Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Who is your favorite citizen?  (Read 680 times)

Gutierrez

• Bay Watcher
  • Hauling Ash
    • View Profile
Who is your favorite citizen?
« on: September 05, 2023, 12:06:39 am »

Is there a citizen in your current fort that is special to you for some reason?

In my current fort Niya-cat has to be my favorite:

She is a 61 year old cougar woman stalking my fort and looking for romance. She also happens to be a scholar of anatomy.  Younger dwarf men watch out!

« Last Edit: September 05, 2023, 12:31:50 am by Gutierrez »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Who is your favorite citizen?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2023, 06:19:08 pm »

That's hilarious, but she is almost certainly not going to survive long enough to find a partner unless you somehow figure out how to force other cougar men to show up.

My current favorite is the princess of one civilization in the Museum succession game. I stuck her and her husband and 27 children in isolation to protect them from a horrible curse I inflicted upon the population, only to discover a year later that they were part of the royal family, when the queen showed up and listed them as her daughter, and now the only surviving heirs after an unfortunate accident. They're getting along just fine in their isolated fort section, raising 25 kids that aren't even theirs. They had their own tavern, farm and kitchens, workshops, well just in case, a big communal bedroom with fancy furniture, the works. They were in good spirits. The fort has been retired, and hopefully they won't show up and be endangered by another players fort before the kids grow up, but that depends on what civ other players choose... it's the smaller of the three, so imminent death is most likely if it's chosen.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2023, 06:25:58 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2023, 07:07:08 pm »

Stinthad Alathenkos of Bastiongate, a character I know so well that I don't even have to open the save to spell his name correctly. After the military was decimated in a disastrous first siege, the unassuming Stinthad was drafted to replace one of the fallen macedwarves. Taught by one of the only two surviving soldiers, the macedwarf Commander Ast, Stinthad embraced his role with enthusiasm.

30 years later, when Commander Ast finally succumbed to old age, I looked at the profiles of each of my soldiers. I promoted Stinthad, as he had the most kills. It was only later that I learned his past. As a child, Stinthad had been kidnapped by goblins. He managed to escape on his own and return to his family, but it seems the experience gave him a deeply ingrained hatred of goblins. At the time of his selection, he'd killed over a hundred goblins. The number has only risen since then.

Over its 60-year lifespan, an entire nation of goblins extinguished itself against Bastiongate's walls. As the leader of Bastiongate's military, you could say that Stinthad was primarily responsible. Not just for the deaths of the goblins that he himself slew, but the deaths of all those goblins who dared trespass on Bastiongate's soil. It's rare to see a dwarf able to get revenge in such a spectacular fashion.

Goldbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2023, 07:28:34 pm »

I don't get too attached to my dorfs any more. So favorite isn't quite the word, but one I'm pleased to have in my current game was an immigrant with preferences for cages and olive wood, on a map with olive trees. Yes I'll spam cage traps while training up a carpenter, don't mind if I do.

Deduk Rithadil is his name, but I had to go look. And he's got a whole extended family on the map, so evidently a clan moved in over time and I wasn't even really paying attention.