Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 37

Author Topic: Supernatural Mafia 11 - Game over! Town victory  (Read 16904 times)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Supernatural Mafia 11 - Day 1 Begins with the Ancstor's Blessings
« Reply #75 on: August 16, 2023, 07:19:02 pm »

Caz: why shouldn’t we eliminate EP today?

sofanthiel: who do you think EP’s partner is?

Snowkiller: what do you look for in a D1 elimination?

ToonyMan: at what point do you expect to have the game solved?

Crystalizedmire: I’m running out of questions so… I’m not going to ask you one. What are your thoughts regarding this?

TricMagic: HATS!?
"Pointy hats." They nod with agreement.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Supernatural Mafia 11 - Day 1 Begins with the Ancestor's Blessings
« Reply #76 on: August 16, 2023, 08:20:03 pm »

The Scribe's Tally Sheet
Elephant Parade: 1: Hector13
Hector13: 1: Crystalizedmire
ToonyMan: 1: Caz
TricMagic: 1: ToonyMan

Day ends ~5pm Pacific Friday
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 17, 2023, 06:47:46 am »

I'm new to this game genre but I don't think I "look" for anything in D1, unless the person slips up and says something sus. It's the first day. I don't know enough about the game in general nor the people in this particular instance to say "yay" or "nay" on lynching. That's why I usually go for no lynch in the critically few mafia games I've been in.

Yeah... don't do that. The lynch is the only tool the town has to win the game. It provides vital information, whether the flip is scum or not. No lynching is only for specific circumstances where it would be beneficial such as there being 4 players left and a 1 scum remaining (25% vs 33% chance and an extra day of discussion). NLing day 1 is just silly. Actually looking back at day 1 when we are further along in the game can be very enlightening, once further information is revealed.

Wow, unexpectedly good turnout on the checking other games thing. Do your homework, kids! Essays are due Friday!

Playing Mother Townisa just makes me think you are trying to look town rather than actually hunting yourself. You're just repeating Meph's advice from the first page, lol. How has your reading of previous games helped you to see what is happening so far?

Don’t worry about looking dumb. I’ve played mafia on and off for maybe the last decade and the last game I was in I made two shockingly stupid mistakes that contributed to my team losing the game. It’s better to try and look dumb than do nothing, ‘cause doing nothing will lose you the game.

Yeah and we can also find out who wants to throw newbies under the bus. Guess who does that?

Caz: why shouldn’t we eliminate EP today?

Because it was your idea. I have my own ideas for today.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 17, 2023, 06:49:42 am »

ebwop: that last quote is replying to hector, not crystalized.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 17, 2023, 10:47:43 am »

What are your ideas for the day? Other than answering the same questions multiple times…

‘Cause another thing scum do with newbies is offer advice. It makes them look active and helpful, while actually being neither. You, me, Max, and EP have all jumped on Snowkiller for guidance. Would you say there’s scum in that grouping?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

sofanthiel

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Cod
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 17, 2023, 10:48:34 am »

Sorry Elephant Parade I rolled town so we might as well get you out of the way because the scum are either going to kill you N1 or you’re scum yourself.

Wouldn't a day 1 lynch be as useful to the bad guys as a nightkill?

sofanthiel: who do you think EP’s partner is?

I'm pretty sure I am.  Don't know about any of you, though...

sofanthiel: You, at least, I gleaned a little about from the very short game that didn't work at all. Can you tell me what, if anything, you learned from that?

Hmmm, maybe the fact that we should make sure everyone's available before starting small games?  Oh, and that people who change their minds often and talk a lot are suspicious?  Granted, that was just one example of that, so I can't draw any definitive conclusions.  It wasn't really the most fruitful of games, learning-wise (or anything-wise :P).

sofanthiel: Have you read any recent games on this forum for a better understanding of what to expect? The life you save could be your own.

Yeah, although, with my limited understanding of the terminology and the way stuff actually works, I don't know how much that helped.  Frankly, as the core of this game is reasoning, I don't know how much that could help.

I'm new to this game genre but I don't think I "look" for anything in D1, unless the person slips up and says something sus. It's the first day. I don't know enough about the game in general nor the people in this particular instance to say "yay" or "nay" on lynching. That's why I usually go for no lynch in the critically few mafia games I've been in.

I agree with that.  Lynching on the first day is just a coin-flip, unless someone outright admits to being a mafioso.  Anyone?

I forgot my love of rolling down the hill on the lawn.
I never noticed it until it was gone.

sofanthiel

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Cod
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 17, 2023, 10:53:25 am »

Also, apologies for being such a later, everybody!
I forgot my love of rolling down the hill on the lawn.
I never noticed it until it was gone.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 17, 2023, 11:01:28 am »

I’m assuming you’re claiming town and haven’t just outed yourself and your scum partner EP :p

What makes you so sure EP is on your team?

Eliminating someone on D1 allows the town to choose what information is revealed, and the elimination is also the town’s only weapon against scum. A 2/9 chance of hitting an baddie is better than an 0% chance of hitting a baddie, eh? Otherwise the scum get to choose who to kill, and they’re not going to choose someone that’ll help the town solve the game.

Also, being fickle (at least on D1) isn’t a bad idea. Pushing lots of different people to actually contribute means it’s harder for scum to hide. The trick is doing it in such a way that looks genuine (scum won’t be pressured by someone obviously just doing the rounds) and sticking on things that bother you about someone. The other trick is learning the right things to stick on…
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 17, 2023, 01:07:28 pm »

Yeah, although, with my limited understanding of the terminology and the way stuff actually works, I don't know how much that helped.  Frankly, as the core of this game is reasoning, I don't know how much that could help.
I didn't say it would help, I said it might save your life, because you can flatter the more experienced players by talking up their past exploits so they don't want to kill you. :P

No, in all seriousness, there are two parts to this. One is that it will genuinely help you figure out what the other players are like by seeing how they have acted in other circumstances. The other side, though, is given away if you look closely at what I said: I addressed the players I don't know very well, specifically. That's because I want to see your reactions. And everyone else's, too. I'm a banterer. I just want to chat because it lets me read your mind.

You, me, Max, and EP have all jumped on Snowkiller for guidance.
Just as a point of order, I don't remember saying anything to him specifically.

I'm going to need to hear more from TricMagic today. Yeah, I know, a pressure vote from me, sign of the apocalypse, but I think it actually works on him?
Tric, how do you like your role? I don't want to hear any details, I know you want to save those for a dramatic reveal, I just want to know if you like it.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 17, 2023, 01:17:29 pm »

This is true you haven’t said anything to Snowkiller. I’m mixing up sofanthiel and Snowkiller there.

Regardless, you’ve offered advice to a newer player, which falls within the remit of the question I asked following that sentence.

You know I don’t like it when folks edit out context :p

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 17, 2023, 01:25:09 pm »

You know I don’t like it when folks edit out context :p
I don't like it when quotes are super long and take up half the post. :P
Your post was RIGHT THERE! You can just scroll up! Anyway, I was just objecting to the specific statement, not the general one, so I focused on that.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 17, 2023, 01:31:05 pm »

We had this exact argument in the last game we were in! I’m lazy so I expect other people to be lazy too!

You were scum in the last game as well!

You’re here chatting about how folks should look at previous games as markers for how people act in certain situations and making identical arguments as when you were scum. What conclusions should we draw from this?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 17, 2023, 01:33:10 pm »

We had this exact argument in the last game we were in! I’m lazy so I expect other people to be lazy too!

You were scum in the last game as well!

You’re here chatting about how folks should look at previous games as markers for how people act in certain situations and making identical arguments as when you were scum. What conclusions should we draw from this?
... and what I learned was that I'm probably scum and should be lynched first, I guess.
You can't out-think me, hector! Don't even try.

But look, I quoted your whole post this time, as a special treat just for you. Because you're my scum partner.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 17, 2023, 01:38:40 pm »

… we were both scum in the last game we played I suppose.

We were on different teams though. I’ll just use that as entirely concrete evidence that we’re on different teams again, so you must be scum in this one.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 17, 2023, 01:43:56 pm »

If you want to talk about evidence from that game, it's awfully suspicious that you're being fun.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 37