Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Repeated crashes with wine on Linux  (Read 654 times)

elilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Repeated crashes with wine on Linux
« on: September 07, 2023, 03:49:30 am »

Since this isn't a DF bug I can't report it to the bug tracker, but I just wanted to put it online somewhere: I'm experiencing crashes with running the new version on wine/amd64.  This happens both with wine 8 stable and development, and rarely enough that I get a good fortress going on for a few years before the application suddenly quits and takes a season's worth of progress with it.

If there's any other people playing from itch who refuse to use Steam/Proton, I would advise caution.  I will hold my elkbirds and wait until the Linux version is back before commiting to play.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Repeated crashes with wine on Linux
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2023, 07:16:16 pm »

The linux version is available for testing in the beta stream on Steam.  It has worked flawlessly for me.  I could quibble about the *one* issue I found (it doesn't always automatically realise window size changes with my current window manager), but it's a very tiny issue that I doubt it will bother you :-)  Performance is *much* better too.  On my underpowered laptop, I get a good 4 times the graphical frame rate I was getting before at the same CPU usage. Also, it works perfectly under Wayland.

elilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Repeated crashes with wine on Linux
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2023, 07:57:20 am »

Thanks! I don't use Steam, though.  If there's any way to access the Linux beta via itch, I'll be glad to help test it (by playing Dwarf Fortress)