Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Finding a cave in the new version  (Read 2194 times)

Magirot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Finding a cave in the new version
« on: October 29, 2007, 06:02:00 pm »

Just downloaded the new version and started a game in the adventurer mode. With my character starting straight from the inn, I offered my service to the mayor, and got the regular cyclops slaying quest. The problem is that at these "Mines of Focus", I can't find the cave entrance! There are no clues of it's direction in the area itself, and with these new seamless transitions I could easily wander to other sites instead of carefully exploring the specific zone like in the previous versions.

Yeah, I'm sure that everyone is new to this version, but when someone figures it out, it would be nice to know. Also, sorry if this is supposed to be in the Gameplay Discussion -category.

Doler 12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Finding a cave in the new version
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 08:46:00 pm »

Indeed, it is very hard to find places now.
BLOCKQUOTE>quote:
Originally posted by Helmaroc:
<STRONG>I saw one peasant and all his family was dead of old age. Nephews, parents, grandparents, children, brothers. All dead. I let him jo

mikefictiti0us

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Radio Rivendell
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 09:07:00 pm »

UI_TEXT
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 08:13:21 am by mikefictiti0us »

subject name here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 09:55:00 pm »

I find it's easier if you press Q to go to the adventure log then press c (Whatever to zoom to current location button is) the cave should be somewhere within the blue highlighted area, that's how I found my first cave.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 11:25:00 pm »

Yeah, it's still very (too) hard, but if you use the Q quest zoom, you can at least know if you are looking at right place during a quest.  Helps to look during the day too.  Will have to add more for this.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Grue

• Bay Watcher
  • Fucked Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 04:26:00 am »

Actually now with that tip it doesn't look very hard at all. I think the cave is in the central O in that screen.

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 04:38:00 am »

Once you're on the actual site (not the world map) it is impossible to find the cave. The areas are too damn big and there's no logical thing to head for.

It should spawn you closer to the entrance.

Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

BDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007, 05:22:00 am »

I find the way the towns are sprawled over their area pretty confusing as well, and unfortunately you can't use the quest log/travel to get any closer to the weapon/armor store.
A HREF="http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=12&t=000218">A Kobold''s Quest

A Kobold''s Quest II

Magirot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2007, 08:42:00 am »

I did walk there with the T-map, but when zooming to the area itself where the cave should be, there's no clue where to go. The position where the character appears there seems to be random, so how exactly can you look for a central O?

Edit: Might be just bad luck though, I tried the adventurer mode only once.

[ October 30, 2007: Message edited by: Magirot ]

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2007, 01:12:00 pm »

In fact, the entrance can be anywhere in the O zone (oh crap, just reminds me of a painful summermusic. Dunno if you americans had to live this.) and not only in the middle O.

Also, it takes quit a long time to find a cave, and more to find your cyclop/ettin /giant/titan/bronze colossus/etc. It 'd be nice to be able to fill our waterskins with riverwater or rain, now that it becomes critical.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2007, 05:45:00 pm »

You should be able to fill your waterskin at a river or pool now.  Though I've forgotten if it's from 'e' or 'g'.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Magirot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2007, 08:47:00 pm »

Ah well, it took a long time to find the entrance, but at least it can't be missed that easily anymore when it's finally on the screen.

Sylverone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://sylverone.deviantart.com
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2007, 01:41:00 am »

I have a suggestion to fix this problem; Toady has spoken about a minimap (I think that's what he called it... maybe mid-map?). If I understood correctly, this is a view somewhere between 'travel view' and 'site view', similar to the low-detail fortress map you could access in the previous version in fortress mode.

How about this; when you reach the site of your quest (or maybe you could do this at any site), you could use a low-detail mid-map, on which your quest destination would be marked. That way you could at least know the entrance's rough position. After that, I don't think that the tiny amount of manual searching required would be a bad thing.

I really hope that you can understand what I'm trying to say. It's tough to explain things without being able to recall details...

edit for clarity: realize that I've not yet had time to play the new version, so I don't know what it's like. I might revise my suggestion after playing.

[ October 31, 2007: Message edited by: Sylverone ]

Grue

• Bay Watcher
  • Fucked Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2007, 03:28:00 am »

Sylverone, you'll probably find your suggestion to be already implemented   :)

Red Bean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2007, 04:12:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Koji:
<STRONG>Once you're on the actual site (not the world map) it is impossible to find the cave. The areas are too damn big and there's no logical thing to head for.

It should spawn you closer to the entrance.</STRONG>

I think what Mr. Toady means is that when you are already at the site, use the Quest log and hit z while your current quest is selected.  It will then show you a zoomed out view of the area you're in, with the general direction you need to go highlighted.

Thank you Toady.  This makes the work MUCH easier.

Pages: [1] 2