Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: TOMB SPIRIT  (Read 4864 times)

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:MODDING:2]
    • View Profile
Re: TOMB SPIRIT
« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2023, 11:54:15 am »

My votes:

Captured bandits: steal their life force. Yes, it's early on, but they seem to be significantly more than half-dead and they probably won't make good minions.
Appearance of actions: automatons. Invisible force is a classic, but so classic that even the adventurers probably recognize it.
Location of "Watch your Step" hall: Second room. This way, we get a chance for them to get overconfident, or potentially even more stressed out. If our 1st room is combat - which I believe it probably should be - and they do well, they'll probably fancy themselves unbeatable, only to get rudely interrupted by a room where not even the steps are guaranteed to be there. If they don't do well, encountering a room specialized for the infliction of anxiety and self-doubt may well make them quit entirely.

(Side note: I'm always interested to see what reasons people come up with for tactics. Who knows, maybe you're a tactical genius compared to me.)
Also, GM: do we know anything about the gods of the setting? That cleric has me a bit worried. The human probably-druid may also be a hassle if she can turn into a flying animal or something. That might bypass our hall entirely.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2023, 11:56:24 am by IncompetentFortressMaker »

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2023, 12:19:42 pm »

Also, GM: do we know anything about the gods of the setting? That cleric has me a bit worried. The human probably-druid may also be a hassle if she can turn into a flying animal or something. That might bypass our hall entirely.

Harzock is the dwarven chief diety, concerned with order and authority and such. Takes a dim view on the undead. You don’t know that much more!

Edit: Also just to note, you will have same amount of freedom as before in the rooms, just predesigned rooms and minions will generally be more powerful.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2023, 12:40:50 pm by chubby2man »
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2023, 01:05:35 pm »

My initial recommendation for the construction flavour: All the building materials growing arms and legs and walking or climbing themselves into place.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 07, 2023, 01:23:38 pm »

My votes:

Captured bandits: steal their life force. Yes, it's early on, but they seem to be significantly more than half-dead and they probably won't make good minions.
Appearance of actions: automatons. Invisible force is a classic, but so classic that even the adventurers probably recognize it.
Location of "Watch your Step" hall: Second room. This way, we get a chance for them to get overconfident, or potentially even more stressed out. If our 1st room is combat - which I believe it probably should be - and they do well, they'll probably fancy themselves unbeatable, only to get rudely interrupted by a room where not even the steps are guaranteed to be there. If they don't do well, encountering a room specialized for the infliction of anxiety and self-doubt may well make them quit entirely.
+1
Plus, it means that if they hit the third room and try to run away, they'll either be slowed down dramatically or be likely to make mistakes trying to get out quickly.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 07, 2023, 01:27:24 pm »

Harzock is the dwarven chief diety, concerned with order and authority and such. Takes a dim view on the undead. You don’t know that much more!
...Are we in fact one of the undead? Given that we inhabit a tomb, I would guess so, but the word "spirit" can refer to plenty of non-undead things too, even if not necessarily in this setting.
If we are, well, that means we have a cleric entering who's determined to obliterate us.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 07, 2023, 02:51:35 pm »

...Are we in fact one of the undead? Given that we inhabit a tomb, I would guess so, but the word "spirit" can refer to plenty of non-undead things too, even if not necessarily in this setting.
If we are, well, that means we have a cleric entering who's determined to obliterate us.

You are not quite sure. You don’t remember much of your past, if you had one. Maybe you are soul of someone who died, the tomb itself given sentience, or maybe even a divine spirit or something sworn to defend the orb.

In any case you will probably want to avoid being smited.
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2023, 03:31:45 pm »

Take their life-force. (see below…)

Have the building materials grow three pairs of insect-like legs and chitter as they skitter into place.

Second room.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2023, 12:51:58 am by A_Curious_Cat »
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 07, 2023, 07:12:24 pm »

Recruit the bandits and put them in the firstroom, pretending to be very normal sane and alive bandits.

Perhaps the adventurers will kill them and then PISS OFF, leaving us in glorious peace.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 07, 2023, 10:08:12 pm »

Recruit the bandits and put them in the firstroom, pretending to be very normal sane and alive bandits.

Perhaps the adventurers will kill them and then PISS OFF, leaving us in glorious peace.
+1
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 08, 2023, 12:52:40 am »

+1

Y’know… this sounds like an excellent idea!

+1
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 08, 2023, 05:48:41 am »

+1

Y’know… this sounds like an excellent idea!

+1
+1

My initial recommendation for the construction flavour: All the building materials growing arms and legs and walking or climbing themselves into place.
+1

Second Room
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 09, 2023, 02:09:04 am »

+1

+1
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 10, 2023, 11:26:35 am »

The adventurers file into a large room , filled with the flags and trophies of kingdoms and cities defeated by the God-King. Pillars of light illuminate each stand. Some bare a flag and a few pieces of armor and weapons, while others have a panoply of treasures and full suits of armor.

In center of the vast room lies a circle of kneeling kings facing a raised dais in which an ever burning flame crackles. Here on the steps of the dais are camped the hsurviving bandits, clustered in their little groups.

(4)

The DEFILERS sneak around the unobservant bandits, and the cloaked figure leaps forward and puts a knife to the throat of one unobservant man. The rest step from the shadows and order the bandits to drop their weapons. After a moments pause, they throw their arms down and put their hands up.

The traitors then quickly explain that an evil spirit has kidnapped them and are keeping them in this room.

Well you hoped for a bit more of a team spirit from them, but they have stayed in your tomb long enough to make use of them…

A:Have the spirits of long dead champions of the defeated nations possess the bandits and attack the adventurers. Which adventurer do they try to take out? (Fighter, rogue, cleric, or the Druid for east reference.)

B: Curse some of the treasure and tempt them somehow to pick it up. How do you persuade them to pick it up?

C: Something else?

« Last Edit: September 10, 2023, 11:50:43 am by chubby2man »

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 10, 2023, 12:05:24 pm »

C: Animate the dropped weapons and make them go for the cleric. (It seems like we'd probably have the ability to do this, given we animated a bunch of statues earlier.)
The adventurers might expect us to play a few tricks, but they probably wouldn't expect the very weapons the bandits just dropped to take on a mind of their own. Plus, the bandits will be gobsmacked.
I'm choosing the cleric because he can probably heal the others, and we don't want that. Same is also probably true of the druid, but the cleric strikes me as more dangerous, especially as he can likely smite things.
EDIT: per feedback from Maximum Spin, scratching this out because I don't think it would work.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2023, 12:35:59 pm by IncompetentFortressMaker »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 10, 2023, 12:32:49 pm »

(It seems like we'd probably have the ability to do this, given we animated a bunch of statues earlier.)
We also learned earlier that we can only animate our things effectively.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8