Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to Deal with Loss  (Read 803 times)

feorh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to Deal with Loss
« on: July 12, 2023, 03:52:31 am »

Soo...
My steam acted up so I decided to reinstall it and...
Do you know that DF cloud saves is not a thing?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: How to Deal with Loss
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2023, 08:02:13 am »

They may not be, but save might actually be in the files somewhere - depending on your setup, I'd just double check the Steam folders for whatever your region was called (region1 by default).

My condolences, my friend. A multi-(real)year folder was once lost to lazy backing up by yours-truly. There is nothing to do but to take a 1-3 month break from the game and come back with a new world. It was inevitable.

feorh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2023, 09:16:09 am »

Yeah, real sad.
Sadly as win was uninstalling steam and all its folders, including DF, including save folder.
Well, I understand that my 50+ y.o. fort had unattainable goals and I was playing at ~1 fps since around February, still, what a way to go...

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2023, 10:12:14 am »

A multi-(real)year folder was once lost to lazy backing up by yours-truly. There is nothing to do but to take a 1-3 month break from the game and come back with a new world. It was inevitable.

The wounds never heal though. Just like being struck by a Morgul-knife.

DerpFortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2023, 12:48:47 am »

Learn from it. If it hurts that much, take steps so that it doesn't happen again. Tell the world so the same fate doesn't befall others.

Well, you probably have all that covered already.

Don't be too sad. DF tends to be brutal in all of its lessons, including the one that teaches you to back up your game.

...Actually, if you're desperate, you could try sending your drive to a data recovery expert and see if they can't salvage your deleted files.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2023, 01:16:50 pm »

having lost countless saves to corruption, accidental deletion (including an engaging premium fortress that was deleted due to the save files automatically overwriting certain folders, still miffed about that one), and the like...

The feeling of a fresh fortress, with full FPS, and all the dreams in the world - it's unlike any other game.

also don't be afraid to take a break and come back with fresh ideas in a month or two.