Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Really Basic Adventuring Questions  (Read 1493 times)

Sgt. Malarkey

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Really Basic Adventuring Questions
« on: March 02, 2007, 07:40:00 pm »

As far as basic basics go, I have a few questions. Dumb questions.

1. How do I heal? Is it by eating or sleeping or something else?

2. How do I trade? I know how to get into the trade menu, but I have nothing to give the vendor. Do I get gold somewhere? I've never found any loot outside of ruins.

3. What other things can I do with wrestle? I know grab head --> eye gouge and grab neck --> choke hold --> strangle. I think there's also a [something] --> joint lock --> break. What's the something and what else is there?

4. Am I doing something wrong? I hear you guys saying things like "just strangle on your first two quests," but when I try to do my first quest, I die half the time. (I've tried putting points into all hammer, all wrestle, some hammer and some armor) Can I set preferences so I don't get raped by two gremlins and a minotaur?

Thanks for the help

5. How do I equip/unequip?

[ March 02, 2007: Message edited by: Sgt. Malarkey ]

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Really Basic Adventuring Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 09:04:00 pm »

Ok...
1. Heal by moving off screen! Its the easiest way to get rid of anything that troubles your character.  But its really kinda unfair.
2. There are better ways to explain...
3. Stick with strangling... Its a great way to level
4. Try upping your stats by training against zombies. Throwing rocks is a pretty good way to do this

Valarauka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 08:43:00 pm »

Ok:
1 - You automatically repair injuries (except loss of organs/limbs) and thirst/hunger when you 'travel' on the overmap. So just exit, take one step away and voila, you're fixed.

2 - This is a bit complicated. You select items on the vendor's screen and yours to trade by pressing Enter on them; then press 't' to attempt trade. If the offer is acceptable, the deal is done: you drop your items right there on the floor, and you can go around the shop and pick up the stuff you bought - it won't have the $$ signs on it anymore (if you take anything $like this$ out of the shop, you're branded an outlaw.) You can use asdfghjkl to trade with currency, too - the wiki has some more explanation on how to do that.

3 -  You can break any joint by grabbing the attached limb, locking the joint then breaking it. Examples:
grab (left/right) upper arm->lock shoulder->break shoulder
grab lower arm->lock elbow->break elbow
grab hand->lock wrist->break wrist
You can do the same with upper/lower legs and feet to break hips, knees and ankles. One nice way to increase your wrestling skill is to grab an undead, break all their joints, then choke them forever (they don't need to breathe, so they won't die...)

4 - One nice starting build i've found is 11 points in the weapon of your choice (I like hammers..), 11 points in Armor User (You start with a fairly decent set that way), and 6 points in Shield (i.e. Novice) - that uses up all your points exactly and is fairly survivable. Everything else is really easy to train up. Practice your Ambush skill in town before you head out to help your chances (press shift-S to start sneaking, then just hold down left+right until you're tired). And remember to grab a crew (talk/join with any weapon users you see, and fill up your party with drunks) - they help out quite a lot.

Shador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 06:33:00 am »

3. You can also wrestle to disarm/steal from enemies. Grab one of their items with either hand, then use 'I' and try to gain possession of it.

Xombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 08:42:00 pm »

I got some questions too:
Where do i find undeads? I cleansed all the dungeons i found. But there is only goblins cyclops and kobolds.
My char is ultra-mighty and extremely tough and agile. But criminal from very start of the game(i was tryin to trade but they attacked me so i end killing everybody and took set of "=plate armors="). What else i can do in game?

I hang with elven swordsgirl. And she goes prone all the time and stands up. Maybe she need to drink/eat or something?

She is good at killing goblins with wooden sword. But how do i equip her with some **uber-twohander**? Is there way to give away items like in ADOM?

I currently use twohanded great axe and shield, does it decrease damage or something?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 09:13:00 pm »

5) You can wear things with 'w' wear and remove with 'r'.  It picks the weapon you are wielding based on what is in your hands.  Occasionally you have to drop them pick things up to make it see the right one.

Undead can be found in ruins, which are scattered around the world.  You'll often get them as quests.

There's not much to do in adventure mode right now.  It's a work in progress.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Aflac

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 08:22:00 pm »

Since I don't want to start a new topic I'll ask here; How do I get more arrows?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 11:39:00 pm »

I don't think I've put them in stores yet.  So you'll need to get them from your dead buddies or from kobolds and goblins (and rarely undead) that you've killed.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Aflac

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2007, 01:54:00 am »

Thanks for the quick reply!  :)

4bh0r53n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/index.php?c=1&mforum=abhorsengames
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2007, 02:47:00 pm »

quote:
How do I get more arrows?

find an abandoned fortress and steal them from there

.B.H.O.R.S.E.N.: Abhorrent, Bloodthirsty, Hitchhiker-Obliterating Ravager from the Sunless Enchanted Necropolis

I dont explode Cats, its way to hard to coax them into the microwave...

Naminator4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2007, 12:40:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Aflac:
<STRONG>Since I don't want to start a new topic I'll ask here; How do I get more arrows?</STRONG>

Either raid goblin or kabold forts, kill their archers (which isn't that easy).

But to earn alot of ammo, but is very sucidal, is to raid dwarf fortresses or elven forests.  There are alot of archers in those areas.

[ March 11, 2007: Message edited by: Naminator4 ]

hat''s it for now.

Tubal_Cain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2007, 12:00:00 pm »

Ok I'm feeling very stupid. How do I progress from a Grab to a lock?  I can grab stuff and strangle etc, but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to get a lock so I can break somethings legs arms or various other appendeges.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2007, 07:19:00 pm »

You have to grab the right locations -- usually, the location immediately past the joint.  For instance, to lock and break someone's shoulder, you have to grab their upper arm.  To break their wrist, you have to grab their hand.  Etc.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Zomg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2007, 07:22:00 pm »

To lock or gouge you have to use your own hand for the grab, meaning you have to put away either your weapon or shield. I believe you can strangle with anything, though, so feel free to suffocate a goblin child with a zombie's soiled loincloth.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2007, 07:49:00 pm »

Ah, yes, I should've mentioned that.  You need a free hand to lock.  Otherwise the game just treats it like you're holding them back.

Personally I want to have it so grabbing someone's throat with my sword means that I'm holding the sword to their throat and trying desperately to garrote their head off with it (an impractical but fun way to kill someone with a sword), but I'm still satisfied enough with pointy things just being pointy.

[edit]First homophone error I've made in about ten months...

[ April 02, 2007: Message edited by: JT ]

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin
Pages: [1] 2