Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Battleship: HMS Invincible (Detonating Magazines for Everyone)  (Read 4040 times)

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Battleship: HMS Invincible (Enemy in Sight)
« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2023, 01:24:07 am »

Take a sip of coffee and light a triumphant cigarette, then look over at the crew of the rangefinder. "Ha ha! Look at those dogs, send my regards to Davy Jones you piss monkies!"

Order the main batteries to range and then ladder fire the Fruant. May as well not change something that's working great.

Then order secondary batteries to fire at will once the destroyers are in range.

Look over at the phone talker and ask if he can't get a corpsman up here to get the pencil out of my leg. Or at least stop the bleeding if it goes horribly.
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

The Canadian kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cat in the Hat demands I hand over my kneecaps
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2023, 01:43:12 am »

Treat man with bandaged midsection.
Peel off bandages, and check and clean wounds.
extract any potential shrapnel
rebandage midsection

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2023, 08:14:09 pm »

\
TURN 10

All the enemy capital ships take their time reloading. There’s a moment of lull as neither side has any loaded cannons. The destroyers beeline for your somewhat injured vessel. The friendly submarine is spotted by the encroaching destroyers!
   Speaking of submarines. One surfaces not but 300 yards away off the port bow! She’s definitely not one of yours. She’s facing perpendicular to the ship and a bit forward. Traveling at about 10 knots.
   The Invincible stops listing to starboard and begins to list to port as her rudder shifts, she slows as she does.

Fire at the Fruant. Contemplate to myself about who named these things. Do this next one with ice instead of fire, just to try it out.

Also, whose job is it to fix this gun? Do we have a GM around here? Verbally give the order to get a GM on that if necessary. I'm too busy shooting.

You bellow out to get that gun fixed, pronto! Luckily, the guns are manned by nothing but GMs, so they get to work fixing it. [1/8]
   The right gun is loaded and you immediately cast some ice magic on it. [8+2=10 Vs 15] The barrel creaks as it cools from the supercooled shell within. A few seconds later, the creaking dies away as the magic fails to keep up and the gun barrel and shell warm up to their normal temp. You fire it at the Fruant Hera. [19+2-4=17 Vs 15] The shell punches through the deck just amid the aft superstructure. Black smoke and steam begin to bellow out from the ragged hole punched through the deck.
   Middle gun makes steady progress in loading.

Spoiler: ENS Chadwick (click to show/hide)

Treat man with bandaged midsection.
Peel off bandages, and check and clean wounds.
extract any potential shrapnel
rebandage midsection

After gathering the man up, he recounts how he was on the deck and was hit by either a machine gun or by a rocket. [1+2=3] In an effort to see the extent of the damage, you peel back the bandages with little regard for what they’re covering. One was really tight. Once you took that off, blood spurted from a knicked artery [1/3]. You quickly stop the blood flow, but its obvious that he’s not doing good. You clean the wound as best you can without bleeding him further. [4+2=6] You see a bit of silver and remove it posthaste. Much to the patient’s dismay, he begins bleeding heavily in another area [2/3]. [16+2=18] You rebandage his torso with no problems. He’ll make it, but he is not going to be a happy camper.

Spoiler: HMSN Johnson (click to show/hide)

Support the guy who knows what he's doing. That seems like the best course of action.

You follow his lead. He determines that the flooding is happening into another compartment. That one is completely flooded out. He leads the whole team up and around to the compartment just forward of the hit. It is indeed flooding. There’s splinter holes in the door, rising water, powder charges, and high voltage wires dangling about.

Spoiler: DCFN Jones (click to show/hide)

Wait for the ammo I brought to be depleted then go and get more.

You kinda stand there and wait for a bit. The firing of #3 gun shakes you a bit, but otherwise there’s really nothing going on. One of the gun crews shouts out: “Oi, Goldie, get your ass on a gun, we got destroyers inbo- HOLY FUCKING SHIT, SUBMARINE SPOTTED!” The first secondary round smacks the water just aft of the sub’s screw.

Spoiler: GMSN Goldstine (click to show/hide)

Take a sip of coffee and light a triumphant cigarette, then look over at the crew of the rangefinder. "Ha ha! Look at those dogs, send my regards to Davy Jones you piss monkies!"

Order the main batteries to range and then ladder fire the Fruant. May as well not change something that's working great.

Then order secondary batteries to fire at will once the destroyers are in range.

Look over at the phone talker and ask if he can't get a corpsman up here to get the pencil out of my leg. Or at least stop the bleeding if it goes horribly.

You celebrate in triumph at the fate of the Alamatsu Hera. You take a swig of your coffee and light up a cigarette. The rest of the rangefinder boys laugh and jest with each other as they, too, celebrate the sinking of the first contact. The laughter is short lived, however, when you order up ladder fire on the Fruant Hera. Having not heard your order, #3 gun fires at will and strikes the vessel in the aft portion, just outboard of the aft superstructure, sending black smoke and some steam billowing out from the ragged penetration. #3 Turret gives the range data for the rest of the guns.
   You give the order to the secondaries, and as you do, you get the report of an enemy submarine that has surfaced not but a couple hundred yards out. The secondaries start opening up. Unlike the primary guns, however, the secondaries don’t hit anything but the water. If it weren’t for gravity, they probably couldn’t have hit the water.

Being that the battle is going well, you send for a corpsman. Luckily, one of the lookouts has first aid training. [20] He doesn’t just remove the pencil, his removal of the foreign object seems to have been ordained by god himself. You fell like a million bucks. Fuck. You feel like you could go toe to toe with a battleship and not die horribly.

Your targets are as follows:
  • Dobrist Hera at 82P Degrees at 30200 Yards
  • Fruant Hera at 86P Degrees at 30000 Yards
  • Alamatsu Hera at 85P Degrees at 29950 Yards (SINKING: 5/5)
  • DD-4 at 96P Degrees at 29430 Yards
  • DD-3 at 80P Degrees at 29255  Yards
  • DD-1 at 85P Degrees at 29050 Yards
  • DD-2 at 104P Degrees at 28830Yards
  • DD-5 at 70P Degrees at 28650 Yards

Spoiler: LTJG Sorn (click to show/hide)

((Would have posted yesterday, but life got in the way.))
« Last Edit: September 26, 2023, 05:20:16 pm by Sosoku234 »
Monster stowage inventory running low. Starting #2 Monster Pump, filling #4 Monster tank, via #2a Demonizer.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2023, 03:28:19 pm »

"Any of you guys happen to be powerful wizards? Or maybe priests? I think we're going to need last rights if we're tackling that room."
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2023, 04:41:10 pm »

Stuck with no working guns full of bullets right this second, Ensign Chadwick takes a moment to ponder to himself: Should he be waiting for orders? That seems inefficient. Especially if he had to check other sections to see if there were any orders. Better to just fire upon his own recognizance until someone tells him to stop, surely. Although, well, there's nothing to fire at the moment regardless.

Feeling that shouting to the underlings to work faster would be rude in this context, he sits and glares at the left gun, trying to divine what needs to be done to fix it so he can pass the message on to the GMs working on it. Once the middle gun is ready, if no order has come down to the contrary, he tries again on the Fruant.

The Canadian kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cat in the Hat demands I hand over my kneecaps
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2023, 10:46:56 pm »

Treat guy with burns
Clean burn wounds
Give some painkillers
Bandage this dude into a mummy

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 27, 2023, 03:58:01 am »

Look and see what gun needs a man and be the man they need!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 27, 2023, 11:06:31 pm »

TURN 11

The enemy capital ships continue their arduous reloads. The next formation of enemy ships appears from behind the island. Only, most of the capital ships appear to have turned and are headed parallel to the Invincible, likely retreating due to the loss of their leading ship. They do fire their aft batteries at the Invincible. The ships are the Etsumi Hera (BB), Haruna Hera (BB), Jutara Hera (BC), and Aurantei Hera (BB).
   Etsumi Hera's shells all splash the water some distance away.
   Haruna Hera scores one hit. It hits the deck above the Fo'c'sle and detonates immediately. It does superficial damage, but otherwise leave the ship fine.
   Jutara Hera scores another hit, this time on the armor of the 1st deck. It also detonates on impact, dealing no damage except to the paint.
   Aurantei Hera's aftmost turret explodes in a massive fireball, all subsequent rounds being sent awry by the force of the blast. One shell is propelled into the extended armor belt below the waterline below the Fo'c'sle. The shell stops, having embedded itself in the armor.
   The encroaching destroyers hold their fire.
   The enemy submarine immediately tries to dive once more.
   [11] The friendly submarine misses the destroyer that is heading its way with a torpedo.

Stuck with no working guns full of bullets right this second, Ensign Chadwick takes a moment to ponder to himself: Should he be waiting for orders? That seems inefficient. Especially if he had to check other sections to see if there were any orders. Better to just fire upon his own recognizance until someone tells him to stop, surely. Although, well, there's nothing to fire at the moment regardless.

Feeling that shouting to the underlings to work faster would be rude in this context, he sits and glares at the left gun, trying to divine what needs to be done to fix it so he can pass the message on to the GMs working on it. Once the middle gun is ready, if no order has come down to the contrary, he tries again on the Fruant.

You ponder as to whether or not you should be waiting for orders. Then again, fortune favors the bold, right? And you did light the enemy ship on fire. Twice. You sit and ponder the inherent moral pros and cons of waiting for orders. You turn your attention to the left gun. A glare crosses your brow. You attempt a casual divination.
   [18+1=19 Vs 13] You gain otherworldly insight into the workings of the gun. You now are aware that the gun's recoil dampeners and elevation gears are jammed. The round's propellent charge is also stuck to the inside. The barrel is slightly out of alignment, but is otherwise fine. You give the news to chief. He has his boys look at those things and they find that you are indeed correct. With the hunting out of the way, they begin emergency repairs on it.
   Middle Gun finishes her reload and once more barks forth her fury. [14+2=16 Vs 15] Middle gun's shell hits the Fruant Hera in the fantail, just forward of her naval jack and above the waterline. It appears to not have done anything.
   Right gun makes a good stride in her reload and will be ready to fire on your next order.

Congratulations! Assuming you survive this engagement, you will be promoted to LTJG! Keep the fighting going, sir!

Spoiler: ENS(LTJG(S)) Chadwick (click to show/hide)

Treat guy with burns
Clean burn wounds
Give some painkillers
Bandage this dude into a mummy

You move on to the burn victim. [4+2=6] You pour salt water onto the burn, causing the man immense pain and worsening the superficial effects of the burns [1/3]. [1+2=Critical Fail] You grab the wrong medication and instead fill the guy's veins with adenosine. His heart instantly stops. He doesn't recover. [17] Luckily, nobody notices that you gave him the wrong medicine. Then again, you don't either until he begins to grow cold to the touch and begins to blue up everywhere. [18+2=20(s)] You apply a liberal amount of bandages and it now looks like he died from his injuries.
   Whoops...

Spoiler: HMSN Johnson (click to show/hide)

"Any of you guys happen to be powerful wizards? Or maybe priests? I think we're going to need last rights if we're tackling that room."

They all respond no, except the man behind you. He begins to pray for your safety. With that, you give direction to the scared engineering sailors who are a part of this team. [15+1=16] The pluggers make serious progress plugging the splinter holes with sawed wood and braces. (1/3) [1+1=Critical Fail] The bracing team doesn't just do poorly in their job, but they actively open more holes than the plugging team just fixed. (0/3) [7+1=8] The electricians are having some difficulties getting the loose wiring under control. (0/3) [14+1=15] Dewatering, unlike the bracing and electrical teams does a good job with getting the flooding under some semblance of control. (1/3). The ammo begins to be passed forward. [16+1=17] Good progress gets made.

Look and see what gun needs a man and be the man they need!

You quickly jump onto the gun just ahead of you. You quickly load the next round. The gun shifts slightly. [11 Vs 11] The gun jolts as it fires. The round slams home in the bow of the sub. Before you can react, the entire front of the sub literally explodes. You appear to have hit a torpedo. The sub sinks below the surface, leaking a thick black oil that sits on the surface. Several seconds later, there's a massive surge of bubbles and oil. One man surfaces and treads water, coughing and sputtering in the oil slicked water.

You sit and wait. Letting the crew take matters into their own hands. Turrets number 1 and 4 load and fire on the Fruant Hera. All shots miss and two guns are disabled by mechanical trouble.
   One plucky secondary manages to sink the enemy sub in one hit. The rest of the secondaries open on the destroyers. 
   [1][1][1] Several guns malfunction, either injuring those using them or damaging the gun.
   [3][3][4][7][7][9][12 Vs 16][14 Vs 18] A large number just straight up miss.
   [19 Vs 18][20 Vs 17][18 Vs 15][17 Vs 14][14 Vs 14][20 Vs 13][13 Vs 11][10 Vs 10][12 Vs 10] The rest do hit the destroyers.
   Two hit the DD3, one amidships just below the waterline and the other hits just below the forward gun. A massive gout of steam gushes from the engineroom amidships. The forward smokestack starts belching black smoke and flames. The forward battery goes up as the ammo in the forward magazine detonates. It takes the majority of the ship's Bow off and heavily damages the superstructure. She begins to sink.
   Two hit DD2, one just outboard of her forward battery, and the other hits the Fo'c'sle. Smoke rises from the hit to her forward battery.
   Three hit DD5, one in her Fo'c'sle at the waterline, the other two just under her aft battery.
   Two hit DD4, one amidships in her superstructure and the other detonating on the deck outboard of her forward battery.

• Dobrist Hera at 82P Degrees at 29800 Yards
  • Fruant Hera at 86P Degrees at 29500 Yards
  • Alamatsu Hera at 85P Degrees at 29450 Yards (SINKING: 4/5)
  • DD-4 at 96P Degrees at 28930 Yards
  • DD-3 at 80P Degrees at 28755  Yards (SINKING: 5/5)
  • DD-1 at 85P Degrees at 28550 Yards
  • DD-2 at 104P Degrees at 28330Yards
  • DD-5 at 70P Degrees at 28150 Yards

Monster stowage inventory running low. Starting #2 Monster Pump, filling #4 Monster tank, via #2a Demonizer.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 28, 2023, 03:37:03 am »

Keep manning that gun.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 28, 2023, 04:12:34 pm »

As much as I love taking out the big ships, some of those destroyers are getting awfully close. I'll fire on whichever ship looks like the biggest threat at the moment, and try to put a nice static electric charge on it this time. Upon firing, not while it's in the cannon, we aren't operating railguns here.

...although we could.

ETA: Well, I'll follow any targeting orders that come down now that the bridge is paying attention again.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2023, 06:02:01 am by Maximum Spin »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 30, 2023, 01:30:22 pm »

Politely remind the bracing team that holes in our ship are bad and we should stop making more of them, everyone else can keep on not being incompetent.

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Battleship: HMS Invincible (RIP Alamatsu Hera)
« Reply #71 on: October 02, 2023, 04:02:44 am »

Take a trusty swig of the coffee, a hit of the nicotine, and keep the earlier firing pattern. Main guns on Fruant, secondaries on the destroyers (and any more submarines that appear), and tertiaries (if they exist) fire on the destroyers as well.

Spend most of my effort coordinating the rangefinding team and calling down to gunnery control to increase the accuracy of our fire.
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 06, 2023, 12:39:52 am »

TURN 12

HMS Invincible steams ahead. As she does, the captain aborts the evasive maneuvers and instead sets course for a nearby gathering rain squall. All enemy ships continue on their previous tracks. The retreating capital ships reload more. Fruant Hera sends forth her vicious regards. Three rounds hit. All three detonate. One lands under the aft control tower and detonates on the ship’s belt. Two land just outboard of #1 Turret. A massive explosion rocks the ship as the forward magazine detonates. #1 Turret opens like a tin can as she vents the explosion through her top. What comes out after the explosion is thick black smoke and fire. The ship begins to trim heavily forward as the ocean rushes in to meet the inside of the ship.
   Dobrist Hera fires her guns at Invincible! Two rounds hit. One shatters on impact and does no damage. The other one detonates just forward of #3 Turret. #3 Turret is peppered with shrapnel.
   The Destroyers continue their advance. The one chasing the sub drops a small string of depth charges. There’s several explosions.

As much as I love taking out the big ships, some of those destroyers are getting awfully close. I'll fire on whichever ship looks like the biggest threat at the moment, and try to put a nice static electric charge on it this time. Upon firing, not while it's in the cannon, we aren't operating railguns here.

...although we could.

ETA: Well, I'll follow any targeting orders that come down now that the bridge is paying attention again.

You think about how if those destroyers get in torpedo range the ship is likely completely fucked. As you weigh the options, you’re given the order to focus fire on the Fruant Hera. Welp. Decision is made. You maintain your target and fire the right gun. [18+1=19 Vs 13][13+1=14 Vs 12][7+2=9 Vs 10] You concentrate and upon the gun firing, you charge the round as it flies from the barrel. Too bad it just hits water.
   The ship lurches as #1 Magazine detonates. You are fine, but a bit shaken. Then there’s a loud boom just forward and below the turret. [14] You manage to not get hit by shrapnel.
   Left gun makes steady progress in getting fixed. Middle gun makes steady progress in reloading. Right gun readies to start her reload, the GMs sponging her barrel while they wait for the next round to poke up.

Spoiler: ENS(LTJG(S)) Chadwick (click to show/hide)

You are more than mortified by the fact that you just accidentally killed someone. As you contemplate it, the ship lurches as #1 Magazine detonates.You are fine. This is not going to be fun…

Spoiler: HMSN(HM3(S)) Johnson (click to show/hide)

Politely remind the bracing team that holes in our ship are bad and we should stop making more of them, everyone else can keep on not being incompetent.

You chastise the Bracing team for being incompetent buffoons. [13+1=14] Dewatering team makes more progress! The space is now almost dewatered. Though, with the number of splinter holes, that’s not gonna last unless they get plugged LOOKING AT YOU, BRACING TEAM. [7+1=8] Plugging team is unable to force the plugs in for some of the holes, but they are still trying. [8+1=9] Bracing team doesn’t fare much better, but doesn’t fuck up like last time. [1] The designated electrician slips on a bit of seaweed drawn in by the flooding and accidentally touches one of the conductors. He is instantly knocked unconscious. [6] The ammo daisy chain does not progress well.
   [9+2=11] You feel the ship lurch as #1 Magazine detonates. What’s more worrying, though is that there’s an explosion nearby, aft of your current position.

Keep manning that gun.

You continue to man the gun! You fire another round on orders to shoot at the encroaching destroyers. [3+2=5] You miss the shot.
   A loud noise cuts out everything else in existence as #1 Magazine explodes forward of your position. Luckily, you’re still fine. Unluckily, you know every person down there.

Take a trusty swig of the coffee, a hit of the nicotine, and keep the earlier firing pattern. Main guns on Fruant, secondaries on the destroyers (and any more submarines that appear), and tertiaries (if they exist) fire on the destroyers as well.

Spend most of my effort coordinating the rangefinding team and calling down to gunnery control to increase the accuracy of our fire.

You take a hearty swig from your coffee. Refreshing. You take a puff off your cigarettes. Smooth. You order more shots on the Fruant Hera. The only turret to follow this order is #3 Turret, as the rest are reloading all guns. You also order the secondaries to fire upon the destroyers. Only 3 manage to hit anything besides the ocean. Two hit DD-5 one is stopped by the marginal armor on DD-5 and the other shatters on the fantail. One hits DD-1, the shell doing nothing to DD-1 as it shatters.
   #1 Turret explodes as soon as the enemy shells hit it. The top flies into the sky as the ammo down below cooks off where it lay. The turret belches black smoke and fire into the open sky. Immediately, the ship begins to have trim issues as the now dead spaces begin to flood.

• Dobrist Hera at 82P Degrees at 28300 Yards
  • Fruant Hera at 86P Degrees at 28000 Yards
  • Alamatsu Hera at 85P Degrees at 27950 Yards (SINKING: 4/5)
  • DD-4 at 96P Degrees at 27430 Yards
  • DD-3 at 80P Degrees at 27255  Yards (SINKING: 5/5)
  • DD-1 at 85P Degrees at 27050 Yards
  • DD-2 at 104P Degrees at 26830Yards
  • DD-5 at 70P Degrees at 26650 Yards

Quote from: BlackPaladin99

You pass orders along to your subordinates manning the guns. Many of these men would have been on the boarding party, had there been an opportunity, but right now, survival is a must. You are unaffected by #1 Magazine Detonating.

Spoiler: ENS Henderson (click to show/hide)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Battleship: HMS Invincible (RIP Alamatsu Hera)
« Reply #73 on: October 06, 2023, 02:41:15 am »

Try not to think about what happened to the people I know in #1 magazine and focus on reloading and firing the gun.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: Battleship: HMS Invincible (Detonating Magazines for Everyone)
« Reply #74 on: October 06, 2023, 10:11:21 am »

Drag the electrician out of the way, steal his gear and with it his job.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6