Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tower of Necromancers  (Read 2218 times)

appleappleapple

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tower of Necromancers
« on: August 02, 2023, 04:10:31 pm »

I found a necromancer tower, and was going to raid it, but when I walked in and looked for a necromancer, I found 2 in the same room. Since I am a vampire, they didn't attack, and I was able to talk to them. They seemed like normal necromancers but didn't attack each other and didn't leave, and each one had its own room and books they wrote but only one secrets of life and death (that I found.) Overall, there are 3 necromancers (I killed one but no one cared,) is this normal game behavior?

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tower of Necromancers
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2023, 06:59:27 pm »

Vampires count as undead. Necromancers are opposed to life, and their non-sentient minions if they had any are also opposed to life.

appleappleapple

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2023, 07:47:46 pm »

Vampires count as undead. Necromancers are opposed to life, and their non-sentient minions if they had any are also opposed to life.
I know. This post is asking if a tower of multiple necromancers is normal in game and not a glitch.

Urist Mchateselves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2023, 08:35:03 pm »

Are you sure that necromancers are opposed to life, and that they are supposed to be alone in the towers? Because I have encountered multiple towers filled with dozens of non-hostile necromancers in adventure mode.
If you're so sure that you're gonna end up killing all of dwarven civilization, why not make a statue depicting 2147483647 dead dwarves, all of which are burning? Name it something good, like Deaddead the Dead Dead Dead-Dead of Dying. Just put it in the main hall or something, as a grim reminder that they're all gonna die.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2023, 09:58:11 pm »

Are you sure that necromancers are opposed to life, and that they are supposed to be alone in the towers? Because I have encountered multiple towers filled with dozens of non-hostile necromancers in adventure mode.

You know what? Actually you're right. Necromancers as a faction are their own thing. I don't remember the details.
unintelligent undead are just hostile to life, and that's pretty much their whole faction.

I do know that necromancers can take apprentices who also know the secrets of life and death.
How they become a necromancer without dying to the zombie horde in the first place, is never explicitly explained, though.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2023, 08:45:19 am »

Yeah, necromancers don't have OPPOSED_TO_LIFE.

The tags they get are: NOEXERT, NO_AGING, NO_EAT, NO_DRINK, NO_SLEEP, NO_PHYS_ATT_GAIN, NO_PHYS_ATT_RUST (according to extracted raws).

appleappleapple

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2023, 09:30:39 am »

I'm pretty sure they just are really angry at non-undead, or something like that.

Crystalizedmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2023, 11:37:28 pm »

A lil late but towers with multiple necromancers is super normal actually
she/her

Orange-of-Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2023, 05:57:09 am »

I found a necromancer tower, and was going to raid it, but when I walked in and looked for a necromancer, I found 2 in the same room. Since I am a vampire, they didn't attack, and I was able to talk to them. They seemed like normal necromancers but didn't attack each other and didn't leave, and each one had its own room and books they wrote but only one secrets of life and death (that I found.) Overall, there are 3 necromancers (I killed one but no one cared,) is this normal game behavior?

Yeah sounds pretty normal. You can find a whole bunch of them in there.

Also they're not hostile if you play an experiment character.

The book thing is also normal. The original Secret is kept as a slab, books with the secret in them is just if the necromancer feels like writing that insead of writing his usual book about his own site.