Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Locktorch, a Endless succession fortress (50.11)  (Read 9377 times)

Thomasasia

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Vampromancer
    • View Profile
Re: Dynasties Endless succession fortress 50.09 classic
« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2023, 12:55:41 am »

Are there actually 100s of chicken in the fortress?
Btw it's your turn BudTomazi.

Easily hundreds. I recommend that BudTomazi butchers them over a year or so, so that it doesn't go bad, and sell the resulting high value food.

Come to think of it, I hardly touched food production. If a few select legendary cooks were the only ones allowed to cook, I think that would benefit the denizens of the fortress greatly.

I notice that Dumat Ganglabors was accused of the murder of Ume Nesefuri

Oh, the fell mood guy. It wasn't murder, it was art!

Nod Abpalon keeps tantruming and murdering people after killing the Ettin (trauma??)

Nod Continues to be a murdering maniac.

So far most of our losses are humans, might as well just forgive him, he did kill two titans. If you already killed Nod, I posthumously forgive him.

Well done!

He killed two dwarfs with legendary skills, and trends tend to continue. I knew that he would continue to murder until he himself died. But as a legendary sword user, legendary fighter, and legendary dodger, he would be able to murder forever. Even after I disarmed him, he killed people with his bare hands. And he was a human after all. Fearing the damage he would cause to my successors, I could not let him live. My only regret of my turn was not segregating him from the rest of the fortress sooner. He easily caused more damage than anything else during my turn.
"That way leads to the surface. We don't go to the surface."

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2023, 03:31:41 am »

Nod is the kind of dwarf who might bring down the place with wanton violence and the resulting melancholia. careful with that one.

Baprr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2023, 06:19:15 am »

Yeah, I guess it's better to kill off the problem citizen.

BudTomazi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2023, 06:27:01 pm »

This fort was a wild time, it's been a bit since I played dwarf fortress for real, let alone the steam release so this turn was kinda disastrous to be honest.  I don't think any previously born kids died during my run, but many other's did.  Anyways here's the summary. 

Starting off I kinda wanted to make a mushroom temple underground, just because, but the mining designations got a little unsafe and a few died in mining accidents. 

But at least on the subject of things dying I started taking care of the chicken population. 

More were killed than shown here, but there were probably more than one hundred chickens. 

After this I got scared that even another dwarf might be killed,

But thankfully the duke is really weak so it ended up being just a small slap on the leg.

Also something really strange, I didn't get any caravans for the first year, and no animals were really born.  Not sure what was up with that, eventually this happened:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I checked the map and the other units a few times but didn't see anyone, and the depot is toally accessible, so not really sure what happened, they ended up leaving a big pile of stuff at the edge of the map. 

At this point I began focusing on trying to actually get a kid born as this is the goal of the fort.  I feel like a problem with the current for is that about 25 of our 50 citizens are humans at this point, and they really get in the way of socializing.  Also since our for pop is so small compared to the size of the fort, the dwarves weren't doing much socialization in the first place.  Many of our dwarves were close friends with several humans and no dwarves, which isn't great for trying to get the dwarves married off.  So I threw the humans into the military, where many of them already were, and decided to breach the first cavern layer:

On opening this layer it revealed about 100 rodent people invaders.  While this battle was going on we started to have a problem with a minotaur on the surface as well.  So I closed the gate to the caverns, the humans had been victorious. 

I readied the ballistas at the gate and got the army in position up top.  I thought this battle would be simple, but unfortunately there was a side entrance into the fort which seemed leftover from the moat operation:

At this point I was kinda worried since the minotaur was now just fighting civillians in the corridor who had been hauling stuff to the surface. 

The minotaur killed someone, I forget who at this point, but ended up in a battle with a child, a poet, and a few war dogs.  It seems the war dogs were able to inflict enough minor wounds that the minotaur passed out from pain, allowing the child and poet to go to town. 

The fight ended as shown, with the poet killing the beast with the (large rose cut crystal opal) they were hauling.  I renamed the poet Theseus to commemorate the event. 

By this point about a year had passed, and we started getting caravans again

I kept trying for about a year in game time to get a kid, but the dwarves really just wouldn't comply so I just gave up and saved today. I may not have been successful, but I have a good idea of some of the issues that need to be addressed for the next ruler:

1. Too many humans - They really just seem to get in the way of socializing by forming friends with all the dwarves and not allowing them to become friends with each other. 

2. Too many jobs - Dwarves are working almost constantly so very little socialization gets to happen

3. Too many zones - Even when dwarves do have free time, I find one dwarf in every location from temples, to statue halls, to the tavern, and no one idling next to each other. 

Some other notes:

1. Don't open the first cavern without a good army, fewer rodent people now thanks to a blob of fire that throws fire balls:

2. Chickens are somewhat under control, but dogs are the next big problem, I spayed as many as it would let me, but there are quite a few. 

3. Tried making a little self sustaining marriage tank, but burrows seem to work differently in steam release, and the units kept getting unhappy and waiting to attend meetings with the duke and never socializing. 

Also happiness is a problem for a few dwarves, so be warned. 

Good luck to whoever takes this on next. 

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2023, 07:56:06 pm »

The fight ended as shown, with the poet killing the beast with the (large rose cut crystal opal) they were hauling.  I renamed the poet Theseus to commemorate the event. 

amazing. does the opal show a 'kill list' when you examine it? We should preserve that specific gem or something.

well done. a lot of effort was put into this I can tell haha. yeah maybe we do have a few too many zones - perhaps we can consolidate some of the temples or dining halls.

BudTomazi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2023, 02:04:16 am »

I checked and the opal is still being carried around by the poet, although they are mildly depressed, so hopefully they don't starve or dehydrate soon.  It seems the opal is now part of their regular clothing. 

Also here is my save since I forgot to add it at the end of my post:

https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16790

Baprr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2023, 03:57:45 am »

I'm glad the chicken problem is somewhat under control, but now I'm concerned we might have a dwarf problem. What's our current population?

Btw, I have an idea or two, and could try taking a turn, maybe even today)

Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2023, 05:01:03 pm »

It this rare to have dwarves and humans living in the same
fortress?   ( like a quarter of the population are humans)

I agree, we should keep the opal somewhere safe
« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 05:10:54 pm by Chicken »

Baprr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2023, 05:12:44 pm »

Not exactly rare, visitors will try to get residency pretty often, and if you accept everyone you're bound to have a large percentage of non-dwarf citizens. And since we are surrounded by human lands, most of our visitors are humans. I think the best solution is to not accept them that easily.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 07:53:04 pm by Baprr »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 26, 2023, 01:37:10 am »

I may be responsible for the overcrowding. I tend to just blindly accept requests from visitors (except troupes of bards. never accept troupes of bards.) so the humans were likely brought on in my turn and then petitioned for citizenship later on. Now, the tall ones work alongside us.

I would go for the turn Baprr, especially if you have time atm

Baprr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2023, 05:35:04 am »

I would go for the turn Baprr, especially if you have time atm

Oh, I'm already most of the way through second year of my turn.

Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 27, 2023, 12:07:48 am »

Can there ever be elves, humans, and dwarfs in the same fortress or will it cause unrest/unhappy citizens.

Thomasasia

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Vampromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 27, 2023, 03:48:01 am »

Can there ever be elves, humans, and dwarfs in the same fortress or will it cause unrest/unhappy citizens.

It can due to a difference of ethical beliefs and the resulting arguments. But It's not usually a big deal.

It this rare to have dwarves and humans living in the same
fortress?   ( like a quarter of the population are humans)

I agree, we should keep the opal somewhere safe

There is a treasure room where the opal would be safe and on display

I readied the ballistas at the gate and got the army in position up top.  I thought this battle would be simple, but unfortunately there was a side entrance into the fort which seemed leftover from the moat operation:

That's the drowning chamber I made, as described in my post. You lock them in there and flood it with water.
"That way leads to the surface. We don't go to the surface."

Baprr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 27, 2023, 04:48:51 pm »

Save first, explanation later.
https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16795

Of note:
- the Duke died.
- humans now have their own rooms.
- no migrants, no babies, only chickens but! Also a secret new bird!
- surprise waterfall saves the day.

Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 28, 2023, 08:39:24 pm »

I will be off vacation in abt 10 days, I'm interested to see the forts bc I could not view then for a whole month.

Btw is the chicken population in the 100s still?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7