Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: SQUIRE 2.0  (Read 2381 times)

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
SQUIRE 2.0
« on: August 21, 2023, 09:51:16 am »

**** CAMODORE 84 BASICK V2 ****

READY.
LOAD SQUIRETITLE2

...o&~~ SQUIRE 2 ~~&o...

Your final test for squiredom has been concluded. You have passed the combat challenge and impressed the Knight overseeing your progress. You have passed the test of heraldry and mannerisms, and gained respect of the Lady in charge. You have handled the horse to the satisfaction of Steward judging your performance.

You are fourteen years old.

And now you're a Squire.

But there's still a lot to do before you become a Knight. Or a sell-sword. Or a castle guard. But all that will come later. For now, all you have is your short sword, and your horse, and your pouch of ducats.

What is your name, young man?

>_
« Last Edit: August 21, 2023, 01:40:17 pm by Haspen »
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Crystalizedmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SQUIRE 2.0
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2023, 10:28:17 am »

Griflet
she/her

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2023, 11:47:21 am »

Your name is Griff Let.

It is obvious that your father is Saun Let. He is a succesful but poor noble who managed to live comfortably thanks to his heritage and skill at managing the few villages and forests under his thumb.
Your mother was Marieta Aquarus. She was sixteen when she married your father, and twenty-seven when she died giving birth to your only sister, and youngest sibling.
Your eldest brother, Marius, has died as a Squire at young age of 15, fighting bandits alongside his fellow Squires at the House he was squiring at, a tragic but sadly not uncommon fate for Squires.
Your elder brother, Damin, has dissappeared at age of 18, alongside his best friend, during a voyage to your granduncle living in the northwest, after entering a treacherous mountain pass. No body was ever found but your father has gave up hope long ago.
Your elder sister, Frida, grew up very religious and ultimately, at age 16, joined the convent of nuns dedicated to Blessed Anne. You haven't seen her since her departure.
Your younger sister, Ivonna, is eleven and is growing into a fine young lady with great interest in archery and poetry, but has always been of weak health and more often than not had to stay in bed recuperating from her fever fits. She is not bethrothed to anyone but you are sure she will make your father proud, if she lives long enough to marry.

Truly, a tragic family life like this befits a fine, young squire like yourself.

Your horse is a swift and loyal breed from the westlands. It is chestnut-skinned with mane of the same color.

Currently you serve no one else but King Albrecht VIII on the throne and the God in the Sky. This is what the wise men call 'the Age of Freedom', a period when every young Squire leaves the safety of the castle he was taught this fine profession at, and seeks their own Lord.

Few lucky and able ones end up serving Knights or Lords before being Knighted themselves.

Most become guards for important personages or even royalty, whilst some become ranking officers in the armies of feudal lords. This allows them all to one day to aspire to rank of Knight or even obtain an artistocratic title, if they haven't had one before.

The few lazy, unlucky or unskilled ones will end as common soldiers, or even worse, honorless mercenaries. For a Squire from a noble family like yours, this is a stain on family honor and your father would have a legal reason to disown you for this.

And if you pass your sixteenth birthday without finding a viable career, by the law of the country, you will be fated to become a common soldier as well.

Every Squire has learned lots during their young age. Combat, horse-riding, courtship and all other skills a young Knight might require in his life.

These Skills are going to have an impact when you perform actions, but without anything 'set in stone'.

So for example, a Squire with high Courtship will have easier time wooing ladies, while high Combat will ensure that a mere thug won't murder you horribly.

You have 10 Skill Points to spend. Each Skill can have 4 points maximum allocated at the moment:

Archery (0)
Combat (0)
Courtship (0)
Health (0)
Heraldry (0)
Horse-riding (0)
Theology (0)
Writing&Reading (0)

You can choose 2 special Traits. These provide bonuses to the Skills listed in the previous table and can push them over the 4 point limit.

Adventurer: +1 Archery, +1 Horse-riding
Depraved: +1 Courtship, male-preference
Fighter: +1 Combat, +1 Archery
Healthy: +2 Health
Lecherous: +2 Courtship
Poet: +1 Courtship, +1 Writing&Reading
Religious: +1 Theology, +1 Writing&Reading
Sage: +1 Theology, +1 Heraldry
True Noble: +1 Heraldry, +1 Horse-riding
True Knight: +1 Combat, +1 Horse-riding
Warrior: +2 Combat

Do note that few of these will have special consequences if taken. I'm sure you can guess which ones.
SigFlags!
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Crystalizedmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2023, 01:00:54 pm »

Archery (1)
Combat (3)
Courtship (0)
Health (3)
Heraldry (0)
Horse-riding (2)
Theology (0)
Writing&Reading (1)
Adventurer
True Noble
she/her

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2023, 01:02:04 pm »

Combat (4)
Horse-riding (4)
Archery (2)

Depraved, True Knight

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2023, 02:21:48 pm »

Archery (2)
Combat (1) +1
Courtship (0) +1
Health (2)
Heraldry (1)
Horse-riding (2) +1
Theology (1)
Writing&Reading (1) +1

Poet: +1 Courtship, +1 Writing&Reading
True Knight: +1 Combat, +1 Horse-riding

The Canadian kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cat in the Hat demands I hand over my kneecaps
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2023, 02:25:59 pm »

Combat (4) + 1
Horseriding (3) + 1
Archery (3)
Health (0) +2
Healthy
True Knight

if only depraved can be added on without the courtship bonus as an extra trait

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2023, 03:23:01 pm »

These are all fine and dandy but only one Squire can rule them all, or something :P
SigFlags!

Crystalizedmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2023, 03:40:54 pm »

These are all fine and dandy but only one Squire can rule them all, or something :P
How about everyone votes for one suggestion that is not their own?
I'll start:
Combat (4) + 1
Horseriding (3) + 1
Archery (3)
Health (0) +2
Healthy
True Knight

if only depraved can be added on without the courtship bonus as an extra trait
+1
(fun fact: I'm currently programming a text adventure about being a knight)
she/her

The Canadian kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cat in the Hat demands I hand over my kneecaps
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2023, 04:08:01 pm »

Combat (4)
Horse-riding (4)
Archery (2)

Depraved, True Knight

Then I will +1 this then

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2023, 05:40:23 pm »

I'd prefer this to Elephant Parade's, if mine is unsupported

Archery (1)
Combat (3)
Courtship (0)
Health (3)
Heraldry (0)
Horse-riding (2)
Theology (0)
Writing&Reading (1)
Adventurer
True Noble

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2023, 12:14:15 am »

Archery (1)
Combat (3)
Courtship (0)
Health (3)
Heraldry (0)
Horse-riding (2)
Theology (0)
Writing&Reading (1)
Adventurer
True Noble
+1

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2023, 01:28:21 am »

Archery (1)
Combat (3)
Courtship (0)
Health (3)
Heraldry (0)
Horse-riding (2)
Theology (0)
Writing&Reading (1)
Adventurer
True Noble
+1
+1

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2023, 03:41:09 am »

Archery (1)
Combat (3)
Courtship (0)
Health (3)
Heraldry (0)
Horse-riding (2)
Theology (0)
Writing&Reading (1)
Adventurer
True Noble
+1
+1
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2023, 08:51:01 am »

You're a boisterous Adventurer, yet also a True Noble at heart. You excel in horse-riding, and are able to tame many wild and fierce steeds, whilst waking up potential in the timid and lazy ones. You are quite decent in combat and your health is also good. You have some minor skill in shooting from a bow. However, Abbot Conorius once called you a dim-wit; you are absolutely unlearned in ways of courtship as well as religious psalms. You barely recognize your coat of arms and few others, and your reading skills are that of a child few years younger than you. You once wrote a letter to your father and he was ashamed reading it.

Archery (2)
Combat (3)
Courtship (0)
Health (3)
Heraldry (1)
Horse-riding (4)
Theology (0)
Writing&Reading (1)

Griff Let, you have finally arrived in the city of Marienburg. It is a thriving trading hub in the Highlands, in the southern province of Aken. Albrecht IV once conquered this land, and since then it stayed  under the Crimson Banner.

You are tired from journey, but in good shape otherwise. Your clothing speaks of your status but you wish you could afford the expensive clothes of the noblemen. Your pouch has 27 Ducats and 3 Crowns in it; this should be enough to rent a humble room in an inn and eat three meals a day for the next two weeks or so.

Your are standing at the end of the Gilding Road; behind you is the iron gate amidst the tall walls separating the city from the countryside. To your left and right are various inns, shops and establishments, for the Gilding Road slices right through the Merchant District like a knife through two halves of a bread.

In a city as big as this, there could be plenty of work for you, be it noble or mundane. Few minor noble houses mark Marienburg as their residence, and Sir Elmhead, a stern and unforgiving man, is in charge of the city guard. Sir Andaron, an elderly and unscrupulous man, helps the noble administrator, Baron Dux Thobing, run the city efficiently and prosperously. Or so you are told.

What do you do, freshly arrived Squire?
SigFlags!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4