Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pre-release versions?  (Read 523 times)

Urist Mchateselves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pre-release versions?
« on: September 23, 2023, 10:56:04 am »

Are the old pre-release versions of the game (the ones that had treats and wizards in them) still floating around somewhere? Could Bay12 share them if possible?
If you're so sure that you're gonna end up killing all of dwarven civilization, why not make a statue depicting 2147483647 dead dwarves, all of which are burning? Name it something good, like Deaddead the Dead Dead Dead-Dead of Dying. Just put it in the main hall or something, as a grim reminder that they're all gonna die.

Urist Mchateselves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pre-release versions?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2023, 04:32:46 pm »

I’ve found some old movies from 2004 that Toady recorded all the way back, including some footage of actual Treant s being animated by elves!
If you're so sure that you're gonna end up killing all of dwarven civilization, why not make a statue depicting 2147483647 dead dwarves, all of which are burning? Name it something good, like Deaddead the Dead Dead Dead-Dead of Dying. Just put it in the main hall or something, as a grim reminder that they're all gonna die.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2023, 09:20:51 pm »

Were those very old versions ever released publicly?  I started playing after it was updated to support multiple z-levels so I don't have any experience with the old 2D versions, but seems like I read the very old treant stuff was never in a released version of the game.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Urist Mchateselves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2023, 09:50:13 pm »

Unfortunately no. I don’t think they were ever released publicly, which is a bummer because I was really curious about them. At least we still have some old videos of them.