Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Problems with Adventure Mode  (Read 1479 times)

Juason

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Problems with Adventure Mode
« on: July 13, 2007, 11:46:00 pm »

I just wanted to share some problems I was having with adventure mode.  

First of all, I've not yet been able to find a shop.  I know shops are not present in dwarf caves, so I instead have been visiting human settlements looking for merchants.  However, all I can find are houses I guess.

I even went to a few capitals through several runs, and none of them ever seemed to have a merchant.  Am I missing something obvious here?  All I see is one large horizonal road with houses alongside it in every, single, human city.

My second problem, is that hired help does not come equipped.  I can have an axeman, hammerman and crossbowman all join me - and proceed to get cut down by the enemy as they have no weaponry.  Worse yet, I can't even find a way to equip them.  Is this just an unfinished part of the game?  The adventurer mode wiki tutorial mentions them having equipment...

Otherwise things are going alright.  I've not yet been able to start off with equipment, so I'm usually tossing rocks and wrestling things to their death.  Its quite a bit of fun :P

The Moonlit Knight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Problems with Adventure Mode
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 02:16:00 am »

Sounds like a bug, man (or maybe a whole can of worms?). My worlds are always full of shops, and my hired help come equipped. Have you messed around with the files in the Raw folder at all?
A man once said to me, "If you want superpowers, all you have to do is take acid and you'll have any superpower you want." He then asked if I had just, at that moment, shaved half my face; I revealed that as being my superpower. Being suddenly and inexplicably half-shaven.

Juason

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 02:59:00 am »

No I'v not done anything at all Mod-ish.  I decided to get a new copy of DF, make a new world and try again.  That fixed the problem.

I am still a bit confused why the thing runs so slow on my Pentium-m 2.0Ghz laptop.  Fortress mode is plenty fast, but sometimes entering a capital drags me down to 10fps or less.  This results in my dwarf being very hard to control.  It isn't always this bad.  Maybe I'll turn off temperature and weather and see what happens.

Is there a reason to actually collect trade goods?  I found that all the shops I did find in the capital only sold bronze items, food, or junk trinkets - wheras my dwarf begins with iron weapon/shield/armor.  I finished a few dungeon quests and just left everything behind to save on encumberance.

What does completing quests give you?  The mayor basically said "Atta boy!" and gave me another quest hehe.  I must be missing something there.  

Lastly, can you use the Q map to quickmove?  I can see how you lay out lines, but wasn't able to make it engage.  Moving on the map a space at a time is a bit slow, especially when your destination is several screens away hehe.  

I apologize if these questions are silly, hehe.  The wiki wasn't deep enough.

capgamer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007, 03:18:00 am »

Adventure mode just isn't very far along yet and it needs a LOT of work.

What does work is fun, though. Like setting fire to all the trees around a town and coming back to find human skulls and equipment strewn about.

f you kill a man''s daughter and throw her severed head at the man in a forest, and it breaks his lower body, does he give in to the pain?

Hellzon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2007, 08:08:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Juason:
Is there a reason to actually collect trade goods?  I found that all the shops I did find in the capital only sold bronze items, food, or junk trinkets - wheras my dwarf begins with iron weapon/shield/armor.  I finished a few dungeon quests and just left everything behind to save on encumberance.

No point for dwarves, really. They can loot old forts for stuff. Humans may want to buy better stuff. (They might start with copper crap, and civilizations have either copper, bronze or iron, randomly.) Elves might want a better weapon.

quote:
What does completing quests give you?  The mayor basically said "Atta boy!" and gave me another quest hehe.  I must be missing something there.

That's about it for now. It's fun to drain an area of quests, though. (Killing all the menaces.)

[ July 14, 2007: Message edited by: Hellzon ]

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2007, 11:11:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Juason:
<STRONG>Is there a reason to actually collect trade goods?  I found that all the shops I did find in the capital only sold bronze items, food, or junk trinkets - wheras my dwarf begins with iron weapon/shield/armor.</STRONG>

in that case there is a very small point in trading- you can find a town with iron equipment, and then by masterworks and artifacts from them. since Adventure mode has no goal, you can set this as your [adventurer's] personal quest.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Twerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2007, 11:38:00 pm »

Holy crap! I thought I was the only one that got this bug... I got this same exact bug when playing Dwarf Fortress. However, oddly enough, ruins had equipment in them-- same goes for all the zombies and skeletons there. That was the only place I found equipment.
Free-to-play games are like the fountains in NetHack. At first, they look refreshing, but when you approach snakes pour out and eat you.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2007, 05:27:00 am »

The only reason to buy wapons SEEMS to be to get more artwork in the legends screen.

[ July 15, 2007: Message edited by: qwertyuiopas ]

Eh?
Eh!

Cosmonot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2007, 04:05:00 pm »

Buying weapons is a great idea if you don't have any other source of quality armament, such as abandoned fortresses. Money isn't used for much right now, so you might as well spend it on weapons and armor.
Kobolds carry copper crossbows.