Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Does ignoring the Elven caravans mean no Elvish diplomat?  (Read 757 times)

Orange-of-Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Does ignoring the Elven caravans mean no Elvish diplomat?
« on: July 21, 2023, 07:01:06 am »

So in my current fort I have workshops set permamently to decorate with shells and bones.

A side effect of this is that I cannot trade with the Elves, as pretty much everything is decorated with shell and/or bone and they don't take that.

Anyway, I have ignored the Elven caravan for like 6-7 game years as t's no use trying to trade with them anyway, and noticed I am not getting any Elven diplomats either since I traded with them like 8-9 years ago.

I got one warning about curting trees down, since then I have logged most of the surface a couple of times and there's logs lying everywhere and didn't even get another warning. (I just cut the trees for fps, but have coal and lignite for the furnaces.)

So I am just wondering if the Elven diplomat mechanic depends on you trading with the Elven caravan?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Does ignoring the Elven caravans mean no Elvish diplomat?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2023, 12:32:17 pm »

I can't speak to the state of affairs in the Steam version, but in the past the Elven Diplomat would not visit your fortress until you became a Barony.

However, that's also what would trigger logging quotas, so if you've gotten one already and the Diplomat hasn't shown up again, then clearly something's changed and I don't know what's going on.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2023, 04:51:32 pm »

Trade == A measure of your diplomacy.

By breaking the tree-quota you've most definitely soured relations (above and below ground logging counted) it sounds like. The first couple of trades with elves are usually important for setting out how you mean to go on, due to the low amount of goods they bring which are more easily missed and show a less committed stance to diplomacy, as if you embark as elves or people aligned similarly to elves, they send the usual two animals instead of one im fairly sure based on inter-civ opinions on ethics.

Its a good likelyhood they have already ongoing wars they have commited armies to, or are losing badly to another race why they haven't ambushed you already. You can however force a peace by obtaining tribute from every site linked to that civ's government warring you, which resets relations to positive, even if their ideological stance remains the same. Trying this with goblins shows that across 3 seasons of delivering tribute, they can slip from +positive relations back to hostility, no caravans and war just for ideological and babysnatching activities, possibly resetting the intensity of sieges.

Orange-of-Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2023, 07:26:04 am »

I can't speak to the state of affairs in the Steam version, but in the past the Elven Diplomat would not visit your fortress until you became a Barony.

However, that's also what would trigger logging quotas, so if you've gotten one already and the Diplomat hasn't shown up again, then clearly something's changed and I don't know what's going on.

I became a barony in like year one, However, the baron drowned (not by my doing) and I never got a new baron. I got promoted to a Duke-dom, but never got a replacement noble. I got a number of holdings, and the dwarf diplomat keeos saying "I have the power to elevate your realm." without much happening.

It's pretty cool though having a 200-fort with the mayor as the highest noble, I am not complaining.

Orange-of-Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2023, 07:35:23 am »

Trade == A measure of your diplomacy.

By breaking the tree-quota you've most definitely soured relations (above and below ground logging counted) it sounds like. The first couple of trades with elves are usually important for setting out how you mean to go on, due to the low amount of goods they bring which are more easily missed and show a less committed stance to diplomacy, as if you embark as elves or people aligned similarly to elves, they send the usual two animals instead of one im fairly sure based on inter-civ opinions on ethics.

Its a good likelyhood they have already ongoing wars they have commited armies to, or are losing badly to another race why they haven't ambushed you already. You can however force a peace by obtaining tribute from every site linked to that civ's government warring you, which resets relations to positive, even if their ideological stance remains the same. Trying this with goblins shows that across 3 seasons of delivering tribute, they can slip from +positive relations back to hostility, no caravans and war just for ideological and babysnatching activities, possibly resetting the intensity of sieges.

I had 1500 logs after making charcoal for a year and also using a good number of logs for walls, floors, 240 beds and hundreds of wheelbarrows because I forgot a carpenter workshop set to repeat, so yeah I must have broken the quota. I just designate large areas for logging to save fps and leave the logs.

I think I only had 1 successfull trade with the Elves. Then I tried maybe twice to trade with them where the Elves got angry and left because of shell-decorations and after that I simply ignored the Elven caravan.

The Elven diplomat also just showed once, so it sorta looks like if you ignore the caravan, then the diplomat ignores you as well?

My civ seems to be allied to a lot of Elves in a big war aganst a goblin civilization. It might be the trading Elves are part of this alliance? Maybe this makes them cool with my destruction of the trees.

Even so, if they have no soldiers to spare, I'd still expect the diplomat to show up and complain.