Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 37

Author Topic: Supernatural Mafia 11 - Game over! Town victory  (Read 16922 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Supernatural Mafia 11 - Day 1 Begins with the Ancestor's Blessings
« Reply #90 on: August 17, 2023, 01:48:01 pm »

I always start games being (or trying to be) fun and then I get jaded and frustrated. Give it time.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 17, 2023, 02:15:18 pm »

Also Toony broh, you know that someone’s status as a newbie has nothing to do with their alignment. If you’re liking EP and Snowkiller, who are you not liking?
Being a newbie, no. But I find new players say things that are awfully revealing~

TricMagic: HATS!?
"Pointy hats." They nod with agreement.
Hmmm, Tric saying something subtly revealing about his role? Probably a good sign he's town?

@Caz:
So much spunk. So much energy.

How do you feel about Max?

I'm new to this game genre but I don't think I "look" for anything in D1, unless the person slips up and says something sus. It's the first day. I don't know enough about the game in general nor the people in this particular instance to say "yay" or "nay" on lynching. That's why I usually go for no lynch in the critically few mafia games I've been in.
I agree with that.  Lynching on the first day is just a coin-flip, unless someone outright admits to being a mafioso.  Anyone?
This strikes me as a pretty bold thing for sofanthiel to say if they're newb!mafia as opposed to newb!town.

I think it's more likely sofanthiel is town here.

What makes you so sure EP is on your team?
Isn't it odd sofanthiel is "pretty sure" Elephant Parade is town alongside them?

Is this something softanthiel would say as mafia? As a new player? Maybe, but I'm leaning no for now.

Tric, how do you like your role? I don't want to hear any details, I know you want to save those for a dramatic reveal, I just want to know if you like it.
His first post was already revealing though.

@Max and Hector:
I don't really trust either of you. I think it's totally possible you would do this recent banter just now as both mafia.

Elephant Parade and Caz seem to be trying. I'm more on the fence with them because I can see them faking this.

I can't tell if Caz is serious about ending RVS to vote me. If they're serious I think they're absolutely town.

Snowkiller and sofanthiel want to no-lynch, on D1, in a 9 player game. I think they're both town.

I'm not sure about Crystalizedmire as the last newb. They look newb, but I don't have a great sense so far.

Tric popped in and left. I think I agree a little with Max here, what's up Tric?

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 17, 2023, 02:34:30 pm »

@Hector: I'm starting to see what you meant. Also, I don't agree with the logic that leads to me being the best nightkill target and therefore the best lynch target, but I don't think getting into the nitty-gritty of that would be helpful.

Caz, you've spent practically all of your time calling out obviously bad posts for being obviously bad, which is a niche scum can fill as easily as town. What's something running through your head that I, or anyone, might actually disagree with?

People have already gotten on Tric's case for not posting, so I'll ask Crystallizedmire: why haven't you had more to say? You know that if you don't post, it's really hard for anyone to get a read on you, right? Do you still think Hector is suspicious?

MaximumSpin: You hate RVS, but you've spent most of your time joking around. ¿Que? Is it specifically the format you don't like?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 17, 2023, 02:55:37 pm »

MaximumSpin: You hate RVS, but you've spent most of your time joking around. ¿Que? Is it specifically the format you don't like?
What does joking around have to do with RVS? I do that the whole game.

I was going to put something here, but I realized I'm not ready to say anything else yet. I didn't want to let the little bar go to waste, though.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 17, 2023, 03:02:06 pm »

What does joking around have to do with RVS? I do that the whole game.

I was going to put something here, but I realized I'm not ready to say anything else yet. I didn't want to let the little bar go to waste, though.
They both generate lots of low-value (to reads, not entertainment) text. I assumed that was your reason for hating RVS and thought you would dislike excessive joking for the same reason; am I wrong?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 17, 2023, 03:06:55 pm »

@Toony pretty sure Max and I have engaged in this sort of banter as a scum team before. I think it’s NAI for Max though.

@EP to be fair I was mostly voting you to get the game going. I think it worked? Anyway, I don’t think my vote functions well on you anymore.

Let’s sort out some pressure.

CrystallizedMire, I’d like to see some more from you. Who do you think is most likely to be town just now? Who do you think is most likely to be scum? Whose alignment would you most like to figure out?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 17, 2023, 03:08:35 pm »

They both generate lots of low-value (to reads, not entertainment) text. I assumed that was your reason for hating RVS and thought you would dislike excessive joking for the same reason; am I wrong?
I get a lot of value out of banter, as do other people here. Games have been won based mainly on banter.
I hate RVS for being ineffectual.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 17, 2023, 03:14:53 pm »

I get a lot of value out of banter, as do other people here. Games have been won based mainly on banter.
I dunno man. Banter can be useful to see how freaked someone is about being found out, but… well, once certain conditions are met, it becomes a bit ineffectual too.

RVS just takes ages sometimes. You just need to find ways of getting out of it quickly. At least as town, anyway.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 17, 2023, 03:17:26 pm »

I guess that's plausible. None of the games I've read have had someone banter as much and as far into D1 as you, though.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 17, 2023, 03:20:03 pm »

I dunno man. Banter can be useful to see how freaked someone is about being found out, but… well, once certain conditions are met, it becomes a bit ineffectual too.
I think there are important clues about the mental state of players whom I know, too. Like, because of the previous conversation, I'm definitely not interested in lynching ToonyMan today. It's true that banter also has its natural limit, though; I'd say it has reached that limit in this game, which is why I didn't bother continuing the back-and-forth with you or anything.

I agree about finding ways to get out of RVS quickly, of course.

I guess that's plausible. None of the games I've read have had someone banter as much and as far into D1 as you, though.
Sometimes I banter all the way to the end, or even into d2!
I tend to get bored before then, though.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 17, 2023, 03:30:23 pm »

Your unwillingness to continue bantering with me would thus imply you have a stronger read on me than before. Willing to share?

I’d also caution against trusting Toony quite so early in the game. We both know he’s a savvy player, and plays to his wincon come what may.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 17, 2023, 03:32:15 pm »

Your unwillingness to continue bantering with me would thus imply you have a stronger read on me than before. Willing to share?

I’d also caution against trusting Toony quite so early in the game. We both know he’s a savvy player, and plays to his wincon come what may.
I didn't say trust. Give me some credit.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 17, 2023, 03:33:48 pm »

Just seeing if you were paying attention ;)

sofanthiel

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Cod
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 17, 2023, 03:45:56 pm »

I’m assuming you’re claiming town and haven’t just outed yourself and your scum partner EP :p

Hahaha, I sure hope not!  Right, E-to-the-P?

What makes you so sure EP is on your team?

I've got no reason to believe EP is more likely town than the rest of you, but him and I being on the same team is more likely than the alternative since one of the variables is already known.  To be honest, the only explanation for me answering in such an admittedly weird way was because the question itself suggested that EP is mafia, which I don't think is necessarily true.

Eliminating someone on D1 allows the town to choose what information is revealed, and the elimination is also the town’s only weapon against scum. A 2/9 chance of hitting an baddie is better than an 0% chance of hitting a baddie, eh? Otherwise the scum get to choose who to kill, and they’re not going to choose someone that’ll help the town solve the game.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's not just a 0% chance of hitting a baddie; it's also avoiding a 77.7% chance of hitting a townie.  There's a very high probability of getting rid of a possible special role with no solid evidence—well, except for Max's mind-reading ability, that is.  Granted, I haven't done the math, so I don't know what this would entail in the long term or whether there is an optimal strategy here (I'm confident some of you have, though!).

I didn't say it would help, I said it might save your life, because you can flatter the more experienced players by talking up their past exploits so they don't want to kill you. :P

Hey, remember that one time you... figured out it was Quarque?  That was cool, right?  We made such a great team! :D

This strikes me as a pretty bold thing for sofanthiel to say if they're newb!mafia as opposed to newb!town.

I think it's more likely sofanthiel is town here.

I have to agree because that's some sound logic right there!!
I forgot my love of rolling down the hill on the lawn.
I never noticed it until it was gone.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 17, 2023, 03:53:29 pm »

You gotta break some eggs to make an omelette, man. Eliminated townies still win with the rest of us, so you can’t be worrying about hitting them with an elimination.

You also can’t work on statistics. They can be manipulated to make ‘em say what you want ‘em to say. Like justifying sitting on the fence…

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 37