Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: TOMB SPIRIT  (Read 4867 times)

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
TOMB SPIRIT
« on: August 31, 2023, 11:40:26 am »

You are a Tomb Spirit.

You guard this tomb, in particular. Gold, jewels, and crafts litter the ground all along the sarcophagus, in which lies the great God-King Mardoth.

You are pretty sure that’s not your body in there. A great shining orb lays inserted on top of the sarcophagus, the lock and seal that you are compelled to protect. If it is removed, the God-King will reawaken. Which would be bad.

It’s not too bad a job, all things considered. Better than being the slaves in the murals on the walls.

The complex you reside in is vast, but fallen into disuse and mostly lifeless. You have skeletons and spiders keeping you company.

Time passes , but you are hardly aware of it. You lie dormant, passive. The occasional flicker of memory stirs you, but you are content.

You hardly remember better.

Until one day there was a disturbance at the edge of the complex. A pickaxe tumbled through a side door, and in came 4 ROBBERS AND LOOTERS . Two fearful humans with pickaxes, a towering boastful orc with an axe, and an arrogant elf armed with a wand stride into your statue garden.

The orc braces against a statue and shoves it to the ground. It shatters and the brute laughs.

You (metaphorically) see red. (Everything is rather gray to you. Except the orb, which is blue.)

Filled with unexpected power and purpose  to DESTROY THE DEFILERS (but maybe it would be nice to have some friends), you decide to:

A. Animate a few statues to attack You can pick a target to focus on, otherwise it will go after nearest intruder.

B. Animate all the statues a little bit, allowing them to move when no one is looking at them. Pick a target for them to cluster on.

C. Write in. Can mutate some giant spiders up, reanimate some skeletons. Have the door plead with them to turn around.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
Re: TOMB SPIRIT
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2023, 11:43:11 am »

Is a cave-in workable if we can animate statuery? That seems like something they would be poorly equipped to deal with. Our mission statement isn't protecting integrity of the tomb, our personal feelings about its defilement aside, it's to prevent the god-king from waking up.

C. Try to engineer a cave-in to kill the elf and trap the rest inside.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2023, 11:47:18 am »

Is a cave-in workable if we can animate statuery? That seems like something they would be poorly equipped to deal with. Our mission statement isn't protecting integrity of the tomb, our personal feelings about its defilement aside, it's to prevent the god-king from waking up.

Yes you can! But do you really want to damage your precious tomb-complex?? :-[
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2023, 11:52:39 am »

Yes you can! But do you really want to damage your precious tomb-complex?? :-[
We seem to pretty much be an enslaved spirit that was part brainwashed and part developed fondness due to long residence, so... yes? It does not spark joy.

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2023, 12:00:45 pm »

C. Have the door plead with them to turn around make it really heart felt and sincere Isn't going to work but the thought is absolutely hilarious to me.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2023, 01:48:17 pm »

B, with focus on the orc. Shatter his psyche in revenge for shattering my statue.

The Canadian kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cat in the Hat demands I hand over my kneecaps
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2023, 04:08:36 pm »

B: Focus on the two fearful humans with pickaxes. If we get them to flee or die, they can't take shortcuts presumably by digging in

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2023, 06:17:43 pm »

I wonder what's the limit to our powers?

C: Animate their clothes and armour

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2023, 07:06:01 pm »

B: Focus on the two fearful humans with pickaxes. If we get them to flee or die, they can't take shortcuts presumably by digging in

+1
Plus we get new friends if they go mad! :D

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2023, 12:51:32 am »

D.  Kill the elf.  They might be a healer or a necromancer (which is another kind of healer).  Shoot the medic first!
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2023, 02:12:45 am »

B, with focus on the orc. Shatter his psyche in revenge for shattering my statue.
B.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2023, 03:29:46 am »

B.
+1 B
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2023, 08:56:15 am »

You drift through the assembled statues, imparting a small measure of your power into each one.

In a matter of moments the statues move, all the ones not being looked at shifting towards the orc.

(2)(Adventurers roll d6s with various modifiers)

To the DEFILERS discredit, they do not notice the statues move for several long. One of the humans, the man, cries out and points at the statues, which have already cut off the orca easy escape.

When the statues don’t move again, the elf mutters under their breath and turns back to the door, and just for a moment everyone else’s. The other human glances back behind the orc and screams at the frozen lunging statues inches from the barbarian’s back.

(5)
The orc, horrified for one long second, acts decisively once recovered, slamming his axe into one of the blocking statues. It fractured enough for a shoulder check to send it breaking on the ground. A blast of force from the mage sends the remaining statues in the way tumbling, clearing the path to the door.

Which is when the door happens to open and you blow the torches out with wind.

(3)
They all cry out in the darkness. The elf mage summons a light, but it is too late; the orc is surrounded in a cage of stone arms and legs. He rages against the bonds, but they are too many. The mage watches for a moment before taking a torch, relighting and tossing it to the orc.

“Last as long as you can, Gro-mash.”
With that he curtly commands the humans to bar the door as they walk through, the orc’s curses echoing in their ears.

That went pretty well, in your opinion! Now just the mage and his human servants/slaves. (You’re leaning towards slaves, but you’re not quite sure.)

The remaining LOOTERS enter the Waterfall room, with a thundering stream of water falling past the terrace on which they stand and into a pool a story below. A tasteful mist limits their vision. Meant for meditation, it also happens to conceal dangers from INTRUDERS.

You decide to:
A. Reanimate some skeletons in the ground. They can crawl through the mist and stab the thieves legs.

B. Speak to them through the mist, tell them there is a treasure at the bottom of the waterfall and all they have to do is leap for it. The pool is quite shallow, hopefully one of them falls for your clever deception.

C. There are multiple doors, you could try to separate the group in the mist?

D. Something else? Maybe there is a trap that sends the whole terrace crashing into the water below, or a bunch of bats hanging from the ceiling you can enrage. You could offer the mage secrets of magic if he but serve you, or offer to break the slaves bonds if they turn on their mage master.   (Huh,that gave you deja vu for a second there).

I wonder what's the limit to our powers?

C: Animate their clothes and armour

You give it a shot as the idea comes to you. You see a pickaxe wiggle a bit, the mages belt buckle loosen, but it seems that the items from outside the tomb don’t quite respond to you as readily as those that have resided here. Worth a shot though!

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2023, 09:52:02 am »

D. There are hidden oil dispensers which make the terrace SUPER slippery, which combined with the slight incline of the terrace, has a decent chance of dropping them into the pool below!

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2023, 10:39:40 am »

D. There are hidden oil dispensers which make the terrace SUPER slippery, which combined with the slight incline of the terrace, has a decent chance of dropping them into the pool below!
+A , flameing skeletons for the win
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8