Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18

Author Topic: Founding Families - A Semicompetitive Civ Building Game [Explore IV]  (Read 11107 times)

The Canadian kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cat in the Hat demands I hand over my kneecaps
    • View Profile

Quote from: Major Family
Ghost Farming(1.1): Crystalizedmire, Minor Families
Quote from: Minor voting box
Pit-fired terra-cotta ceramics(1): A_Curious_Cat
Ghost Farming: (2) NUKE9.13, TCk

And I realized I didn't vote either
anyways, pottery cringe

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ghost Farming(2.1): Crystalizedmire, Minor Families
Ghost Farming: (3) NUKE9.13, TCk, Quarque

thanks for bringing this topic back up Cat

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile

Sorry, I've been really distracted. I'd rather have ceramics!
Ghost Farming(2.1): Crystalizedmire, Minor Families
Pit-fired Terra-Cotta ceramics (1): Maximum Spin

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile

sadly dont have time to contribute more meaningfully because my thesis work is imploding my entire brain, but I am happy to see agricultural work in preparation for settling
Ghost Farming(3.1): Crystalizedmire, Powder Miner, Minor Families
Pit-fired Terra-Cotta ceramics (1): Maximum Spin

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Founding Families - A Semicompetitive Civilization Building Game [Explore III]
« Reply #199 on: November 05, 2023, 02:31:39 pm »

Experimentation Phase II: Separation Anxiety (Roll: 2)

Mourning Dew has always maintained a curious property of never drifting out of some invisible, undetectable barrier surrounding every instance of the misty material. The Wardens of the Lake have long interacted with Mourning Dew at this point, but never before had they tried to remove it from the source.

Stone bowls were carefully carved and smoothed, and used by Attuned to gather Dew drifting at the side of the Misty Chamber. The first Attuned to pull Dew from the Chamber noticed the still silence explode into screams of terror and fear piercing into their minds. The Dew and the spirits of the dead Whatever essences of various spirits they extracted were unwilling or unable (or both) to communicate or cooperate with the Attuned in any way. As a result of the violent assault on the minds of the Attuned gathered, most of the removed Dew was returned to the Chamber which silenced it. One bowl remained within the hands of an Attuned, and they were determined to see their task completed.

With the very limited amount of Mourning Dew available in the single bowl, the Attuned decided to bring the offering to the Hairy Lichen in 16-M. The journey was slow, as the Attuned was careful not to lose any of the precious (psychically screaming) Dew. The trip was excessively easy to navigate, but the temptation to cast the Dew aside and flee the endless sounds of terror proved to be a constant presence. Still, the Attuned made journey and baptized the Hairy Lichen Walls with Mourning Dew.

The Hairy Lichen reacted in a wide variety of ways and not all at once. The screaming from the Dew subsided as it soaked into the lichen as if it understood what the Attuned intended, and soft white glow began to spread throughout the growth. While the screaming wasn't there to batter the minds of Attuned, the Hairy Lichen itself seemed to cause a sense of unease deep within their psyche. As time passed and the Attuned made repeated journeys to feed the lichen, it's standard growth patterns dramatically adjusted. Instead of spreading outward, the lichen had begun to creep in one specific direction - toward 17-N. The Dew feedings continued as the creeping hairs continued to travel and wind through tunnels until after a very, very slow journey the cluster stopped outside of the Misty Chamber. From there it returned to a more normal cycle of growth beyond the fact that it needed no further caring for from the Wardens.

The tribesfolk harvesting and utilizing the lichen noticed some of the changes made to the mossy material as it migrated. The fibrous lichen had become tougher and denser, and not only had the people found themselves less and less "satisfied" when eating the increasingly difficult to chew glowing lichen, but they also noticed a strong increase in fear and anxiety when ingesting it up to, in extreme cases, hallucinations involving violent and graphic death. Needless to say, the tribe stopped using the lichen as a source of food. The lichen continues to be useful for rope-making, and the strength it has gained from the changes it incurred in transit has actually improved the quality of the ropes available. The Strong Glowrope produced from Glowing White Lichen provides a source of illumination in the underground requiring much less maintenance (and producing much less smoke) than the admittedly more effective Torchbowls, better identifying routes that rope have been used to cut off, or lighting up pitfalls to see to the bottom, among other uses. Some members of the tribe take to hanging them from lower ceilings to light their homes.

The tribe was predictably angered at the loss of a food source, and what the Wardens had learned of the spirits residing beneath them filled everyone with unease (Quarque -2I). The experiment would not be repeated again until the tribe had considered what they'd learned of the Dew.

As if life hadn't been interesting enough, the bears living at the entrance of the cave got extremely rowdy one day as a small gang from another tribe came into the cave with long pointed sticks while attempting to grab the cubs. This did not go well for them, as a bear had been outside the cave foraging and trapped the other tribals between two walls of angry claws, teeth, and fur. The bears have won the day, but this negative interaction with humans has agitated them. There are increasing concerns that the bears may finally decide to turn inward and check out all the noise and smells the Wardens are producing.

NEW DISCOVERIES
Terrorforming: A very early attempt at agricultural advancement using Mourning Dew sourced from The Misty Chamber. Terrorformed plants will "flee" toward the Misty Chamber with each rapidly breeding generation until they arrive at the Chamber. Rapid breeding results in unstable mutations, with greater distances covered resulting in drastically dramatic and usually outright worse alterations. Terrorformed plants will emit a glow and pass on the strong fear and memories of death held within the Dew (usually when ingested, although other means of transference are possible). The Misty Chamber seems to provide sustenance for Terrorformed plants upon arrival. Requires access to The Misty Chamber, and 1 Mourning Dew for upkeep.

Strong Glowropemaking: A strong, faintly glowing rope made from Glowing White Lichen. Provides low light with low maintenance in addition to the standard uses of a sturdy rope. Requires access to Glowing White Lichen, and 1 Textile for upkeep. Replaces Primitive Ropemaking.

RESOURCES MODIFIED
Cave Bear Family (??) [17-N] -> Agitated Cave Bears (?!) [17-N]
Hairy Lichen Walls (Food+Textile) [16-M] -> Glowing White Lichen (Textile x2) [17-N]

----

It is now the Exploration Phase. You may choose to make a proposal to develop for your people that could aid them in exploration in some way, or you can propose a route to explore. Thanks to Stonebreakers, you may choose to explore up to two tiles. These tiles must neighbor an already explored tile, and must connect to one another as well. Due to Soul-Scouts you may also choose to scout another tile neighboring a previously explored tile independent of any other action you take during the phase. When proposing exploration plans, be sure to include whether or not you will be deploying Soul-Scouts. Remember that diagonal zones are considered neighboring.

Spoiler: The Age of Attunement (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Available Resources (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Resources By Region (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Families (click to show/hide)
TURNTURNTURN
« Last Edit: November 05, 2023, 02:36:29 pm by Man of Paper »

Crystalizedmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

We should probably explore 18L, 17L, and ghostsplore 16L then settle at 18L dew to needing to maintain access to the lake.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2023, 04:52:58 pm by Crystalizedmire »
she/her

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There is something drawn on the map that looks like a grey wall around the 3x3 underground square. I'm not certain if there are underground caves to explore outside of this region. 18-L is outside of it. Trying to settle there below ground might not be possible.

Second point, if we relocate more than 1 square away from our current position we're losing the lignite. The idea behind lignite is that it will still be available once we've settled on the lake.

So what I would suggest is to explore 16-L and 17-L now and ghostsplore 18-L, without relocating. In the next phase (expansion) we can then settle in 17-M.

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I wish to explore 15-L, 15-M, and ghostplore 15-N because the pathway looks nicer, I trust the tetrisman to back me up on this.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile

I DO like the idea of learning more about our inner ring, although that combo of spaces would require us to head back to the Tribal Cavern.

That might be one of the best places for us to settle, though.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

hey look who's back

Quote from: votebox
tetrisman: explore 15-L, 15-M, and ghostplore 15-N (1): Quarque

The Canadian kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cat in the Hat demands I hand over my kneecaps
    • View Profile

Quote from: votebox
tetrisman: explore 15-L, 15-M, and ghostplore 15-N (2): Quarque, TCk

Crystalizedmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Quote from: C Major Family
explore 18L, 17L, and ghostsplore 16L then settle at 18L(1): Crystalizedmire\
tetrisman: explore 15-L, 15-M, and ghostplore 15-N (1): minor families
Quote from: a minor family
[/quote]
she/her

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile

Quote from: C Major Family
explore 18L, 17L, and ghostsplore 16L then settle at 18L(1): Crystalizedmire
tetrisman: explore 15-L, 15-M, and ghostplore 15-N (2.1): minor families, Maximum Spin
Quote from: a minor family
Sure, let's do...
who's the tetrisman anyway?

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

it's M

I trust the tetrisman to back me up on this.

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

it's M

I trust the tetrisman to back me up on this.
No I was referencing a past event with pm with a jocular title, hence why he commented first on it.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18