Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: The Survival of The Shellfolk | For the Lauv of God  (Read 8104 times)

The Canadian kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cat in the Hat demands I hand over my kneecaps
    • View Profile
Re: The Survival of The Shellfolk | For the Lauv of God
« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2023, 03:26:03 pm »

Going to edit my actions by dropping the dry meat actions to only gathering water

People, please read previous actions before posting. Shelbie would be cooking with two actions and Mollask would be drying leather with another action. By having two other people trying to dry meat, not only are they drying non existent raw meat, would also be overusing the fireplace as well.

So please read the actions before posting

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2023, 03:46:37 pm »

Going to edit my actions by dropping the dry meat actions to only gathering water

People, please read previous actions before posting. Shelbie would be cooking with two actions and Mollask would be drying leather with another action. By having two other people trying to dry meat, not only are they drying non existent raw meat, would also be overusing the fireplace as well.

So please read the actions before posting

You have one more fireplace. Molloch built a second one. Shelbie cooks twice, Zark and Molloch cook once, and Mollask dries one leather into pelt. 5/6, which is actually one short of cap.

Also, I am writing the turn now. It is too late to change your actions.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2023, 05:35:12 pm »

_/Labour Report\_

Foraging

Gathering Rocks
Mollask: x0
Mu Rex: x0
Molloch the Devourer: x0
Zark the Red: x1
Fish Sugarpants: x0
Shelbie: x0
Walnut: x0

Rocks Gathered= 1

Gathering Water
Molloch the Devourer: x0
Zark the Red: x0
Fish Sugarpants: x1
Shelbie: x1
Walnut: x1

Water Gathered= 9

Hunting Animals (%33 Success Rate)
Mollask: x1 (x)
Mu Rex: x3 (✓)(x)(x)
Molloch the Devourer: x1 (✓)
Zark the Red: x3 (✓)(✓)(x)
Fish Sugarpants: x2 (x)(x)

Meat Hunted= 12
Leather Harvested= 3
Bones Collected= 2

Hunting Plants (%33 Success Rate)
Molloch the Devourer: x1 (✓)
Zark the Red: x0
Fish Sugarpants: x0

Fuel Gathered= 1

Construction and Production

Items Crafted
1 Sharp Stone by Walnut

Buildings Built
1 Fireplace by Molloch the Devourer
1 Primitive Workshop by Mollask
1 Cave Home by Walnut

Meat Dried(4/6)
Once by Molloch the Devourer
Once by Zark the Red
Twice by Shelbie

Meat Dried= 12

Leather Dried(1/2)
Once by Mollask

Leather Dried= 1

The tribe of seven wake up to an overcast sky once more. It is significantly colder than yesterday, and the darkness is now compounded by a thick fog. The air itself feels like water and almost as heavy as it. Shellfolk would normally be comfortable in today's weather, but they know what this particular one means from life experience. It would be good if it was windy. But the air is still. Too still.

The group goes in to drink their daily water, but they unfortunately discover that the amount of water in stock isn't enough to hydrate all seven of them. Two people will have to go by without water for a little while. Shelbie and Walnut sacrifice their water ration. They say that they were going to get water from the shore anyways. They'll get a drink there. As they move to grab two bags, Fish decides to join them and grabs a third. The ones that stayed at the camp cry big, fat, salty tears after their comrades.

Shelbie, Walnut and Fish reach to the shore. The former two drink from the sea directly, and they do not linger around any further. They grab their bags and leave quickly.

While they wait for the three to return with water, Molloch and Zark cook the raw meat leftover from before. It is good thing that they do, a half of it would've gone bad and inedible by the night. Zark revitalises the old fire, and Molloch starts another fire to do so.

The three water gatherers return with 3 full bags of water. They put them in the storage and join the others around the central fire. They all eat their daily meals until they have only one piece of dried meat in stock. Zark's eyes catch a rock that can be fashionable into a tool as he is eating, and it is added into the pile.

They agree that a hunting trip is necessary at this point, and that they would rather have a ready stock of both food and water for tomorrow, so they can focus on more urgent matters. They know the flood will not come this night. It hasn't started to drizzle this morning. That leaves only the tomorrow night for it to happen. The water part is already done. Now, for the actual job...

Everyone except Walnut and Shelbie set out to find prey. Shelbie lazes around and skygazes, while Walnut knaps a sharo rock and carves away another cave home to whoever will claim it first.

The party of five wander far and wide. At first, it is nothing but bubblefish that they fail to catch, but they eventually manage to track and find a lone eightleg. The good news is; it is alone. The bad news is; it is on mast.

A male eightleg in its prime and going through turbopuberty will certainly be hard to take down. But if it can be managed, it is well worth the struggle. The tribe may have no other opportunity. Tomorrow is best spent arranging rooms to get everything and everyone in a closed space, so they need to make sure that this find, and the effort spent to take advantage of it, counts.

First, they need a plan. So they make one.

An eightleg is a hunky chunky living fortress of an animal, with hard skin with many spines, and a thick, dense layer of blubber to protect it. It's kicks can crack rocks, its horn can impale through any flesh and its bite can crush a shell like its mere sandstone.

But, nothing's without weakness. It's legs are short pillars that bear its collosal weight, and even without one of them, the animal loses stable posture. It loves sparkling stuff, and will gravitate towards it. It is not particularly keen sensed, either. These three things can be exploited. And the hunters sure will.

They first position themselves behind the rocks around the animal. Molloch will flicker his light stalk to lure the preybinto a sense of ease. Then, Zark, Fish, Mu and Mollask will go for the front left, front right, back left and back right legs, respectively, while Molloch, being the largest in size, will go for the throat while the eightleg is distracted by the other four. He will, more specifically, go for the artery going to the brain. They shall all synchronise their attacks and inject their venom at the same time window, so that creature will be left with only its middle two pairs of limbs and have its mind clouded by the injection from their combined dosage. Finishing it off will be hatchlings play after that, with a large hole to the artery.

Fish acts first. Zark and Mu see him and also rush in. Mollask runs to his target the last. They inject all of their venom. The animal naturalls reacts and shakes them off. It screams and yells in fear for a few seconds, then turns around in fury. Molloch sees this, and runs in to inject his venom into the bulls throat. He lets go as soon as he is done.

The creature turns around again, with absolute hatred in its eyes. It runs towards Molloch and-

Wait, that's not what's supposed to happen. The venom has a mind numbing effect- Molloch understands why. The abundance of carnal desire the animal has in its vein is somewhat delaying the effect. He has seen this before. The venoms effects will eventually settle, but for now- RUN!

Fish throws a spear at the animals back leg just before it reaches Molloch. The spear pierces the flesh but fails to go through the fat. So eightleg backpedals onto him instead. The resulting hit and kick knocks him backwards and onto a boulder. His face carapace and light stalk are throughly crushed from the hit, and his front brain is somewhat damaged, so he only manages a half hearted stumble before Zark grabs him and hides himself and him behind the same rock he got brain damage from. Mollask turns back a bit too late and a stray leg crushes a few of his tentacles. He sees Mu gesture at him to hide, and so he does.

Molloch had also hidden in the meantime, while Mollask laments over his crushed tentacles. A sickening crack is heard as the stampeding eightleg dislodges and crushes Fish's spear into little splinters of bone.

A minute or so later, the stampede ends. Mu, Molloch and Zark quickly carve a hole on the eightlegs throat, and blood comes gushing out. Then they carve a hole in its belly to put Fish and Mollask in. Mollask eats a few pieces and gets out relieved. while Fish continues to eat even as the other four start and finish their butchering of the finest parts. They can't take the entire corpse, after all.

They end up having to wait for Fish to finish his injury eating. While they wait, Molloch notices a sacktree. It is an old one, almost dying. He takes the rare opportunity and scores an extra.

They pack up and go with 3 four sacks of meat, 3 rolls of leather, 2 bones and a piece of fuel. Fish is still very much brain damaged, and needs rest. So they gently guide him back to camp and goad him to his cave home to sleep early. The carapace and light stalk will regenerate overnight, so is most of his brain injury. But it still won't fully heal for a few days. It is best that Fish doesn't do anything too taxing tomorrow or wanders far. Simple knapping will do.

It is now evening, but it is indistinguishable from night due to the persistent cloud cover.

Mollask notices that a brand new cave home had been dug and call it his before anyone else. He takes it upon himself to construct a workshop in its honor. It is nothing much; two flat rocks arranged into a crude table, but they'll manage. He then smells something awful. He spots the almost rotting pieces of leather a moment later. Nah, it is fully rotten. What would even be the difference, Mollask thinks. Do they smell as "almost" as awful as "fully" rotten leather? Whatever.

He then spots the other three pieces of leather, the fresh ones they got this afternoon.

And in the middle of both stacks is a sole piece of leather. It is not fresh, but it isn't rotting either. Mollask decides to dry it into pelt because why not? It is a simple job. He sees that the first fireplace is already being uses by Shelbie to dry meat. So he goes to the other one and begins his work.

And with that, it becomes the night. Shelbie puts the two bags of meat in the storage. Mollask puts the dried pelt away. The group decides to go to sleep. Molloch and Zark sleep outside while the other sleep in their homes.

_/The Uch-Urum Tribe\_

_/Population\_: 7/5

_/Resources\_
¤ Raw Meat: 6/5 (6 spoils in 2 turns)
¤ Dried Meat: 7/5 (+0 / -7)
¤ Bones: 4/0
¤ Raw Leather: 3/0 (3 spoils in 2 turns)
¤ Pelt: 1/0
¤ Stones: 6/0
¤ Water: 9/5 (+0 / -7)
¤ Fuel: 1/0 (-2)

_/Tools\_
10 Leather Sacks (9 used, 1 available)
6 Bone Spears (6 used, 0  available)
7 Leather Clothes (7 used, 0 available)

_/Buildings\_
2 Fireplaces
1 Storage Caves (15 Storage Total)
5 Cave Homes (5 Housing)
1 Workshops

_/Toolmaking\_
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

_/Construction\_
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Active Warnings
STRONG FLOOD COMING IN 1 TURNS (which means it is coming right after this next one ends. The timers always expire at the very end of a turn.)

Players

Spoiler:  Mollask (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  Mu Rex (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  Molloch the Devourer (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  Zark the Red (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  Fish Sugarpants (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  Shelbie (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  Walnut (click to show/hide)

Fish is brain damaged. He will make a full recovery, but he will only be able to act 2 times the next turn.

Also, a question. Should I include more animal species? I am currently only using the ones in the original canon. But I can just retcon and fanfic stuff in.

What do you say?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 05:50:33 pm by Magmacube_tr »
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 13, 2023, 06:45:33 pm »

Molloch the Devourer:
Knap
Knap
Dig myself a house

The other stone's first come first served. :P

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2023, 06:54:46 pm »

Are we still supposed to have 7 spears? You wrote something about one being destroyed.

Fish Sugarpants
Thing 1: Craft a sharp stone
Thing 2: Craft a Bone Spear
Thing 3: N/A
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Crystalizedmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 13, 2023, 06:58:24 pm »

Mollask
Dig house
Dry leather
Make leather bag
she/her

The Canadian kitten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 13, 2023, 07:11:48 pm »

When I ask people to read, what i meant was that I should learn to read sometimes
whoops

Shelbie
1: Gather Fuel
2:Gather Fuel
3:Gather Fuel

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 13, 2023, 07:21:24 pm »

Are we still supposed to have 7 spears? You wrote something about one being destroyed.

I fixed it.

Also, can you guys answer the question at the end of the last report? I will write according to that.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

The Canadian kitten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 13, 2023, 07:38:47 pm »

perfectly fine with you adding in non canon lifeforms

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 14, 2023, 02:33:57 am »

Walnut
Make sharp stone
Carve storage cave
Gather water
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 14, 2023, 03:28:06 am »

A few questions:

Do I understand correctly that the flood will prevent us from performing any hunting or gathering actions for the turn(s) that it is in effect?

How long will the flood last (is it just one turn)?

Assuming that the answer to that last question is that the flood will last one turn:

Am I correct in assuming that we need 14 dried meat ( 1 dried meat x 2 turns x 7 shellfolk) by the end of this turn?

Do we need to gather water?

What about fuel?

Regardless of the answers to the last three questions:

How much meat is dried by a single meat drying action?

How much water is gathered by a single water gathering action?

Finally, I don’t mind you using non-canon stuff as long as it makes sense in-universe and you provide a proper description of it.  Which brings me to another thing…

I searched the thread that you linked to in a previous post, and I couldn’t find any references to sacktrees.  Could you please provide a link or a detailed description?
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 14, 2023, 03:39:55 am »

Basic math tells me that the answer to both is "three units".

Also, can you guys answer the question at the end of the last report? I will write according to that.
I'm fine with you making up whatever, since you already made these things up in the first place...

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 14, 2023, 04:00:48 am »

Forgot to say that I to am okay with you making up new critters for this game.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 14, 2023, 04:14:38 am »

Basic math tells me that the answer to both is "three units".

That means we need at least two dry meat actions this turn.  That’s assuming one of us is willing to go hungry for a turn.  If not, then we’ll need another meat and a third dry meat action.  That means we’ll also need 3 fuel.  As hunting (both for meat and for fuel only works a third of the time, that means that we need at least three hunt actions and at least six gather fuel actions.  Also, we need two more cave homes…

I don’t think this is looking very good…
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 14, 2023, 04:40:25 am »

I'm not sure why you say we'd need three fuel. Each fireplace uses one fuel a turn, and we have only two.

But yeah, nah, we're pretty screwed. All that remains is to decide whom to eat first.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11