Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: TOMB SPIRIT  (Read 4836 times)

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:MODDING:2]
    • View Profile
Re: TOMB SPIRIT
« Reply #75 on: September 10, 2023, 12:35:19 pm »

Ah, okay, scratch that then, we'd need to animate the weapons already in the room, which they'd probably see coming. Not really sure what the best course of action here is, those bandits are so weak the adventurers can likely obliterate them even if they're possessed by long-dead champions.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 10, 2023, 01:40:34 pm »

C - Activate all the enchantments in the banners. Each one having been carefully warded to attract the gaze of everyone in the vicinity, and then ensure they recognise the sovereignty and divinity of the God-King. Onlookers will be driven to supplicate themselves before the banners, dutifully awaiting the God-King's return.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 12, 2023, 11:35:31 am »

Good ideas so far! The bandits fall in a weird middle ground since they are in your power but you are not fully invested in them at this point. So I would allow the animation of the weapons in this case, as the weapons have become, at least somewhat, your things. (But I wouldn’t expect fine control, a rush of pointy weapons is what I would expect.)

If looking for theme ideas, this is the first room leading to the demon treasure that feeds on wishes, so you could go demonic theme, broken wishes, ambition, in addition to conquest and others. Or you could go with falling rocks or something, that’s cool too.
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 12, 2023, 12:11:49 pm »

Hmm... I know.
C: Make those (presumably statues of) kneeling kings get up and start causing mayhem, going after the cleric in particular; however, wait till the adventurers either get close to the dais or get close to the next room's entrance. If we have the power to do so: just for fun, make them yell at the adventurers. Nothing like getting berated by the kings who were totally inanimate a second ago.
The description of the room didn't specify if the circle of kneeling kings was living or statue, but given how everything else here seems to be quite dead (possibly including us) aside from the adventurers, I'd imagine statues.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 12, 2023, 09:43:15 pm »

Hmm... I know.
C: Make those (presumably statues of) kneeling kings get up and start causing mayhem, going after the cleric in particular; however, wait till the adventurers either get close to the dais or get close to the next room's entrance. If we have the power to do so: just for fun, make them yell at the adventurers. Nothing like getting berated by the kings who were totally inanimate a second ago.
The description of the room didn't specify if the circle of kneeling kings was living or statue, but given how everything else here seems to be quite dead (possibly including us) aside from the adventurers, I'd imagine statues.

+1
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 13, 2023, 03:47:58 am »

Hmm... I know.

+1
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 14, 2023, 05:01:49 am »

Hmm... I know.

+1
+1

+1
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 14, 2023, 12:52:25 pm »

Well, if the bandits won’t do anything you’ll have to step in.

(1)

The first statue shivers to life and slowly rises to its feet. The adventurers, distracted by their interrogation of the bandits and the crackle of the fire, don’t notice the statue until it’s too late.

They turn to the sound of heavy footsteps, and barely have to time to react as the statue brings its sword down.

The stone sword doesn’t cut so much as smash it’s way through the dwarve’s head and deep into his chest.

The others cry in terror and rage as the statue tears the sword free and turns to the others.

You weren’t really expecting such an easy kill, you’ll see if the others put up a better fight. You reanimate a few more statues, but you notice that with each statue you animate, the others move slower and slower.

(4)

The Druid shapeshifts into a bear immediately and charges the statue, slamming into it and causing it to topple to the ground. The fighter rushes for the statue, and with a mighty blow shatters its head.

The other animated statues come forward, slowly and grindingly. The bandits flee, though one ,amusingly enough, was pick up by a passing statue and thrown at the bear.

A grinding battle ensured, with the rogue slipping between the statues and distracting them while the Druid turned bear and fighter dealing the heavy blows. However, they take hits in return as well.

The last statue topples, and the rogue deliver the final blow with a climbing pick to the forehead.

Exhausted, grieving and battered, they resolve to carry on in the memory of the fallen companion, to destroy the wicked spirit.

You have little pity for them, you see the greed in their faces as they look at the treasures around them and wonder what lies deeper within.

(1 oh geez)

And so they press on, coming to a long hallway. The fighter takes a wary step forward. The ground trembles, and falls away beneath him. He cries as he falls, and though both rogue and Druid scramble for him as he falls, neither save him as he disappears into the abyss.

The pair look at the hallway, now turned into a nightmarish contortion of stairs, narrow ledges, and gaps.

The Druid turns into a sparrow and dives after the fighter. The rogue waits and studies the treacherous hallway ahead of them.

What complication do you throw in?

A. Mean bats try to knock the “heroes” over.

B. A poisonous gas slowly begins to fill the hallway starting from the door, adding increased urgency to get to the end.

C. Nothing, saves your strength for the next room.

Also:

What is at the bottom of the pit the fighter fell into?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 14, 2023, 01:03:08 pm »

Do we have the option to wait for part of it? I'd like to not throw something in immediately, but if they're doing okay by the halfpoint a distraction might be in order.
As for what the fighter fell into, I'll vote a pit of acid. Not quickly lethal, but quite painful. He'll die if he can't scrabble out, but it'll take him long enough that his companions will have to listen to him yelling.
(The idea is to demoralize his friends - I think it would be more grating on their already stressed selves to hear their companion yelling in pain constantly than it would be to hear a sudden yell and then nothing, as lava might result in.)
I have to agree the adventurers got some bad rolls there, though. Cleric gets suckered by the first statue and then fighter immediately walks right into a pit? No wonder they're on edge already. All the better for us though!

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 14, 2023, 01:05:50 pm »

A
What bottom? The actual magic trick of the room is the gravity - going that way just ejects you out the roof.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 14, 2023, 01:18:19 pm »

At the bottom is a constricting vine that feeds on stress and negative emotion. Most people that fall into it are already feeling such things, and are quickly bound by the creepers waiting to catch them. The vine grips tighter the more the victim fights its fate, devouring these energies for sustenance and leaving an emotionless husk behind. The only escape is a strong composure that keeps a grip on your own thoughts and reactions, thus presenting as no more interesting than a rock.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 14, 2023, 01:26:22 pm »

A
What bottom? The actual magic trick of the room is the gravity - going that way just ejects you out the roof.
+1
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 14, 2023, 08:40:50 pm »

A

But wouldn’t their companions see them disappear into the darkness below only suddenly reappear as they shot up towards the ceiling?
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 14, 2023, 08:42:39 pm »

I honestly wondered whether that referred to shooting from the bottom or being shot from the ceiling of the room downwards like a missile, thus ensuring that one would be stuck in a cycle of accelerating until one reached terminal velocity. Terminal in both senses, here.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 15, 2023, 01:37:21 am »

But wouldn’t their companions see them disappear into the darkness below only suddenly reappear as they shot up towards the ceiling?
No. The entire room is subtly upside-down. The entrance magically twisted so people who started out walking on the floor are now on the ceiling, and falling down the hole shoots you out the roof, where, once you are outside the bounds of the tomb's magic, you keep going up until you run out of momentum and come back down again.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8