Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 37

Author Topic: Supernatural Mafia 11 - Game over! Town victory  (Read 17049 times)

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Supernatural Mafia 11 - Day 1 Begins with the Ancestor's Blessings
« Reply #165 on: August 17, 2023, 07:37:55 pm »

Also Max, who will you be voting for once you’ve heard from Tric? Is Tric’s response going to have enough of an impact that you’re going to change your mind?
Hnnnnng. Unexpectedly, sort of.

Tric, you better plan on cleaning up all these barrels of town you've spilled all over.

Elephant Parade, when I was last in the thread, I thought you were noobtown and cryre was noobmafia. Can you pinpoint the moment this changed?
Possibly this?
OK, I've read your post over twice and I still don't understand what you're talking about. I'll let you know if I figure it out.
I recognize that we'd have had more information if I'd actually replied, but I didn't feel like engaging with Tric when he couldn't even be bothered to answer my question.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 17, 2023, 07:49:28 pm »

As noted in the post I voted the Elephant, probably town with the response you gave. It's too inflammatory to be a scum answer. they like to coordinate in their chat. I've no clue why hector made that last post, they should have been able to guess that?

I tend to gloss over your posts. The way you format them is… I don’t know if you’re familiar with the term “border gore” in games like Crusader Kings, but that.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 17, 2023, 07:53:04 pm »

I tend to gloss over your posts. The way you format them is… I don’t know if you’re familiar with the term “border gore” in games like Crusader Kings, but that.
I never got what problem people have with border gore. Have you SEEN the real-life HRE?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 17, 2023, 08:03:47 pm »

I never got what problem people have with border gore. Have you SEEN the real-life HRE?
I’ve never had to look at maps of it while I’m trying to figure out how to make everyone in my family Beautiful Genius Herculean Fecund super-beings!

I’ve genuinely gone to war in those games just to make the map more palatable.

Eh, I want more from sofanthiel and Snowkiller. They’ve got a bit under 24 hours to pick someone to eliminate, I will not accept no lynch as an answer.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Snowkiller

• Bay Watcher
  • The Big Chill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 17, 2023, 08:16:12 pm »

Lord have mercy. You all chat something fierce. I turn away for an hour or two and come back to novels. Are all mafia games this conversational?

As noted in the post I voted the Elephant, probably town with the response you gave. It's too inflammatory to be a scum answer. they like to coordinate in their chat. I've no clue why hector made that last post, they should have been able to guess that?

I was about to make a Stronghold: Crusader reference until I re-read your post and saw you mentioned Crusader Kings. A game I have played that I think is interesting, but am too smoothbrain to fully sink into. All the Paradox games are like that for me. Sid Meier on the other hand? Civilization all day. Those games tend to be slow as all get-out, but I love me some Civilization.

Good News: I'm inching closer to the idea of a D1 lynch, based on what others have said about needing to kill SOMEONE so that we don't have an eternal lynch-freeze and lose the game.

Bad News: I don't know enough about anyone in this game to point the finger at. So I'm still in no-lynch mode. At this rate, I might get lynched by everyone else just to move this along.

So, this may sound like a smoothbrain take, but I have a tendency to overthink and complicate things. Work in progress. What helps me realign and get back on target is revisiting the basics.

1) Mafia is about social deduction/interaction/deception.
2) There are two sides; mafia and town.
3) One is an informed minority, the other an uninformed majority.
4) The goal for both sides is to eliminate every member of the opposing faction. (Yes, yes--neutral/third party factions exist but I'm keeping it simple.)
5) The "meta" is for everyone to maintain a town identity.

The fifth point is important, because it reminds me that everyone will lie about being town, unless they're aiming for some kind of Xanatos Gambit (see TVTropes.org for definition). This means, no one will come out and say they're mafia, which means I only have their words to go off of. The problem here is that I have not seen anyone say anything that might betray their allegiance. It's been pot shots back and forth between veterans, with plenty of inside jokes and such to add that fuel. Player X might always do "this thing" in mafia games, and they might have done "this thing" in a previous game as mafia. But we're in a new game. They might not be mafia this time, can ya dig it? I'm afraid I'm no L, Light or Lelouch. I don't think I've even seen anything mildly suspicious yet. The only player who comes remotely close is TricMagic, and even then I admit it could be a gambit play. It could be his Lelouch/Geass move, and I'm personally getting a kick out of his fall-on-my-sword-for-the-good-of-the-colony antics, if only to keep the game moving at a steady pace. I want him to stick around just for my own amusement. Every game needs a Joker.
B L A C K
&
Y E L L O W

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 17, 2023, 08:24:41 pm »

The sub-forum is weird. We can have a day like yesterday in which we get 2 pages of stuff in 24 hours and then days like today when it gets lots of stuff going. Day end is usually busy too.

Anyway, generally speaking, in my experience, scum want to keep the game in a low information state so people don’t have enough to go on to draw (the correct) conclusions.

Town want to get as much information out as possible to be able to make the right decisions.

It gets more complicated than that but that’s basically what the game is.

Is there anybody you think is trying to keep the game in a low information state?

How about someone trying to get information into the world?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 17, 2023, 08:36:39 pm »

Lord have mercy. You all chat something fierce. I turn away for an hour or two and come back to novels. Are all mafia games this conversational?

I was about to make a Stronghold: Crusader reference until I re-read your post and saw you mentioned Crusader Kings. A game I have played that I think is interesting, but am too smoothbrain to fully sink into. All the Paradox games are like that for me. Sid Meier on the other hand? Civilization all day. Those games tend to be slow as all get-out, but I love me some Civilization.

Good News: I'm inching closer to the idea of a D1 lynch, based on what others have said about needing to kill SOMEONE so that we don't have an eternal lynch-freeze and lose the game.

Bad News: I don't know enough about anyone in this game to point the finger at. So I'm still in no-lynch mode. At this rate, I might get lynched by everyone else just to move this along.

So, this may sound like a smoothbrain take, but I have a tendency to overthink and complicate things. Work in progress. What helps me realign and get back on target is revisiting the basics.

1) Mafia is about social deduction/interaction/deception.
2) There are two sides; mafia and town.
3) One is an informed minority, the other an uninformed majority.
4) The goal for both sides is to eliminate every member of the opposing faction. (Yes, yes--neutral/third party factions exist but I'm keeping it simple.)
5) The "meta" is for everyone to maintain a town identity.

The fifth point is important, because it reminds me that everyone will lie about being town, unless they're aiming for some kind of Xanatos Gambit (see TVTropes.org for definition). This means, no one will come out and say they're mafia, which means I only have their words to go off of. The problem here is that I have not seen anyone say anything that might betray their allegiance. It's been pot shots back and forth between veterans, with plenty of inside jokes and such to add that fuel. Player X might always do "this thing" in mafia games, and they might have done "this thing" in a previous game as mafia. But we're in a new game. They might not be mafia this time, can ya dig it? I'm afraid I'm no L, Light or Lelouch. I don't think I've even seen anything mildly suspicious yet. The only player who comes remotely close is TricMagic, and even then I admit it could be a gambit play. It could be his Lelouch/Geass move, and I'm personally getting a kick out of his fall-on-my-sword-for-the-good-of-the-colony antics, if only to keep the game moving at a steady pace. I want him to stick around just for my own amusement. Every game needs a Joker.
too many words
not enough hats
if me desire hats, then me lynch Snowkiller

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 17, 2023, 08:40:30 pm »

Do not dare channel your inner TricMagic. One is hard enough to parse.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 17, 2023, 08:50:51 pm »

Tric, you better plan on cleaning up all these barrels of town you've spilled all over.
I know right?

I can confidently say Tric is at least 90% town.

Do not dare channel your inner TricMagic. One is hard enough to parse.
Max is copying my schtick. Which was me exaggerating Tric's obsessions with hats in Hat Mafia.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 17, 2023, 08:55:08 pm »

Eh, I want more from sofanthiel and Snowkiller. They’ve got a bit under 24 hours to pick someone to eliminate, I will not accept no lynch as an answer.
I don't really think it's either.

Currently I am happy with Hector or Elephant Parade's demise since one of them is mafia.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 17, 2023, 08:59:32 pm »

That's interesting, since Hector is low on my suspect list (though their shift into BM IC Mode bumped them up a bit). Care to explain your reasoning? I assume the answer is no or you already would have, but I'm asking anyway.

Hmph. Honestly that's more common than you think. Which reduces my chances of being lynched since that's apparently a towntell of mine. Seem to have a knack for it even as Cult or SK.
I've read a few of your games and this seems off-the-wall even by your standards.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 17, 2023, 09:01:22 pm »

Currently I am happy with Hector or Elephant Parade's demise since one of them is mafia.

I’m disinclined to believe it’s EP so… come and ‘ave a go if you think yer ‘ard enough.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 17, 2023, 09:02:02 pm »

I'm still mulling over Crystalizedmire, Max, and Caz.

Crystal seems funny but I'm on the fence about it.

I would like Caz's thoughts on Max.

Max is seeing the same things I'm seeing by unvoting Tric and voting Elephant. Although this means Max has faith in Hector, or at least, more faith in Hector than Elephant.

PPE:
That's interesting, since Hector is low on my suspect list (though their shift into BM IC Mode bumped them up a bit). Care to explain your reasoning? I assume the answer is no or you already would have, but I'm asking anyway.
I don't have any strong reasoning, unless Max has a better one.

Snowkiller

• Bay Watcher
  • The Big Chill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 17, 2023, 09:02:10 pm »

The sub-forum is weird. We can have a day like yesterday in which we get 2 pages of stuff in 24 hours and then days like today when it gets lots of stuff going. Day end is usually busy too.

Anyway, generally speaking, in my experience, scum want to keep the game in a low information state so people don’t have enough to go on to draw (the correct) conclusions.

Town want to get as much information out as possible to be able to make the right decisions.

It gets more complicated than that but that’s basically what the game is.

Is there anybody you think is trying to keep the game in a low information state?

How about someone trying to get information into the world?
Is that so? It is a shame, then, that upon death, a player is regaled to spectate and further participation in-thread is forbidden. I'm beginning to enjoy the banter. Not doing it myself, mind you. But reading the banter of others.

To answer your question: no. I could maybe go for Maximum Spin, since he seems to be memeing (thus off-tracking the game, which would result in more town hold-ups, and longer mafia lifespan). That's not enough to sentence anyone, of course, but I do believe I have my first suspicious gaze to cast at another player. Well done, Mr. Spin. Well done.
B L A C K
&
Y E L L O W

Snowkiller

• Bay Watcher
  • The Big Chill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 17, 2023, 09:02:48 pm »

I’m disinclined to believe it’s EP so… come and ‘ave a go if you think yer ‘ard enough.
You're Lominsan now?
B L A C K
&
Y E L L O W
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 37