of energy.
Never underestimate the insane power of corporal fluids.

For my part, I always start a fight against something legendary by throwing a <steel>.

MyBeardIsOnFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2007, 06:38:00 am »

In IVAN, you could vomit on enemies in hopes of dissolving them.

In DF, you can throw vomit and rupture someone's spleen.

I'm at a loss for words.

iantspider stands before you!
Giantspider...killed Yourlast Adventurer
Giantspider...killed Yo Momma

Hesitris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2007, 08:50:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>I remember hearing through a friend about some guy who did just that, made an adamantine ballista bolt and used it in adventure mode.

Supposedly, the thing caused so much damage when thrown, that the enemy creature would explode, sending pieces far and away.  The only remnant left on the square of previous existence was the head.</STRONG>

Yeah, that's not an uncommon occurence for my hapless victims. I don't remember who I saw talking about it, but it was probably the same person your friend was talking about; that's where I got the idea. And a brilliant one it was; I finally have a reliable defense against giant cave spiders (granted they don't web me before I see them).

Pages: [1] 2 3