Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20

Author Topic: SPAMTRADER OF LUSITANIA: Captain Scott Finley!  (Read 9965 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: SPAMTRADER OF LUSITANIA: Captain Scott Finley!
« Reply #150 on: August 22, 2023, 11:09:02 am »

B

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 22, 2023, 11:46:03 am »

B!

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 22, 2023, 12:33:03 pm »

"Go back then! Tell the Zeelanders we shall accompany them!"

"Aye, Captain. Hermann, come with me."

"Of course, sir." And the duo sets off.

They arrive half an hour later, with two other men in tow.

One of them is certainly a captain, as he wears similar suit as yours. Some other man, in plain suit and trousers, is right behind him.

"Captain Finley, this is Captain Ernst Holders, and his Steward, Ian Guider." Captain Holders takes off his hat, as you do, and he shakes your hand vigorously.

"Gegroet, kapitein Finley! Het is mij een genoegen u te ontmoeten."

"Captain Holders does not speak Lusitanian, so I will translate, Captain Finley. Captain Holders greets you and expresses pleasure to have met you. Same goes for me." The Steward says, shaking your hand.

"Vertel hem waar we het eerder over hebben gehad." Captain Holders says a moment later.

"Natuurlijk. Captain Finley, my Captain is pleased that you've extended the offer to sail along with our ship, the Lion, because we've also heard the rumors of the Albionese pirates, those Palmster brothers, and were worried about our mission to Costas. We've been waiting for some good fortune since yesterday and were debating what to do if no other ships go that way."

"I'm pleased to meet your Captain. We were going to sail to Guidea but the circumstances, and the rumors, have pressed us to search for faster and safer way. When my First Mate and my Gunner told me about you, I've decided to follow along." Steward Guider turns to his Captain and translates.

"Kapitein Finley is blij u te ontmoeten. Zijn schip zou naar Guidea varen, maar de dreiging van piraten dwong hem ergens anders heen te gaan. Hij besloot met ons mee te gaan nadat zijn officieren hem over ons hadden verteld."

"Goed, zeg hem dat we morgenochtend vertrekken en dat we de leiding zullen nemen, tenzij hij bezwaren heeft." The Steward nods and turns to you.

"We will be leaving in the morning, and our ship will lead yours, unless you have objections to that, Captain Finley."

"I have none, really."

"Kapitein Finley gaat akkoord met uw plan, kapitein." Captain Holders nods to the words of his Steward.

"Ik ben blij dat te horen. Bedank hem nogmaals en wens hem een fijne avond en nacht. The Steward smiles and nods to that.

"Captain Finley, my Captain once again thanks you for your offer, and wishes you a good evening and a good night."

"Of course, and the same to him."

"Kapitein Finley wenst u hetzelfde, kapitein." Captain Holders nods to that. A round of hat-lifting and hand-shaking between you, your First Mate, your Gunner, and the two Zeelanders follows after, before Captain Holders and his Steward disembark.

4th Midwinter
Early Morning
Copana, Coast of Columbia

In the morning, you rouse the crew to prepare for leaving.

The First Mate directs the Navigator to follow a ship that is setting sails, with the blue-orange flag of Zeelandia fluttering on its middlemast.

Soon, your ship leaves the harbor of Copana and goes out into the Karib Sea!

7th Midwinter
Afternoon
Karib Sea, Far Southeast of Costas

It was going to be another, pleasant, calm day of sailing. Communications with the Lion are sparse, and totally normal and mundane.

Until someone knocked on your door.

"Yes?" The Gunner quickly enters your cabin.

"Communication from the Lion, sir!" You leave your seat and put your hat on, leaving the cabin.

"What is it?" You ask, walking forward to the forecastle of your Ship, where the First Mate and few others are watching the flag- and the torch-waving coming from the other ship.

"Captain, the Lion has spotted two ships to port, on the line of horizon!" The Gunner grits his teeth as you yell orders.

"Topmen! Check for ships to the port side!" The First Mate repeats your orders to the quartet of nearby topmen. One of them takes a telescope from the First Mate, and they all begin to climb the rigging, all the way to the top of the middle mast.

"What do you see!?" The First Mate yells upwards after a while.

"Two ships!! To port! On the horizon line!" The reply comes, confirming the sighting by the Lion.

"What are their flags!?" The First Mate asks and you feel that the air suddenly seems to have gotten much hotter than it was a moment before.

The topmen squint, bring their palms to their eyes, and use the telescope between themselves to be sure they all see the same. Then, one of them yells:

"Black! Black flags! White palms on black! Pirates!! Pirates to port side!!"

"Verdammt!" The Gunner cruses before quickly venturing below deck to prepare the crew for possible confrontation as the sailors yell from the forecastle.

"Captain! Another communication from the Lion! They're changing heading, north-northwest!"

A) "And we do the same! Navigator! Change heading, north-northwest! Quick!"
B) (insert other ideas here?)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2023, 02:47:26 pm by Haspen »
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 22, 2023, 12:57:32 pm »

A.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 22, 2023, 01:27:27 pm »

A - We're sticking together for exactly this reason

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 22, 2023, 02:16:53 pm »

"And we do the same! Navigator! Change heading, north-northwest! Quick!"

"Changing heading, north-northwest, aye sir!" The Navigator turns the steering wheel and the sailors and topmen begin working the decks. Perhaps there's a chance to avoid the pirates.

Unfortunately, the winds and the sea work against you, and the pirates, once small dots upon the horizon, quickly catch up with you. The First Mate scampers from the forecastle.

"Message from the Lion! They're preparing for battle!"

"We can't run anymore! We do the same! Prepare for battle!"

"Aye, sir!!" The First Mate rings the alarm bell to the proper beat. Soon you hear the gun ports being pulled open and cannons pushed into the position as some of the sailors arrive at the top deck with muskets, bullets and gunpowder. You briefly return to your quarters to get your pistol and some gunpowder too. You watch as the Lion shortens the distance to Santa Julia to better provide assistance.

The pirate ships steadily get closer until you hear the dreaded sound:

3 vs 1

Cannons.

The bombardment from the ship in the lead is very ineffective, but some of the cannoballs do splash magnificently very close to Santa Julia's port board.

You hear Gunner Schmidt yell to open fire, and Santa Julia's cannons also send their fiery gifts to the lead pirate ship. These however fail to even get close.

1+1 vs 4+1

The distance is short enough that both pirate ships can shoot against Santa Julia and the Lion.

The pirates' cannons fail once again to reach any of the merchant ships, but your crew scores an early success with their second salvo. You see as the planks, ropes and men alike are exploded into the air after several cannonballs land on the top deck of the first pirate vessel!

1+1 vs 5+1, 4+1 vs 4+1

The exchange of cannon fire continues, and the succesful scores against the first pirate ship keeps it and the other at bay. It's only by the fourth exchange that some balls strike the railings of Santa Julia, graze one of the masts, and smash somewhere below deck, the metallic clang possibly coming from down there. Others fly past, and you see a few sailors being hit and wounded as others hide behind the woodwork and hardened parts of the masts, their muskets and pistols and swords ready for the enemy to come close enough. However, similar damage occurs on the enemy ship as Santa Julia's salvo explodes some of the woodwork.

5+1 vs 2+1, 2+1 vs 6+1

The terrible sound of ripping cloth above you announces the worst news; the pirates' shots, which you barely notice being chained, are damaging the sails. An unlucky topmen yells and crashes onto the top deck near you. Soon your ship will start to slow down and the dreaded aboardage might take place!

But the cannons of Santa Julia and The Lion work fiercely in tandem, and one cannoball from either of the ships scores the biggest hit - it smashes right into the middle mast of the pirate Ship in front, and your crew yells in jubilation as the aforementioned mast tilts and crashes into the fore mast, tangling ropes, pulleys, sails and wooden beams alike, causing that particular ship to rapidly lose speed on the waves.

2 vs 2+1, 3 vs 4+1

As the pirate ship in lead inevitably starts slowing down, the other circles it from the port side and tries to catch up with you.

But the exchange of cannon fire is in your favor - the Lion and Santa Julia having advantage over just one ship of the same draught and load. There are misses and splashes of water.

Then the newest salvo from Santa Julia crashes against the top deck of the second ship now up front, grazing and wounding its crew and damaging its precious rigging and woodwork.

2 vs 1+1

There is less cannonfire now that the other ship is trying to maneuver. You wish for the last salvo to hit the enemy and the enemy suredly wishes for their last cannonballs to hit your deck, but neither wish comes true.

6+1-1

The very last salvo by Santa Julia hits the top deck and the starboard of the ship, further damaging it. Few tense minutes later, that one ship then abandons pursuit of Santa Julia and the Lion and turns to port, no doubt going to approach his equally damaged companion, which is now quite far behind.

The First Mate appears by your side as sailors try to contain their joy and relief at having scared the pirates away, and begin to help the wounded, assess the damage, and clean the mess of the topdecks.

"Captain, communication from the Lion. They're disengaging from the fight, and continuing north-northwest for now." After a moment, the Gunner climbs from the lower deck and wipes some sweat from his brow.

"Herr Kapitan, this was tense. I have some wounded below deck, the surgeon's there. But the pirates! Their ships are damaged and one of them is crippled. By my reckon, if they are truly brothers, they won't abandon each other. We could have a chance! A chance to rid the zee of that scum."

"Bloodlust has gotten to you! Our's a merchantship. We have wounded, our woodwork's pierced. Sails are ripped, look!" The First Mate waves his hand at the most important damage on Santa Julia right now.

"But still! The Zeelanders' ship have suffered the least. With it at our side, we have clear advantage!"

"Madness!" The First Mate yells. "Madness, and bloodlust!"

A) "Madness indeed! We shall leave these pirates and these waters with as much haste as the sails allow. The topmen and carpenters need to fix the damage, and fast."
B) "The Gunner is right! Communicate to the Lion that they're asked to join us in the noble task of sending these pirate ships and their crews to the bottom of the Karib Sea!"
« Last Edit: August 22, 2023, 02:53:40 pm by Haspen »
SigFlags!
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 22, 2023, 03:16:56 pm »

A.
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 22, 2023, 04:25:31 pm »

A - We're a damaged merchantman. It's only worth it if we can capture their captains as proof for collection of a bounty. We are in no state for that.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 22, 2023, 04:42:53 pm »

"Madness indeed! We shall leave these pirates and these waters with as much haste as the sails allow. The topmen and carpenters need to fix the damage, and fast."

"Aye, sir!"

"Right away, sir!" Both the Gunner and the First Mate return to their work, with the Gunner taking few sailors to collect the unused weapons and supplies while the First Mate starts yelling at the sailors and topmen alike.

You return to your cabin, take off your hat, put away your pistol, and sit at your desk. You quickly pull out a bottle of ale and take a sip to calm your nerves.

7th Midwinter
Late Afternoon

The officers enter your cabin and get themselves seated as you look at the Surgeon, who looks especially tired.

"How's the ship, the crew, and the cargo below?"

"Fortunately, no damage to the cargo, sir." The Purser quickly speaks up. "We've been lucky at this front."

"Top and second middle sails were torn. The topmen tried to sew them shut but its hard." Explains the First Mate, and continues with the bad news. "We lost one cannon, and there's quite a lot timberwork to be done. Again, luck blessed us, and the carpenters haven't found any damage below the waterline. They say that they will need a day or two to fix the damage above and below deck, though. I've checked the mast that got hit, but it's secuer and steady."

"Eleven dead, thirteen wounded amongst the sailors, none amongst the officers." The Surgeon says, grimly. "Two sailors were hit quite bad and I am not sure they will survive to port, or even through the night."

"All in all, we were very lucky. Bless the Goddess and all the sea lords."

"Aye." Your officers agree in a chorus.

"And what of the Lion?"

"His crew communicated to us that all is well on board and they had few dead amongst the sailors."

"They got off easy, like I said."

"Hopefully that's the only time during this voyage we stumble upon pirates. Return to your posts. Mister Rio, notify me if any of the sailors under your care pass away of their wounds."

"Of course, Captain." The gathered officers leave your cabin one by one.

7th Midwinter
Before Midnight

Deep in the night, there's knocking on your door, waking you up.

"Yesh?" You stumble from your bed, sitting on the edge.

"It's me, Captain, Surgeon Rio."

"Bad news?"

"Aye, both of the sailors that had the worst wounds have perished."

"Right. Keep the others in good care."

"Of course, sir."

Thirteen dead by the pirates, four missing on the shore, two dead of whatever sickness it was and one perished in a freak accident. That's twenty sailors less on board Santa Julia, and you're not even halfway through.

9th Midwinter
Late Afternoon
Costas, Isle of Costas

Quote from: Damage
Torn Sails:
Some sails on the ship are damaged and the ship was slower than usual, extending the trip by 1 day.

Quote from: Purser's Ledger
Wages:
2 Ducats per Sailor a Day for 130 Sailors over 5 Days from Copana to Costas: 1.300 Ducats

The crew of the Lion is already disembarking on Costas' pier when Santa Julia drops her anchor and the the ropes are thrown for the men at the pier, your officers meet with you.

"Trade, Captain, or the Company Man?" Asks the First Mate.

"It would be gentlemantly to go visit Captain Holders and thank him for the assistance he and his ship provided during the pirate attack. Otherwise, we wouldn't be even here, I think." Says the Gunner.

"We ought to sell the leftover Company Cargo, Captain, for better financial maneuvering." Says the Purser.

"I would like to speak with you, Captain." The Surgeon speaks next. "I've spent quite a lot of herbs and tinctures on the wounded, and I'm wary to set sail with the supplies I have. I would like to buy more at the local market."

"For how much?"

"I wager... four hundred Ducats would be enough to replenish my stores." The First Mate sighs.

"I would also like to check the local taverns and other places for sailors... we've lost twenty crew during this voyage already, Captain. The operations and work on board the ship might suffer for it, especially if some other misfortune takes away more sailors." You scratch your beard at all this.

As for the Surgeon's request...

A) "You can have four hundred."
B) "You can have only two hundred, make the best of them."
C) "You will have to do without extra supplies, I'm sorry to say that."
D) "We will take about this later."

As for the First Mate's recruitment idea...

A) "No, I'm sure we can succeed in our journey despite the losses, at least for now."
B) "Alright, find some men to replenish our losses."

As for the next course of action...

A) "We will pay a visit to the good Captain Holder and his valiant crew. They deserve all the thanks."
B) "Let us visit the Company Man and tell him of our recent misadventure, and to learn from him what Costas has to offer."
C) "To the market! Once we have more money, then we can talk about all your requests."
« Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 12:05:13 am by Haspen »
SigFlags!

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 22, 2023, 04:53:32 pm »

I believe we have 3,418 ducats remaining at present.

It would be foolish to decline the Surgeon's request. Whether we give 200 or 400, I'm not sure. Also worth hiring on more crew I think.

We should definitely meet Captain Holder again though.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 22, 2023, 06:14:57 pm »

D.elay, he can know if he's getting cash for herbs *after* we check with the purser, and the local market to find if we can sell our company goods here, or if there's some Karibs goods that are somehow in demand on this end, that we can dump here for them to sell at a much higher price to some other schmuck.
B. Though losing men is good on the purser's blackened heart, we ought to pick up some spares.
A.
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 23, 2023, 03:42:54 am »

D
B
A
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 23, 2023, 09:54:09 am »

"Mister Rio, we will talk about your supplies later. Mister de Panama, go find some sailors to supplement our crew."

"Aye, sir!" The First Mate goes forth while the Surgeon returns below deck for now.

"Mister Schmidt, you will accompany me to the Lion, I wish to speak and thank the good Captain Holders and his crew for helping us out."

"Right, sir."

You quickly disembark Santa Julia and cross the pier to the shore and onto the other pier, where the Lion is anchored. Some of its crew are busy taking out the cargo to the shore - barrels and sacks of some goods, provisions perhaps. Some officers you don't know are talking with the Captain Holders, and you raise your hand.

"Captain Holders!" The Zeelander officer looks in your direction and raises his hat.

"Kapitein Finley!" He quickly dismisses his officers and walks down the boarding plank. He takes off his hat and shakes your hand.

"Goed u te zien, kapitein." Captain Holders turns to his ship.

"Ian!" It takes few seconds before his Steward perks his head from behind the rails. "Ian, kom hierheen! Ik wil dat je voor mij met de kapitein praat!" Captain's Steward quickly disembarks from the ship.

"Captain Finley, good morning." He shakes your hand, then your Gunner's.

"It was a wonderful battle. Your gun crew did well."

"So did yours."

"Of course, I want to thank your Captain and the entire crew of the Lion for this joint venture. We would be at the bottom of the sea if not you." The Steward turns to his Captain.

"Kapitein Finley betuigt zijn dank aan u en uw bemanning voor uw hulp tijdens het gevecht. Hij zegt dat we de levens van hem en zijn bemanning hebben gered."

"Hij hoeft nergens voor te bedanken." Captain Holders smiles. "Als hij het niet was geweest, hadden wij het kunnen zijn die aangevallen en gedood zouden worden door de piraten, dus dat was eigenlijk niet nodig. Vraag hem ook of hij ergens hulp bij nodig heeft. Ik zag de schade aan zijn schip. Onze matrozen en timmerlieden zouden zijn bemanning kunnen helpen."

"My Captain says you don't need to thank for anything, it could've been very well us if we were sailing alone. He saw the damage done to your ship, and asks whether we can help in any way, especially with repairing the sails or timberwork." The Gunner turns to you.

"Well, our carpenters need a day at the port to replace some boards and the main sail needs to be replaced with a fresh one, Captain. Some extra hands could speed up the repairs, at the very least."

A) "Tell Captain Holders his offer is appreciated, and my crew could use some help repairing the woodwork and replacing the torn sail."
B) "Tell Captain Holders that our main sail needs replacement. Could he spare some cloth and men to replace it?"
C) "The good Captain have already helped enough. His offer of help is appreciated, but not needed."
SigFlags!

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 23, 2023, 10:38:04 am »

A

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 23, 2023, 01:10:25 pm »

A.
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20