Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Escape from Motel Hell 3 [Community Thread: Turn 3B]  (Read 2873 times)

Strif3

• Bay Watcher
  • The vulture on your shoulder
    • View Profile
Re: Escape from Motel Hell 3 [Community Thread: Turn 1B]
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2023, 03:38:30 am »

You shouldn't have pointed out that the floorboards beneath the boxes are rotten. It should only have been revealed upon examining the boxes, IMO.

Anyway how about this. The players' evil clones are actually imps, disguised as humans. What you guys think?
So, while Finna is messing with the floorboards, one of the other clones points at Finna's clone and enthusiastically affirms that "She's definitely a demon."
Freedom is not a spectrum.
Put me in chains, or stop telling me what to do.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2023, 05:10:06 am »

We should have the badly damaged floor hidden under the broken furniture and the damage flooring under the boxes be a ruse.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2023, 07:06:25 am »

The floor is damaged because of ants.  The first one to disturb the damaged area becomes their friend.  They'll swarm out of the hidden anthill and follow that character around, doing their verbally expressed bidding.

I'll also suggest that there be hidden doors in any of the walls.  If someone brings a candle or other light source towards them, they're easily visible.  Otherwise they'll need to closely examine the walls to find them.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2023, 07:08:02 am by Devastator »

MeimieFan88

• Bay Watcher
  • owoing around~
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2023, 05:56:09 pm »

Turn 2A [Community Phase]

With this update, we have the first set of player actions processed through a dice system. These are tentative results that made sense to me as the narrator, but they may yet be altered or expanded upon in whatever way you guys feel would be most appropriate. Since there are going to be a lot actions/reactions by NPCs who are community-created, I feel like you guys should definitely have a say in how they behave and respond. So feel free to discuss, make changes/additions, or continue along with whatever suggestions you like.

[Community Note: Currently, player action rolls are assigned a d20 roll, with nat 1s being critical failures and nat 20s being critical successes. Attribute bonuses are applied to rolls, adding a random number between 0 and the relevant attribute. These bonuses don't apply to critical failures and successes, since those will automatically be assigned the worst/best outcomes. Note that all of this can be changed with suggestions.]

Acquire broken chair for use as makeshift bludgeon.

Use my incredible charisma to convince my clone to join me. When we get out, we can rule twice as well.

Code: [Select]
d20... 1. Critical failure!
Attribute bonuses negated due to critical failure.

Prince Zopyrus's clone seems appalled at the idea of teaming up, taking a staggering step back as he points brazenly at his peace-proposing counterpart.

"You! You impostor! There is but one true ruler, and it is I!" he spits viciously in anger. "To all witnesses standing before us, let it be known that I am the real Prince Zopyrus, not this pretender!" he declares, making a pose of royal authority.

[I know the clone is supposed to be fake-friendly, but what can ya do with a critical failure on a roll to team up? But yeah if you guys would like any NPCs to respond in a different way, definitely feel free to make the suggestion!]

Excited to meet a new friend, Sora performs a formal bow toward his mirror image, then greets them.

"Pleased to make your acquaintance".

d20... 20. Critical success!
Attribute bonuses negated due to critical success.

The other Sora returns a formal bow in kind, with bubbling enthusiasm to match.

"Likewise, my friend!" he beams, though there is an odd hint of conflict on his face. It almost seems like he wants to admit something, but instead shakes it away with a smile. "A most troubling situation we seem to have found ourselves in..." he muses, glancing around the room with furrowed brows.

[With a critical success roll here, it seems proper for the Sora clone to begin feeling a kindredness towards the real Sora, becoming reluctant to extend his evil murderous urges toward his counterpart. He is still very much looking to betray the rest of the party, but as for Sora himself, the devious clone may have hopes to turn him into an ally.]

Floating sigils form at Fienna's hands ready to attack, but she realizes they're equally victims of the same phenomenon. Notices her "twin". Decides not to attack her, unsure if it's linked to herself temporally or magically and might wound her the same. Paranoia racing in her mind at full force.

Spots the boxes with the labels. Concludes the situation worse than a kidnapping, but a game. Imagines the power of whoever committed this. Frowns. Walks off the Magic Circle, forms a solid-esque sigil under all the boxes and slowly, carefully pulls them away from the rotting floor. Decides in her mind to play along with this sick, twisted joke, Starts making a mental list of the "mastermind"'s possible motives.

d20... 14.
Attribute bonuses applied: +3 (INT).
Total roll: 14 + 3 = 17.

With careful precision, Fienna's transportation spell pulls the precious labeled boxes of goods off the precarious ground, steadily nearer. Soon they are within her reach, as she opens them to find... nothing! The boxes are totally empty, each and every one of them! Indeed, it seems to have been someone's sick, twisted joke all along!

Use my even more incredible charisma to convince all the clones to join me, including Mephi.

d20... 5.
Attribute bonuses applied: +4 (CHA).
Total roll: 5 + 4 = 9.

The clones take note of Gunther's recruitment proposition, seemingly undecided about the offer. Prince Zopyrus's clone seems much more receptive to the idea of joining Gunther rather than sharing in his rule with his twin, as he responds, "I may be amenable to an alliance, so long as you recognize me to be the true Prince Zopyrus!" Meanwhile Sora's clone offers Gunther a nod of courtesy, suggesting that he finds value in cooperation. Fienna's clone however doesn't seem keen to any such ideas, staying far disjointed from the group in icy observation.

As there is mention of demons between Gunther, Mephi, and Sora, Sora's clone soon speaks up, pointing toward the Fienna clone isolating herself in the corner.

"If there are demons among us, she's definitely one! Look at her, there is clear evil in those eyes!" Sora clone steadfastly asserts, as Fienna clone shoots a hostile look back, the wrath underneath her glare continuing to build, though she silently stays her ground.

Current State of the Game:

Spoiler: Community GM Notes (click to show/hide)

You shouldn't have pointed out that the floorboards beneath the boxes are rotten. It should only have been revealed upon examining the boxes, IMO.

Let me know if there are any nuances in how you guys would like things to be handled! I try to just interpret things as objectively as possible, which can be tricky at times. So please forgive any mistakes I make and help to reduce them by pointing out anything that might be inaccurate/improved upon, as well as being clear in your suggestions as you deem appropriate!
Thou art the very love with which I love thee.
Ear teeth

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
Re: Escape from Motel Hell 3 [Community Thread: Turn 2A]
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2023, 06:09:54 pm »

Lets see here...

IF the players don't make any progress next turn, two more imps should awkwardly enter the room. (They were too late to transform into the two remaining party members).

If the boxes are searched a second time, one of them will contain a big jar of pickles that somehow wasn't noticed the first time.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Strif3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2023, 06:11:29 pm »

I do think that (even with the critical failure), Prince Zopyrus's clone's response should be more... dismissive and sarcastic rather than outright hostile.

Also, i've figured out a cool background lore reason for why the imp disguised as Finna is the polar opposite of the others. It is because it is the one who gets bullied and picked on by the other imps constantly. The wimpy dork of the group, so to speak.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2023, 11:25:34 pm »

Every so often the ground should tremble as if from the footsteps of something very big.  The thing that’s causing this is very dangerous and is somewhere outside of the room (but not in the sub basement or sewer).
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

MeimieFan88

• Bay Watcher
  • owoing around~
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2023, 04:00:03 am »

I do think that (even with the critical failure), Prince Zopyrus's clone's response should be more... dismissive and sarcastic rather than outright hostile.

How about this:

Use my incredible charisma to convince my clone to join me. When we get out, we can rule twice as well.

d20... 1. Critical failure!
Attribute bonuses negated due to critical failure.

Prince Zopyrus's clone scoffs at the idea of teaming up, dismissing it with a flippant wave of his hand.

"Ha! There is but one true ruler, and it is I!" he declares smugly, crossing his arms and turning away with his chin held high. "If you should like to serve under me, I may allow it. But a shared rule is most laughable!"

(and later...)

The clones take note of Gunther's recruitment proposition, seemingly undecided about the offer. Prince Zopyrus's clone seems more receptive to the idea of joining Gunther rather than his twin, as he responds, "I may be amenable to an alliance, so long as you recognize the legitimacy of my royal authority!"

(or something along those lines)
Ear teeth

Strif3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2023, 04:05:38 am »

I think this is good. EDIT: This way, all the clones (except for the one) maintain their veneer of outward friendliness.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2023, 04:11:17 am by Strif3 »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2023, 04:17:12 am »

One of the hidden doors should lead to a small room with a toilet and a sink, the only loot in the room should be a partial roll of toilet paper and a plunger.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

The Canadian kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cat in the Hat demands I hand over my kneecaps
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2023, 09:41:24 pm »

At random intervals, say every 1d3 turns spent inside the room. 1 candle gets snuffed out. unlit candles may be relit by still burning ones.

MeimieFan88

• Bay Watcher
  • owoing around~
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2023, 10:39:38 pm »

At random intervals, say every 1d3 turns spent inside the room. 1 candle gets snuffed out. unlit candles may be relit by still burning ones.
* 1d3 roll decided the first candle to be snuffed out in 2 turns.

Turn 2B [Player Phase] is now in progress!

During this time, suggestions can still be made, but keep in mind that players are currently inputting their actions.

Spoiler: Community GM Notes (click to show/hide)

Ear teeth

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
Re: Escape from Motel Hell 3 [Community Thread: Turn 2B]
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2023, 11:43:13 pm »

Hm...

A fly will buzz around one of the player characters. Its just a normal fly that is mildly annoying.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2023, 11:43:59 pm »

Terrible Idea for the next community turn- we creak open a secret door, and lead them into what looks to be some sort of recursive hell- the same room but as though they'd been sealed in it for several years, 8 skeletons in various states of disassembly, a burnt out fire in one corner, the remains of the emergency supplies that supposedly should've been in the previous room- and sticking out from under the *next* secret door over is a sheet of paper, upon it a partial report describing a fictional descent into madness involving 4 pairs of clones locked into a recursive maze, that goes into horrific detail before cutting off just before the first fictional betrayal.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2023, 12:33:01 am by crazyabe »
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2023, 12:43:42 am »

So… how do we want to handle this?:

Not even a salty snack in the box labeled food. Fienna sighed and kicked the nearest box aside.
She glances at the others with disappointment. Futilely chatting amongst themselves over who gets to lead. No help to be expected from other people's end, as is usual for this lonely sorcerer.

The booming starts, and Fienna decides not to wait and see what comes, but there's no discernible exit... except the rotting floor. Fienna hurls wind-cutter magical attacks towards the rotting floor until it breaks open into a gap she could fit through, and then peers into it to check safety.

If safe:
With more wind magic, she whispers at the Fienna clone in the distance
who's being verbally hurled at with conspiracy theories. "Viens ici.", meaning "come here". Then, glowing green sigils appear on her hands and she begins to float downward through the hole.

I was thinking about having the “rotting floorboards” having been just an illusion (with the actual floorboards being just as strong as those in the rest of the room).  Maybe also have something hard and impenetrable beneath them.

Alternatively, Fienna’s actions could just get them into the subbasement (whose ceiling isn’t even tall enough to allow them to stand up) and that would have a connection to the sewer (and spiders… don’t forget the spiders).

Terrible Idea for the next community turn- we creak open a secret door, and lead them into what looks to be some sort of recursive hell- the same room but as though they'd been sealed in it for several years, 8 skeletons in various states of disassembly, a burnt out fire in one corner, the remains of the emergency supplies that supposedly should've been in the previous room- and sticking out from under the *next* secret door over is a sheet of paper, upon it a partial report describing a fictional descent into madness involving 4 pairs of clones locked into a recursive maze, that goes into horrific detail before cutting off just before the first fictional betrayal.

I was trying to scare them into the subbasement/sewer…
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5