Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: The Universes of Destiny - succession world  (Read 6338 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: The Universes of Destiny - succession world
« Reply #60 on: July 26, 2023, 11:42:36 pm »

Quick update as I scramble to finish my time:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Erush's position as expedition leader is immortalized among the fortress' statues - including one right near the entrance to hopefully remind future adventurers about Bedbugs' turbulent past. I'll probably make some statues of dwarves being struck down by birds as well.

The kitchens roar to life as we try and make the most varied and disgusting meals possible for any future adventurers - camel cheese, bird tallow, yak intestine and dingo brain roasts.

Work on Bedbugs proper finally begins.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2023, 07:02:28 am »

The kitchens roar to life as we try and make the most varied and disgusting meals possible for any future adventurers - camel cheese, bird tallow, yak intestine and dingo brain roasts.

So, some kind of fatty sausages?

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2023, 03:47:03 pm »

why is ham so expensive irl ? this shocked me recently

just take your time honestly. I'm up next on the list and ... I can wait some time longer, certainly. I want to see where Bedbugs goes you know? its such a great name lol

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2023, 09:30:21 am »

=Bedbugs=
 The Journey to Make

Part 3: Bedbugs

More mouths meant more mouths to feed, beds to build, goblets to carve, cabinets embellished. We lost ourselves in the work, the mining, the measuring, the brewing.

Perhaps Inod was right. 3 months later, I caught myself laughing in the narrow-carved tavern. Bedbugs had become a home.

And I, Erush, am the leader of this home.

In defiance of nature, of Conngimzanor's Shadow on these lands, we establish a home for the workers, and dig the foundations of the respite from the wilds we planned here from the very beginning.

A curving corridor, with plenty of rooms to spare.

The limestone walls are malleable to our wills. We carve decorations on the walls and floors.

The carvings bare the spirits of the newcomers - baguette cut cabochons, cubic cubes, flower and plants, creatures mundane and mythic.

And many bare the sad tale I told each newcomer.

Of beak and talon.

If only you were all here to see this.

The foundations laid. The first steps of our triumph. Inod and I bare the burden, my friends.

The rumors of Bedbugs spread. We begin drawing the attention of the locals.

These violent lands can only foster the vilest of monsters.

Yet, they come friendly, and unfeathered.

You never know someone's upbringing - appearances are often deceiving.

The dwarves of Bedbugs open all taverns and guildhalls to all travellers.

Not just the dwarves of Bedbugs.

Me.

Soured to the world as I am.

As I was.

What is an inn if not a place for everyone?

And what is Bedbugs if not an inn?

Without the inn, this is merely the grave of my friends.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I went so hard in trying to make disgusting food, that I cooked all our seeds on accident...

why is ham so expensive irl ? this shocked me recently

My only answer to this is "where's the beef?"

Bedbugs is almost complete, just needs a bit more decoration, and then I'll likely retire her. This fort has produced more babies than any fort I've had before. Even after this screenshot, we got 2 more. Going to nick-name them all and hopefully come across them in the future.

Spoiler: babies (click to show/hide)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 30, 2023, 09:19:15 am »

=Bedbugs=
 The Journey to Make

Part 4: Peace

The final bricks are placed, and our glorious gravestone is completed.

Inod and I will stand eternally at the south door, greeting any visitors who survive the journey.

The east door presents an image of what the wilds hold.

5 statues to the 5 lost.

On the second floor, I requested a depiction of those dark days.

In an uncharacteristic flight of fantasy, I imagined this hall as a museum of ancient artifacts. Visited by gods on earth, by great adventurers and heroes, by exotic animalmen. Alas, it is only a hall with a few pedestals and chests. A few beds for the weary travellers of this realm.

Necromancers and wily undead keep visiting, so I'm still unsure if the beds are comfortable.

Inod...

Inod, my true friend.

Thank you for remembering her as she was, not as she died.

All that is left, is to name this place.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Save is here!

Unidest after Bedbugs

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2023, 07:47:50 pm »

the masons of dwarf fortress are far more creative than those of our world. An intense dedication to recreating a huge variety of random creatures... this is the mark of a dwarven sculptor.

nicely survived. "Bedbugs: we got attacked by birds but things are better now"

picking this up for a short to medium length turn. 

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 04, 2023, 01:26:42 am »

Interesting world! Can I be added to the list?

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 05, 2023, 04:59:00 am »

added. updated the OP with links. I'm looking forward to spending some time recording the histories of the remaining two civilizations, or maybe the history of one of the many necromancer kings roaming the lands. any opinions here?

I've been playing quite a bit - 'Squidtowers' - a grand excuse to build a very large castle complex in the shape of a gigantic squid. located nearby Bedbugs on the confluence of two rivers and a lake-spring, the overall existence is extremely peaceful
« Last Edit: August 05, 2023, 05:17:39 am by Salmeuk »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 06, 2023, 05:19:30 pm »

save here - https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16803

rng blessed me with the name Towersquids (which I managed to mix up in my last post). being determined to produce some squid-related architecture, it occurred to me upon embark how squid-like the river was, as it curled towards the eastern lakeshore, and so the dream began..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K96JQ_H5Isc

it was only a few short years later that the tower, or rather, short-walled monument, lay in a state of half-completion. the bodies were beginning to accumulate, more coffins were needed... the overseer took one look at the large flocks of gigantic falcons and calculated this was the time to leave. and so quit while he was ahead.

I tried to learn from the events at Bedbugs and so avoided mass tree-felling, but eventually my small clear-cuts triggered the local fauna. Amongst the giant bluebirds, ospreys, and redwinged blackbirds were ground infantry units composed of small, fluffy capybaras.

I curse the player who unleashed the capys from their primordial state and turned them into the fearsome and highly expansionist creatures. Waterlures was a mistake, I tell you!!

anyways good fun was had. some places on the map are more exciting than others. If you want a combat challenge Bralbaard try to embark very close to necro towers or breach the caverns early or something.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 06, 2023, 05:36:30 pm »

Thanks! I'll pick it up tomorrow.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 06, 2023, 07:31:14 pm »

I'm looking forward to watching what happened! Towersquids is a good name. I'll join up for a turn after Bral.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 08, 2023, 05:16:24 pm »

Machineroads

Many have said that dwarves are a thing of the past, that the dwarven civilisations of old have fallen, with the last dwarves holed up in a few remaining strongholds, waiting for their death.
Today is the day we will prove them wrong, The day we will show the world that dwarven engineering and construction are still unparalleled in this world. Today is the start of the Machineroad project! A mechanical contraption on an enormous scale that will allow for nearly instantaneous travel between the fortresses of Bedbugs and Towersquids. Gone are the days that dwarves had to travel on foot. In this new future dwarven adventurers will travel by minecart!

This 'Machineroad' will consist of at least four sections, and will depend heavily on the visions of the legendary philosopher-engineer "Timeless Bob"

Machineroad Section one: Machineroad the Bed of Bugs

Listen recruits! the seven of you have been assigned to a mission of great importance.
We know the area between Bedbugs and Towersquids is dangerous, with deadly aggitated birds and birdfolk, and several nearby necromancer towers. The strategy for the project will be to complete the sections so fast that the necromancers have no time to realize we are here, and the animals have no time to become agitated. This requires planning and discipline! The planning has been taken care of. We embarked with all the stone we need for the project, we bought over 400 quartzite stones, that upon embark, can be cut into 1600 stone blocks. There will be no need for mining, we can start the work right after embark. 

The masterminds at the mountainhome have loaded all these stones on a single cart. You heard that right! Trade caravans complain if they go a single urist over their weight limit, but our two brave yak cows have pulled 406 quartzite rocks, and our other supplies through the swamp without a single complaint, until the very moment the wheel came of the cart:

Recruits, you will do well to remember the example set by these yaks, and accept to bear your burden here without complaint. We have no time for luxury or side quests. We are here just to build the machineroad. You have been provided with a basic shelter for sleeping, and for storing the food. This is all you will get. We will construct workshops on the surface as needed for the machineroad construction, and building that road is all we will do! Again we will accept no complaints, no strange moods and no tantrums, now get to work!

« Last Edit: August 09, 2023, 05:54:55 am by Bralbaard »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 08, 2023, 06:37:01 pm »

Ooo! Fun idea!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 08, 2023, 08:44:06 pm »

A brave quest. Cutting the fantasy equivalent of the the Darién gap . . . good luck and bring a shotgun!.

also, I recall Timeless Bob quite well! they had a rather impressive ability to construct challenges and conceits. I think they made a number of good suggestion threads as well.

if only i had the power to summon all the various legendary forum members and mega posters from times past. .

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 09, 2023, 04:10:36 am »

This will be an interesting to see work as I always wondered how a dwarven rail road would work out.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6