Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Battleship: Recruiting thread (6/-) Still open for new enlistees  (Read 1013 times)

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
Battleship: Recruiting thread (6/-) Still open for new enlistees
« on: September 07, 2023, 05:07:33 pm »

Hello everyone. I'm back once more with another attempt at running a game. With my work schedule finally becoming stable(ish), I can finally come back to try to run stuff again.

The mighty warship, HMS Invincible, Largest battleship of this era is cruising off the coast of the Isle of Glastov doing a humanitarian mission alongside HMSS Heather, HMSS Balstoi, HMSS Keurig, and HMSS Langston. Glastov has recently been the epicenter of a large earthquake and tsunami. In the region, there's been reports of Cantolian naval exercises and a growing fleet presence with mounting political tensions between Bratavia (the home empire) and Cantolia. War is imminent.
   Not far from the Isle of Glastov, the rest of 1st fleet is conducting a routine exercise. Among them are the battleships (HMS State, HMS Empire, HMS King Julian, and HMS King Philip), battlecruiser HMS Justiciar, carrier HMS Belleview, heavy cruisers (HMS Haymaker, HMS Whallop, HMS Chop, and HMS Strike), light cruisers (HMS Jacobstown, HMS Halvio, HMS Kersenville, HMS Umtali, HMS Jacinto, and HMS Teczto), several destroyers (I'm not about to name all 30 of them), and several submarines (SS Cuttlefish, SS Stingray, SS Guppy, SS Carp, and SS Beluga). They are not within sight distance. Nobody has invented radio yet, so you are essentially cut off from the rest of the fleet.
   But nobody would dare assault the greatest battleship to have ever been constructed, right? Right?
   Wrong

Technologically, its roughly the 1920s/30s with some caveats. Carriers are relatively established as things countries want and carrier doctrine is improved over the real life counterparts. Most ships are either coal fired or fuel oil fired (as opposed to my last venture with this, where the invincible was nuclear).

Spoiler: ranks vs rates (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ship Image (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ship Layout (click to show/hide)

5/-

Spoiler: Ensign Chadwick (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: HMSN Johnson (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: DCFM Jones (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: GMSN Goldstine (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: LTJG Sorn (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: ENS Henderson (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2023, 12:40:07 am by Sosoku234 »
Monster stowage inventory running low. Starting #2 Monster Pump, filling #4 Monster tank, via #2a Demonizer.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: Battleship: Recruiting thread
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2023, 05:18:41 pm »

It's been a while since the last one, so a little rundown of things like rates and ship areas might be a good idea. I went back and looked at your last thread.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2023, 07:52:32 pm by Maximum Spin »

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
Re: Battleship: Recruiting thread (0/-)
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2023, 05:20:28 pm »

It's been a while since the last one, so a little rundown of things like rates and ship areas might be a good idea. I went back and looked at your last thread.

Can do. I will, however, be making this ship fuel oil powered. I'll ammend the first post right quick with more info.
Monster stowage inventory running low. Starting #2 Monster Pump, filling #4 Monster tank, via #2a Demonizer.

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2023, 06:08:01 pm »

Ship's layout (ish) and rate explanation added. World's technology discussed.

So, since I'm not having the ship being nuclear powered, would you like to be a different rate? Or do you still wish to be an engineer officer? If you stay officer, you will not have a rate.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2023, 07:48:11 pm »

Or do you still wish to be an engineer officer? If you stay officer, you will not have a rate.
Yes, it's very important that Kyle be in charge of something, it's the only thing he's good at. Changed the sheet a bit.

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2023, 08:05:34 pm »

Or do you still wish to be an engineer officer? If you stay officer, you will not have a rate.
Yes, it's very important that Kyle be in charge of something, it's the only thing he's good at. Changed the sheet a bit.

Got it. Added.

The Canadian kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cat in the Hat demands I hand over my kneecaps
    • View Profile
Re: Battleship: Recruiting thread (1/-)
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2023, 09:36:37 pm »

pretty clueless what this is but it looks very interesting!

Also what would be magic in this world?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
Re: Battleship: Recruiting thread (1/-)
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2023, 09:40:37 pm »

pretty clueless what this is but it looks very interesting!

Also what would be magic in this world?

A) You're in.
B) Magic is kinda wonky. You aren't just rolling to perform magic, but to get it right, as well. In the past I used the Net Libram of Random Magic Effects (a pdf of 10000 Magic effects) and just had your "magic" be random until you wanted to cast something again. In this case, you want to do something magical? Roll for it. If you pass the check, you do the thing. You flub it and your minor divination turns into an atomic fireball.
C) When it starts, likely during my lunch break or after work tomorrow, the ship will be attacked on turn 0. My report in the first post was the geopolitical report on the powers that be getting ready to have a major discussion over who controls the world. You are going to be a sailor on the largest battleship ever produced and I am going to kill every single person on it and you're gonna have to save the ship.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2023, 09:43:28 pm by Sosoku234 »

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Battleship: Recruiting thread (2/-)
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2023, 10:15:39 pm »

Ah, this again! I was actually just reading the old thread lately.

Guess I'll try OOD this time.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2023, 06:10:29 pm by Vivalas »
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2023, 11:42:00 pm »

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2023, 05:03:19 am »

The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2023, 06:42:49 am »

Looks good to me.

It's still DC. And I like that you're asleep for the start.

Ah, this again! I was actually just reading the old thread lately.

Guess I'll try OOD this time.

I'll need you to adjust those skills, but otherwise it looks good.

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Battleship: Recruiting thread (4/-)
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2023, 06:10:39 pm »

Modified my skills, are they good now?
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
Re: Battleship: Recruiting thread (4/-)
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2023, 06:18:42 pm »

Modified my skills, are they good now?

Yes! And I'll edit you into the 0th turn right quick

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
Re: Battleship: Recruiting thread (5/-) Still open for new enlistees
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2023, 10:05:46 pm »

I've decided that I'll wait until I have at least four actions before I skip someone. I'll be working on turn while I'm on break/lunch tomorrow.

Also, bump.
Pages: [1] 2