Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: how to buy the spiffy plate in the shop?  (Read 769 times)

Snee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
how to buy the spiffy plate in the shop?
« on: February 06, 2007, 11:57:00 am »

It's exceptional, but the merchant will only let me offer him so much... I've been stealing food and selling it to him to increase the amount, but it seems like he's ignoring most of my currency....

how do I get him to notice the obscene quantity of gold I am carrying?

also which description words imply the best quality item, in terms of function?

thanks for all advice

Snee

Momaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: how to buy the spiffy plate in the shop?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 04:31:00 am »

Quality levels: http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Quality

I'm fair sure that merchants will only accept coin from their faction. Humans ABC will not accept the coins of Humans XYZ at face value. Same goes for coins found in dungeons: they must be converted to local currency (at a significant loss) before you can spend them.

If you're strapped for cash, roam over to the nearest ruin, and take all their stuff.  Baubles like rings and earrings, etc, are light weight and fairly valuable.

Snee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 01:12:00 pm »

thanks... turns out my guy was just sneaking around town, for the skill bump, when an axe lord spotted me, took offense and one shotted me.

Another problem I am having is that the mechants I want to buy from keep getting killed off.

Occasionally enormous melees spontaneously erupt in town with pschotics slaughtering eaxh other including the little children (and merchants) what causes this and how do I prevent it?

Or at least find it in time to participate, usually I see the messages but only find the bodies much later.

Thanks for all replies.

Snee

Snee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 02:59:00 am »

Interesting development in my current game... I went seeking a minotaur, and found some sort of fortress.

The downside is I was fairly deep in when I suddenly became tired and very quickly overexerted. (why so little warning?)

Now I'm on the ground dragging myself toward the enterance when the minotaur shows up... even though I killed half a dozen critters including an iron man from this position I dont like my odds.

Can I become unexerted by using the 5 key, or the period? is my best bet just to keep running for the map edge?

I've learned the joy of strangling with this adventurer, and am loath to give him up...

Thanks for all advice.

Snee the Self-replying

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 03:32:00 am »

Mass stranglings tax the toughest adventurer.

That said, any turn spent not strangling something will refill your stamina.  Minotaurs aren't extremely fast, so dance around him until you are refreshed enough to strangle him too.

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 04:26:00 am »

A complicating factor may be that skills drop when you go thirsty, tired, stunned, etc.  If you're carrying a ton of stuff and your Armor User skill drops, not only will you be exhausted, your movement rate can drop to 100 in an instant...