Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Random Facts Thread  (Read 2165 times)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: Random Facts Thread
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2023, 06:38:13 pm »

Arabs added nothing to the world's numerical system

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This is a common misconception. Both the modern zero and all the "Arabic" numerals are from India. Zero has also been used in various forms since ancient times, and the Greeks occasionally used a symbol very much like ours, a small circle, to indicate it.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2023, 06:38:39 pm »

He must be moving much slower than that as he still isn't here, what's he going to do when he gets here anyway?

Each post they cover half the distance, so they're always approaching but in theory will never meet you.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2023, 01:30:36 am »

Well I guess that means we'll never figure out what he'd do when he gets here.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2023, 02:59:54 am »

Average human body temp has decreased to 36.5±1°C (97.7±1.8°F): Decreasing human body temperature in the United States since the Industrial Revolution
The industrial revolution and its consequences have been an adjustment for human homeostasis

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2023, 08:39:32 am »

There is a skeleton 0m from you.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2023, 08:41:15 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2023, 04:59:51 pm »

On that note, your skeleton is always wet as long as you area healthy.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2023, 08:11:13 am »

It's even better: all skeletons overlap, and are everywhere!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2023, 08:16:51 am by McTraveller »
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2023, 09:05:39 am »

Cats abhor vacuums.
Been a long time since I laughed at one of those.

Such a great movie, such a great meme format. I am glad to have witnessed this.

The Maritime Republic of Genoa invented denim jeans 500 years ago

Flawed fact! Genoa invented jeans. The French city Nimes (pronounced Nim) invented the denim, hence the name "jeans de nimes", "jeans from nimes"

Germanic invader/settlers built their homes in the ruins of Roman structures with Roman mosaics on the floor (leading to interesting poems and epics suggesting some germanics believed they lived after the end of the world).

This isn't actually all that surprising. If you look at the norse apocalypse scenario, Ragnarok in light of what we know of nordic history, it is possibly describing a romanticised version of an environmental catastrophe that later led to the migration era: "the sun was swallowed leading to eternal winter" climate got a lot colder and "brother turned against brother in a time of strife, war, and betrayal" leading to conflicts over what little resources remains, even among former friends and within tribal bounds. There was, for example, still within medieval times (in the Nordics medieval means post 1000s) stories told on the island of Gotland of the island and the tribe of the Gutes being saved from destruction in a time of great hardship by electing to banish half the population from the island.

It might have been such an apocalypse event that caused the germanic tribes to push south and east into the continent, and it might have been remembered as thekr history for some time before it became a story of the future end times. To a 600th-800th century (whenever they settled the Britics, can't remember now) Angle the ruins of Roman settlements may very well have reinforced the already told sagas of ragnarok and feeling of living in a post-apocalyptic world.
Love, scriver~

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2023, 12:04:23 pm »

Fact:
Ninjas are mammals

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2023, 12:57:43 pm »

Have you seen them lactate?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2023, 02:44:20 pm »

Have you seen them lactate?

Sounds like something DerMeister would ask.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2023, 03:10:39 pm »

Flawed fact! Genoa invented jeans. The French city Nimes (pronounced Nim) invented the denim, hence the name "jeans de nimes", "jeans from nimes"
Sweet jeans are made from nimes
Who am I to disagree
I am Genoa and ligurian sea
Everybody's looking for some jeans

This isn't actually all that surprising. If you look at the norse apocalypse scenario, Ragnarok in light of what we know of nordic history, it is possibly describing a romanticised version of an environmental catastrophe that later led to the migration era: "the sun was swallowed leading to eternal winter" climate got a lot colder and "brother turned against brother in a time of strife, war, and betrayal" leading to conflicts over what little resources remains, even among former friends and within tribal bounds. There was, for example, still within medieval times (in the Nordics medieval means post 1000s) stories told on the island of Gotland of the island and the tribe of the Gutes being saved from destruction in a time of great hardship by electing to banish half the population from the island.

It might have been such an apocalypse event that caused the germanic tribes to push south and east into the continent, and it might have been remembered as thekr history for some time before it became a story of the future end times. To a 600th-800th century (whenever they settled the Britics, can't remember now) Angle the ruins of Roman settlements may very well have reinforced the already told sagas of ragnarok and feeling of living in a post-apocalyptic world.
There's also a few deluge events and possible giga-north sea stormnamis speculated, but even the ones we know did happen could be brutal

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2023, 02:47:47 am »

Sounds like something DerMeister would ask.
Careful now say his name three times in a row and he will appear.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2023, 04:27:01 am »

But... Do ninja's even exist?
Can ninja's even exist?

I mean, from an empirical point of view, I shall not believe that ninjas are mammals until enough peers have seen them lactate....
But if ever a ninja is seen, does it not cease to be a ninja? Isn't the ninja's core defining property being unseen?
It's like a ninja is some kind of reverse quantum particle. It can only exist when not observed.

Ugh. My brain hurts. I need a glass of fresh ninja milk.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2023, 04:32:25 am »

Sweet jeans are made from nimes
Who am I to disagree
I am Genoa and ligurian sea
Everybody's looking for some jeans

Some them want to wear you
Some them want to be worn by you
Some of them want to tear you
Some them want to be a-torn

It doesn't really work with out abused word-playing so well with "used by you" though. Genius level rhyme
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 [2] 3