Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Under Supernova (update: needs improvement, buy if want to support the dev)  (Read 2325 times)

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is a city builder/colony builder on a space wide scale where you can go to various planets to colonize. Think sim ant/sim earth and a bit of dwarf fortress I guess (though reminds me more of sim ant tbh even though they aren't ants). Its not ascii art, but its not that far from a modded dwarf fortress art style or sim earth even with how kinda basicly primitive it is. But it does seem gameplay makes up for it.

Onto the game.

The art is primitive as I've said, this isn't a game if you need the best graphics or even ok graphics, its more like a primitive sim ant/or more like sim earth style almost (which I reference that on purpose, besides how it looks) and the game is highly...can't say complex just yet, but huge learning curve and you can go into space and build cities (yes cities) and colonies on various planets.

Here is the link, just expect a very primitive looking game: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2416770/_Under_Supernova/

Its like a 5 dollar game, literally only 5 dollars I believe I paid for it. Maybe it was a little less. So maybe the low price point puts people initially off, but does seem there is a lot there despite the low price.

Its from china, but 99% translated to english and next patch he is going to finish the rest of the translation apparently. Just two menus haven't been translated as far as I can tell. The UI could use work, but hopefully my suggestion to be able to close the inventory screen gets put in, because I think the UI is going to put a lot of people off. I'd even argue and wait for the ability to close the inventory, because its kinda a rather annoying thing. I personally can overlook it, don't think most would.

However, mostly its the inventory menu is the issue with the UI. There are other issues, but simply being able to close it would be a huge (and easy to do) improvement. it takes up the entire left side of the screen almost (like 75% of it on 1920x1080) and is kinda sore on the eyes. If he puts in to close it, it would improve the UI a lot imo.

So, I've had almost 3 hours into this game. I wrote a guide (basics just to get started) and an initial review 20 minutes in. I'm figuring it out, and there is a HUGE learning curve. The way you control things seems a bit wonky, and takes getting used to. Its not very user friendly, but...

The game actually really reminds me of sim earth (not like a eco simulator...don't think? But it does seem to put in the approach of a dynamic environment and the planet seems to change. And something about planets are able to die out or be terraformed? Not sure since haven't got that far). and sim ant in a lot of ways. Its less dwarf fortress to me, more sim ant. While there are similarities to both, the game for some reason still reminds me more like I'm playing sim ant with a little(?) bit of sim earth.

When you clear cut a forest, fungus and grass starts spreading and molds/spores. I cleared a huge forest and some flowers showed up to. Haven't seen wildfires yet though, but the planets can be bombarded by an (evil) species or something thats out to destroy things I guess. I have a lot to learn still.

It may sound like I'm being negative about the game, but I just want to put it all out there. Its not a game if need even just ok graphics. But since this is bay12 and dwarf fortress was ascii, doubt its an issue for most here. Its 2d very basic art with not much to it. But the gameplay seems to make up for it, though how good it is into space and stuff not entirely sure as I haven't got there. Honestly, might find out the game ends leaving the planet and got scammed out of 5 dollars :P But the dev said it starts on a planet into space, and can control a ship and stuff...so...I doubt the former is gonna happen.

But from the description, stuff I've read, what I've personally experienced, the gameplay is good if you like indepth almost simulator-like experience. And want something that may (or may not but to me it does) vaguely reminds you of sim ant/sim earth and a little dwarf fortress.

Oh...and...to add

It has Z-levels. Can dig down, can dig up. So that is a thing one doesn't see very often these days.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2023, 08:55:32 pm by The_Explorer »

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Under Supernova (a game that sounds good, but is it?)
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2023, 11:11:05 am »

And just like that, now inventory can be closed. Looks much better to me that way, even though there is still improvements can be made. Figured it be the simple and quick option, because the inventory screen was pretty...hmmm...almost game breaking

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2023, 06:19:50 pm »

... maybe after it's more fully translated into English.

( Tchey )

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://jeux1d100.net/
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2023, 07:19:20 am »

Hello,

It seems nice indeed, but "is it ?" is truely a question to ask, as everything feels clunky and community is tiny without much anything in english, yet.

What is left after you fight against the GUI, how is the gameplay and will to play after the first few hours ?

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2023, 10:13:39 am »

Actually, as far as I can tell, at least early on before space, everything IS in english. He added english to the seeds menu and the blueprint area, which was the last non-english things in the early game. Can't speak for the space stuff translations.

Though the game is pretty confusing still because of the UI. While its nice the inventory can be closed and that cleans it up, it is pretty clunky how you interact with the game (more due to the UI more than the controls which are fine). Like, dunno how to research stuff yet and dunno even where to find that...doesn't help progress anything.

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2023, 10:23:46 am »

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2416770/view/3677798233178062685?l=english

Any player that has played dwarf fortress for a long time (or/and rimworld) can get a free key, as long as they live stream it. Likely doesn't need to be twitch only, could probably just livestream it on youtube. If anyone here streams at all. A promotional thing the person is doing for the game, but pretty typical thing to do to get noticed.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2023, 10:53:26 am »

Hmm, I meet the Steam hours for Rimworld - I wonder how difficult it would be to set up a streaming account (never done it before.)

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2023, 11:05:34 am »

Hmm, I meet the Steam hours for Rimworld - I wonder how difficult it would be to set up a streaming account (never done it before.)

Good question, never done it before either.

Just whoever gets this and takes advantage, its uhm...very very confusing lol. And rather janky. I got the very early game down pretty well and the basics. But still lots to learn. I'm liking it personally, but I like funky games like this. Mostly though, I really want to see what space is like but got some ways to go for that. Kinda reminds me of trying to figure out aurora 4x tbh or maybe not so hard, but maybe more like dwarf fortress when I first played it and had no idea what to do or how anything worked or even the controls.

But he has made the translations way better at least, and the UI isn't as bad as it was since the inventory can be closed. It was stuck open before and took up a huge part of the screen.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2023, 02:51:58 pm »

Oh, it's only $6.99? I thought it was more expensive. I think I will just give them my money.  8)

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2023, 08:07:07 am »

Hm, I think I have enough hours and have been wanting to get into streaming for a bit. This is the kind of unique game that may attract people anyways just for the novelty of it. May take a look.
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2023, 10:07:10 pm »

When you reload a save after closing the game, it seems to completely break.

It also is running suspiciously slow...not to say there is a bitcoin miner thing going on when running the game, but its a lot slower than it should be. Its probably just bad code, but...its surprisingly laggy for what is there

My PC can run circles around almost any game, so it isn't my PC

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2023, 10:18:33 pm »

Frustrating. Maybe I will wait until those issues are fixed.

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2023, 10:21:26 pm »

Yeah, especially if the save thing isn't just my PC doing it for some reason. I let him know, cause if can't continue saves...kinda game breaking

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2023, 11:26:03 pm »

Yeah, especially if the save thing isn't just my PC doing it for some reason. I let him know, cause if can't continue saves...kinda game breaking

Also let me know if it's one of those "He says he fixed it, but it keeps breaking". It's a sign of a developer that bit off more than he can chew, and a game that might not be finished this decade.

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2023, 09:17:40 am »

Also let me know if it's one of those "He says he fixed it, but it keeps breaking". It's a sign of a developer that bit off more than he can chew, and a game that might not be finished this decade.

Apparently its a small team, not just one person interestingly enough. They even apparently have a tester, though I guess he has weekends off which is fine since...its the weekend. So it isn't like a game made by one random person. No idea who the others are or how many exactly, but more than one at least and I assume less than 10 since its a "very" "small" team.

Either way, next patch is supposed to fix the save problem. So will see.

As for performance, he said because there is so much in the game it likely needs optimization.

It is kinda surprising how fast they fix things. it does use the...Gidot?godot? Engine. I guess a free engine so heh. I have no idea what that engine is except it advertises it as being easy to use. But lots of good games are made by free engines. Heck, maybe all game engines are free, apparently a quick very lazy search on google shows even unreal engine is free apparently? I searched "free game engine" and it shows up, always assumed had to pay for things like that. Dunno, never even ever looked for a second all these years what these game engines cost lol. I guess the cost is free for a lot of them. I mean, all I see is "game good" "game bad", almost never pay attention to that. Just never heard of godot until this game.
Pages: [1] 2