Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Repairing outlaw status?  (Read 1370 times)

Snee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Repairing outlaw status?
« on: February 16, 2007, 04:09:00 pm »

Heya. My fairly advanced character accidentally annoyed a townsperson (picked up gold that wasnt mine, guess I thought it was owed me) didnt notice the "$'s" so when I realized my mistake (out in the town) I dropped it and a guard attacked me.

needless to say this didnt go well for the guard.

I tried to go see a mayor to report finishing a mission, but talking no longer works, and when he attacked me too, my cournterstrike made him lose his head.

Evey town I have been to similarly attacks me.

Is there anything I can do, or do I just avoid towns of all faction/race from now on?

thanks for all advice,

Snee

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
Re: Repairing outlaw status?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 04:18:00 pm »

I've never observed them forgiving me.

At one point, I even picked up a suit of armour at early morning one night and wandered around aimlessly while waiting for the shopkeeper to wake up and come to the store so I could buy it.  After passing some time holding down the . key, I got bored and decided I would get some adventuring done and come back some other time.  Then I realised -- "Oops!" -- as soon as I stepped out the door, when no one in town had even seen me, and walked back inside and dropped the armour back on the table where I found it.  However, by this point it was too late.  When I came back some time later to talk to the shopkeep, I was dismissed in annoyance.

I was never attacked by anyone, but they all said "Don't talk to me" in a hostile magenta tone of voice.  Yeah.  Magenta tone of voice.

[ February 16, 2007: Message edited by: JT ]

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 11:31:00 pm »

I walked into a town once, having been "outlawed" for some misunderstanding, but i hoped maybe this town would forgive me for a small thing in a different town. They didn't, and that upset me and my legendary ambusher / legendary thrower, so what did i do? I hunted... I hunted dogs...horses..cats... any misfortunate pet of the humans of that town that came within 40 spaces of me would get picked off by sniper rocks and thrown bolts and spears...and i stalked around all over the outskirts of town, making sure the guards never saw me.

I waited until night fall...and then i sneaked into town, iron spear in my hand... and i found the dormitories...

I stepped into the first room carefully, and saw there a peasant, and his only child... People that would consider me an outcast, that would never speak to me, nor consider me equal. I held a hatred towards them i had never felt toward any creature or thing in my life, and with that hatred, i raised my spear, and stabbed the child...over and over...until he bled out onto the floor... and then i killed his mother... and i took their bodies, threw them against a tree...and lit the tree on fire...

I went to each room, killing women, children, everyone. Half way through, it stopped being about the hatred... i started to enjoy it... the power i had over these little insignicant humans whom had deemed ME unworthy of their attention. With each passing thrust of my spear my grin grew wider...

I set the town aflame, leaving none alive, having become a different man-no, not a man, i couldn't ever believe my self to be comparable with a human anymore..I was...something else... something... darker...

[ March 18, 2007: Message edited by: ColonelTEE3 ]

[ March 18, 2007: Message edited by: ColonelTEE3 ]

Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat

BlueDestiny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 03:56:00 am »

A spear? Pshaw, real psychopaths use bare hands and strangulation. As one town learned a fateful night.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 04:19:00 am »

sleeping guards are good wrestling practice if there arent any ruins nearby
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 04:25:00 pm »

Say, that gives an interesting idea... maybe the game could track the actual means by which the player kills enemies and use that to determine a sort of reputation-based nickname for him.

For instance, if you go into a civ and slaughter its citizens by strangling them, you'll be called "Reg the Strangler".  If you go into a dungeon and kill every enemy of a civilisation by strangulation, you'll be called "Reg the Herculean".  And so forth.  The basic idea is that a civilisation would have its own unique opinion of you and would base its nickname for you from that opinion.  You'd appear in their history books under the appropriate nickname and so forth.

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 04:59:00 pm »

I wonder what kind of nickname you would get for bludgeoning victims to death with their own limbs and/or the limbs of their friends and family....
Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat

Akael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2007, 07:14:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by ColonelTEE3:
<STRONG>I wonder what kind of nickname you would get for bludgeoning victims to death with their own limbs and/or the limbs of their friends and family....</STRONG>

Well, you'd have to get the limbs OFF at some point.

"Colonel the Butcher"

Telltolin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Miriscus
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 08:46:00 am »

I've realized a way to repair outlaw status. But it's probably a bug, and using it would be exploiting. But who cares?

What you need to do:
Go to a new town, and press escape and (hopefully) it will say "Retire or Rest a while as a peasant" as if you weren't in a place that wanted you dead. It did this for me. Select that, then select that character again and go back into the game. If it works for you like it did me, all things are forgotten. If it doesn't work, then it must've been a fluke. Also, sorry for necromancy.

Chariot

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 10:06:00 pm »

when its within a month its generaly not concidered thread necromancy, especialy concidering threads from last month are still on the first page of topics

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 10:08:00 pm »

I believe at one poing the above method tended to cause some problems, like the city thinking itself an enemy and causing a bunch of random infighting.   I dunno if it's been fxed though.  I'd recommend caution.

Naminator4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2007, 10:25:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by JT:
<STRONG>Say, that gives an interesting idea... maybe the game could track the actual means by which the player kills enemies and use that to determine a sort of reputation-based nickname for him.</STRONG>

Actually, it's possible to get a nickname through reputation.

If you slaughter towns, elf forests, dwarf forts, etc, you get some sort of extended name (although, it might not follow you on how you dispatched them).

[ April 24, 2007: Message edited by: Naminator4 ]

hat''s it for now.

Bien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2007, 09:20:00 pm »

How do i burn an entier town. I managed to burn a tree but thats how far i got