Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Extreme RAM use after update  (Read 1222 times)

Salsa Gal

• Bay Watcher
  • Diggy diggy hole
    • View Profile
Extreme RAM use after update
« on: July 02, 2023, 10:35:53 pm »

Has anyone else had their game start using an extreme amount of RAM when playing? I just tried the latest update and the game uses 3 gigs of ram when I'm playing it. It spikes rapidly when I embark and load a save in an embark.

I'm on Linux and using Proton if anyone things that has something to do with it.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Extreme RAM use after update
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2023, 01:41:30 am »

Has anyone else had their game start using an extreme amount of RAM when playing? I just tried the latest update and the game uses 3 gigs of ram when I'm playing it. It spikes rapidly when I embark and load a save in an embark.

I'm on Linux and using Proton if anyone things that has something to do with it.

Check out the problems that Justiceface has been having in this thread and the replies to it (especially mine).  I think there’s a possibility that your problem is ultimately caused by the same thing:  not having accelerated graphics drivers properly installed.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2023, 02:27:03 am »

Well it crashes quite often on a potato pc, but runs normally on a better one.

Salsa Gal

• Bay Watcher
  • Diggy diggy hole
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2023, 08:16:57 am »

Check out the problems that Justiceface has been having in this thread and the replies to it (especially mine).  I think there’s a possibility that your problem is ultimately caused by the same thing:  not having accelerated graphics drivers properly installed.

Oh thanks this seems helpful I'll try it and let you know!

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2023, 08:23:37 pm »

Oh thanks this seems helpful I'll try it and let you know!

Just so you know, you should read my latest post in that thread.  I’m no longer certain that Justiceface’s problem is caused by not having drivers properly installed.  It looks like their problem might be caused by something else.  In your case, I’d suggest that you run the command that I had Justiceface run and make sure that each graphics interface listed has a “Kernel driver in use:” entry that is set to something other than “none”.  If they are, then your problem is likely also not caused by improperly installed drivers…
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Salsa Gal

• Bay Watcher
  • Diggy diggy hole
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2023, 07:11:28 am »

Well my problem was solved through Putnam's suggestion of manually setting the render mode to 2D or whatever it was in the init.txt but I'll have a look at that too