Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 33

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Gladiator Tournament VIII  (Read 49864 times)

Headless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Gladiator Tournament VIII
« Reply #420 on: August 05, 2023, 02:27:14 pm »

I'm 0 for 3 with 12 coins left.  Bad luck I say bad luck.
Who wants to pay me not to bet on your fighter?

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: August 05, 2023, 03:20:10 pm »

Logem winced as the necromancer/surgeons reattached his mangled ear, still dripping with leech drool. He clenched his jaw involuntarily as the last suture went in, puffing a cloud of cigar smoke in the necromancer's face.

He thumbed the leech man's dented adamatium helm in his calloused hands. The bugger had put up quite a fight.

This next fella was a minotaur. Big dude, naked, only wields a copper shield. Logem shrugged. They all die the same way.

367 gold on Logem Branchsyrup, hero of The Northern Confederacy.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2023, 08:13:08 am by kesperan »
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

Stimraug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: August 06, 2023, 05:49:40 am »

Funny fight vs. Beast with how the armadillo man was able to showcase his shell.

Also again just laughable to see a level 2 kicker (time and time again) get through vastly higher skill levels in defense and score critical hits. I'm beginning to wonder if the default semimegabeast skill levels are just added on top of the testing arena skill settings.

On top of this the admins have given the beast extra points every round, which have compounded into further increases as apparently one doesn't even need skill upgrades to land singular match-ending hits.

But atleast the fights had character and the writing is top notch, really excited for logem finishing off the leech man, another unbalanced creature with missing body parts and self-healing attacks. Can't wait to see the rest, good luck to the fighters.

Stimraug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: August 06, 2023, 06:07:05 am »

Could someone with the knowhow actually use dwarf therapist in the testing arena and see if creatures with default skills in the raws preserve those skills on top of skill boosts given in the testing grounds creature menu? Thanks.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: August 06, 2023, 06:11:29 am »

I don’t think the extra 5 points per round gave the Beast a significant advantage, but I’d understand why you’d be annoyed. The size advantage is what made the difference there. One punch or kick to the head will tear your spinal cord.

The Minotaur had all his natural skills removed in the edited RAWs which is easy to do if you want to test some builds in arena mode.

And in the end the leech man had a weakness. He couldn’t drink blood through armour. Everyone has a weakness…

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: August 06, 2023, 10:56:31 am »

I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: August 06, 2023, 01:22:32 pm »

wow what a cute concept :3 I'd pay to listen to a live commentary of a hosted tourney haha

memmet

• Bay Watcher
  • Blasphemy!
    • View Profile
    • Free Comics
« Reply #427 on: August 07, 2023, 10:57:55 am »

The spreadsheet has Horof Dreadhoof with 130 points and Beast of Spearimpale with 135 points - which one is correct?

Per Mkhos, the Beast of Spearimpale's points have now been corrected to 130!

Beast of Spearimpale had 135 because of the 5 unused points from Round 4, isn't that right? Horof used all points before Round 4.
May your beard be long and your mug full.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: August 07, 2023, 11:47:50 am »

The spreadsheet has Horof Dreadhoof with 130 points and Beast of Spearimpale with 135 points - which one is correct?

Per Mkhos, the Beast of Spearimpale's points have now been corrected to 130!

Beast of Spearimpale had 135 because of the 5 unused points from Round 4, isn't that right? Horof used all points before Round 4.

It isn't your fault, but you were given too many points, every single round. Minotaurs should have 130, and you were given 135 by mistake. That has a compound effect and meant that you had significantly more points for the last round than you should have. (You might not have won that fight at all had the points been accurate.)

Round 1      130 points, spent 127, 3 remaining
Round 2      Should have 134.5, actually given 139.5, spent 104, remaining 35.5 (should have been 30.5)
Round 3      Should have 176, actually given 188, spent 144, remaining 44 (should have been 32)
Round 4      Should have 178, actually given 201, spent 196, remaining 5 (should be -18)
Round 5      Should have 130 (or 112), actually given 142.5

The management have decided not to redo the last round and instead have reset your points to 130. Does that make sense?

memmet

• Bay Watcher
  • Blasphemy!
    • View Profile
    • Free Comics
« Reply #429 on: August 07, 2023, 02:13:27 pm »

Does that make sense?
Yes, I understand now. Thank you for the explanation, Kesperan!

Stimraug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: August 08, 2023, 03:11:57 am »

I don’t think the extra 5 points per round gave the Beast a significant advantage, but I’d understand why you’d be annoyed. The size advantage is what made the difference there. One punch or kick to the head will tear your spinal cord.

The Minotaur had all his natural skills removed in the edited RAWs which is easy to do if you want to test some builds in arena mode.

And in the end the leech man had a weakness. He couldn’t drink blood through armour. Everyone has a weakness…

5 extra unspent points per round for 4 rounds compounding equates to many extra points for the latest round, that's several skill levels, definitely significant.

Indeed, critical hits can happen and we all sign up for RNG :) it's just that the beast has consistently almost or actually one-shot his opponents with lvl 2 skill, which is almost untrained.

Yeah, the RAWs were altered which made me so puzzled about the lvl 2 attacks bypassing lvl 7-9 dodging and shielding in the first place for several fights. Not to mention the pain penalties of having his arm cut off etc. other wounds.

Indeed, not being able to damage an enemy is a weakness which everyone may have.

My salt here originates from several admin errors, and the fact that if the Beast wins, I can't be 100% happy for him, knowing that a semimegabeast-sized enemy was also given extra help by admins to do so. But oh well, there's a lot of positive to focus on too, I guess.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2023, 03:20:22 am by Stimraug »

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: August 08, 2023, 08:44:34 am »

Went back and checked the tapes logs.... the few things that could stop dodging from working is if the dodger gets tired, so the beast held out the longest from bleeding out to stack on a bunch of whiff attacks that force Stimraug to dodge a bunch which probably led to a moment where the body grown too exhausted to keep it going thus the dodge skill dropped a bit(if I remember half?) until the grabs started happening which also prevents dodging so beast with like upgrade to 4 wrestler and some dodging could probably keep up the assault on someone who got the skill debuff from being exhausted.
Or this one faint practitioner of kisat dur opinions on how this fight went down. like whole bunch of dodging did happen at the start of the round but it doesn't last forever.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

memmet

• Bay Watcher
  • Blasphemy!
    • View Profile
    • Free Comics
« Reply #432 on: August 08, 2023, 01:25:47 pm »

Woe! Scandal! The release of an article in a certain dwarven newspaper has led to the sudden disappearance of the Beast's dwarven manager. His beard, though long, could not save him from the evidence of treachery. Few have asked where he has gone.

To the shock and horror of many a sheltered mountain dwarf, the Beast itself emerges today from the gladiators' quarters, gold in hand, and bets everything - on itself, of course! One wonders if the game has not been rigged all along.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: August 08, 2023, 02:42:19 pm »

Good luck, you're gonna need it, bub! - Logem.

Rendentare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: August 08, 2023, 08:44:55 pm »

The semi-finals.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"Double 91 is 182," the human woman mutters to herself, "Double that and that's only one hammer strike. Better than two. 91 Gold on Knifin' Around!"
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 33