Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: making animal traps  (Read 334 times)

Clatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
making animal traps
« on: June 10, 2023, 10:24:46 am »

I was messing around in 47 last night. I had queued up some animal traps. I hadn't messed with them much before.

I noticed my carpenter/wood crafter was idle when he had all these traps queued up.  When I removed them from the queue, the dwarf got straight to work.

I didn't see anything in the wiki about prerequisites for building them. There weren't any notices in the announcements for missing componants. Does a trapper build the animal traps or do carpenters?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: making animal traps
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2023, 02:26:12 pm »

As I recall, the Trapper labour-assignment/work-duty is needed to make an anima trap (of whatever material, at watever workshop, e.g. supercedes the metalsmithing skill when making metal ones at a forge).

But it has been a long time since I've had them made, myself, and I may be far from current with the latest Steam/unSteamed situation. As you're in right there at the crux of the issue, I'll leave you to test my vague thoughts on this. Just add them again, to block the queue, then grant the supposed-smith access to the trapping labour, however you choose to do that. If still no joy, and nobody knows better, then I'll run through some old versions and see when/if this vague recollection was true so we can perhaps find the devlogs about any changes.

Clatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: making animal traps
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2023, 08:32:51 pm »

As I recall, the Trapper labour-assignment/work-duty is needed to make an anima trap (of whatever material, at watever workshop, e.g. supercedes the metalsmithing skill when making metal ones at a forge).

That was it. Just as soon as I signed a dwarf to trapping, they came in and created it.  That makes sense. I just never noticed before.

That takes me to an unrelated question. I just noticed in 50.08, that there aren't any point costs to skills. Hence, the lack of an animal trapper in my fort in 47.

I was a little surprised. Having all the free skill points to distribute took some of the challenges away from setting up a party. Now, the first starting dwarfs are mega-talented. Is that a feature or a bug?