Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Crossbow wont work?  (Read 2060 times)

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
Crossbow wont work?
« on: December 10, 2007, 12:10:00 am »

I was in adventure mode checking around my old fortress and stealing things when I found this elephant that I used to use in arena matches. I pulled out a cross bow and 80 elephant bolts that I had just found and tried to shoot at it, then I get "you have nothing left to fire". Am I missing somthing here?
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
Re: Crossbow wont work?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 12:52:00 am »

Sometimes adventurers can get really stupid... I bet that if you look at his inventory, you'll see that he is still holding the bolts and he threw the xbow at the elephant!

(This is a joke...  ;))

I am on a hot streak... literally.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 02:01:00 am »

Have only the crossbow and bolts in your hands.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

taf_esra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 02:56:23 am »

I hate to bump a dead topic but I'm having the same problem... I only have the bow and arrows in my hand but it still won't fire  ???

edit: now wait a second, I can't have the arrow in my hands. But how do I "unequip" the arrows? when I try to place it in a bag it claims that there is no suitable storage. I don't want to just drop them and lose them
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 03:05:25 am by taf_esra »

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 08:45:51 am »

'p'lace them into a quiver. If you started as a bowman you should already have a quiver, if not, just hold them and fire. I can fire a bow while holding the arrows so I don't see why you're not able to.

If they're in your pack, 'r'emove them.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 12:16:47 pm »

I bet the problem here is what I had.
You DON'T need the bolts in your hand
you DON'T need them in a quiver.

what you probabally did was pick up the crossbow with your wrong hand. If, say, you're left handed then you can only fire a crossbow or use a sword with that hand. Try switching hands. And make sure they're BOLTS not ARROWS. Bolts work in a crossbow, arrows do not

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The irony ... it doesn't burn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 11:32:05 am »

I think the hand launcher is better. It can fire both arrows and bolts and even doesn't destroys them on impact.

Use [t]hrow to use.
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 01:13:40 pm »

I think the hand launcher is better. It can fire both arrows and bolts and even doesn't destroys them on impact.

Use [t]hrow to use.

Same here personally. I always imagine the bolts being something akin to ninja needles when I do this. There is nothing cooler then just running into down, tossing bolts and crippling every unlucky bastard that gets near you.

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The irony ... it doesn't burn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 02:11:35 pm »

Use [t]hrow to use.

Same here personally. I always imagine the bolts being something akin to ninja needles when I do this. There is nothing cooler then just running into down, tossing bolts and crippling every unlucky bastard that gets near you.

And if he could get close enough ... his face would meet a stack of 30 bolts at once.

Really, I mean, it's like firing/throwing 30 bolts at once, with the exception that you don't even lose them. So you can still stab them until all that remains is a bloody puddle.
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 04:07:22 pm »

Use [t]hrow to use.

And if he could get close enough ... his face would meet a stack of 30 bolts at once.

Really, I mean, it's like firing/throwing 30 bolts at once, with the exception that you don't even lose them. So you can still stab them until all that remains is a bloody puddle.

Too bad you can't throw them all at once. That would be an awesome way to kill a dragon, just a shotgun of arrows.

kenken244

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 09:06:19 pm »

EDIT: oops did not mean to post here.

ousire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 09:09:20 pm »

Too bad you can't throw them all at once. That would be an awesome way to kill a dragon, just a shotgun of arrows.

arrow shotgun: possibly one of the most dwarfy weapons around outside magma cannons

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2009, 01:21:20 pm »

I wonder if it would be possible to mod a shotgun into this game?

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2009, 06:11:36 pm »

I wonder if it would be possible to mod a shotgun into this game?

I think it's already been done.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2009, 02:32:28 pm »

LINK PLZ

I never knew you could make an object that would fire more then one shot at a time
Pages: [1] 2