Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to introduce DF to others?  (Read 956 times)

zhijinghaofromchina

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a fan of 矮人要塞
    • View Profile
How to introduce DF to others?
« on: July 12, 2023, 03:57:10 am »

After my first fort became into remains after an attack by a titan which can produce poisonous webs,a new idea struck me,"How to introduce this interesting game to the people around me?"In the past few years,I boasted to my classmates that this game is so world-famous and detailed in spectecular aspects,such as its specific simulation of its ores'location,its varity in plants and the novel devotion of the brothers behind it.

After the steam version was releasd,more and more intention of Chinese players was caught by this amazing game,however I'd love to introduce it to others in just oral ways.

How about your suggestions,my dear fellow players? 
问苍茫大地,谁主沉浮?我主沉浮!
Ask the vast land , who is in charge of the ups and downs .
I am in charge of the ups and downs !

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to introduce DF to others?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2023, 06:09:29 am »

Know your audience. It's fun to launch into entertaining people with how I 'waste my time' by covering whatever fascinates you about the game, but no point jumping in with the tales of Ninja Hippos (or perhaps my early tendency to have "Urist McHunter cancels hunt: Hunting vermin for food") if I think someone'll more enjoy the auto-history aspect, the wider variety of resource-management, the chance to construct/excavate structures or even the challenges of fluid-logic.

There's a lot to it, though. I'm not exactly the best person at steering them past all the 'tedious' elements (subjectively... given that one man's poison, at least initially, is another's main attraction), and I don't even know what your friends and acquaintences will respond to.

(I was attracted by the worldgen aspect, for reference. The actual world map that took hours to produce a scrollable ANSI low-res overview. I didn't really get into the 'on the ground' Fortress (or Adventure) playing for quite a while. But it takes all sorts!)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2023, 07:54:17 am »

The thing that I think best hooks people onto this game is the quirks that come out of it.

I've personally been able to convince about 10 people to play by just describing to them how cats used to get drunk because they walked through taverns and licked their beer-soaked paws. Then, of course, the cats would start bar fights. The bugs for the game show how in-depth it really is, which is where the game outshines any others.

alfredbaudisch

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2023, 01:42:43 am »

I managed to convince a person to play after I stopped telling about the game features and instead told some stories from my forts.

He went from "oh so many features, interesting but seems too complex" to "I have to see/live that [story] myself!".

Kikkero

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2023, 11:20:12 am »

You don't.  Dwarf Fortress is your only friend, from now on.

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2023, 05:56:00 pm »

The thing that I think best hooks people onto this game is the quirks that come out of it.

I've personally been able to convince about 10 people to play by just describing to them how cats used to get drunk because they walked through taverns and licked their beer-soaked paws. Then, of course, the cats would start bar fights. The bugs for the game show how in-depth it really is, which is where the game outshines any others.

I think this is a great idea. If you can tell them a short, easy-to-understand story that highlights the strengths of the game (its complexity, the interacting game mechanisms) then you can get people interested. Usually telling people super long stories doesn't work.