Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stone weapons  (Read 410 times)

JakeSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stone weapons
« on: June 06, 2023, 03:55:52 pm »

I can't download Konold Kamp so I'm modding them myself to be playable as a stone-age faction.
Is there a notice difference between wood/stone/metal weapons in the based game?
Like will a gabbro spear function better or worse than a copper or Oak wood spear?
*edit: Oh and is there a way to force the A.I Kobold civ to use stone weapons as right now they all seem to have copper, bronze, iron and silver for some reason, thanks!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2023, 03:57:32 pm by JakeSlayer »
VALLHALLA HUNGERS!!!
-JakeSlayer

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stone weapons
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2023, 05:17:12 pm »

a steel spear is very deadly.
a copper spear is deadly
a wood spear is probably somewhat deadly. (out of the right wood?)

From older research, wood works fine in menacing spike traps. But wood is way more effective if heavy.

the primary damage comes from low contact area combined with sharpness.
but weight is also a factor.

Kobolds have all metals because they steal the metal from other civs. They don't craft it themselves.
I don't remember which tag that's from, but it can be removed.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
Re: Stone weapons
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2023, 03:07:21 am »

"Lore" wise they have metal weapons because they steal them, mechanicaly wise they have the some tokens to imitate that.

I'm not sure if it is different in the new version but up until 0.47.xx Kobolds have the [METAL_PREF] token in their entity definitions along with a comment that it is so, in order to give them metal weapons.

If I remember correctly the [STONE_PREF] and [PERMITTED_JOB:FURNACE_OPERATOR] tokens are also neccessary for a civ to have access to metals and metal items during world gen and embark.

About forcing the ai civs to use stone weapons, I think it might be possible if you add the [CAN_STONE] token to their weapons and mod the corresponding stones to be sharpenable like obsidian.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.